Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Very conservative Robot

#1 User is offline   themarc 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-September-10, 18:15

Cruising along in an individual when this hand pops up. https://tinyurl.com/y4ycso56

My robot decides to make a limit raise with this hand. Every other robot jumps straight to 4S. Those who passed with my hand find robot opening 1S and easily get to 4 or 5. What gives?

#2 User is offline   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-10, 18:51

View Postthemarc, on 2020-September-10, 18:15, said:

My robot decides to make a limit raise with this hand. Every other robot jumps straight to 4S.

There is no way any robot could possibly have jumped to 4, because 4 is a weak preemptive bid. Perhaps you meant that all of the humans sitting in South jumped to 4 (which is a commonly seen beginner mistake).

Basic GIB works solely by point count; it requires 13 total points to game force with 2NT, and will stick to a limit raise with 12. It counts total points by adding points for shortness, but not when that shortness includes an honor, so it counts this as 12 (but would game force if you moved the club or heart honor elsewhere).

But yes, of course its evaluation method is pretty poor as this is an obvious 2NT bid.

#3 User is offline   jeigh 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-11, 11:16

Not sure why a robot would jump to 4 either. But it's mind-boggling that any partner, real or imaginary, would think of that hand as being any less than game forcing. It's like issuing a mild caution to the village while the lava is torrenting down the mountainside.

I'm not a particularly good bridge player. But this system isn't helping me. It's like somebody's fed the GIB program a new and improved stupid pill.

#4 User is offline   themarc 

• PipPip

Posted 2020-September-11, 12:45

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-September-10, 18:51, said:

There is no way any robot could possibly have jumped to 4, because 4 is a weak preemptive bid. Perhaps you meant that all of the humans sitting in South jumped to 4 (which is a commonly seen beginner mistake).

Basic GIB works solely by point count; it requires 13 total points to game force with 2NT, and will stick to a limit raise with 12. It counts total points by adding points for shortness, but not when that shortness includes an honor, so it counts this as 12 (but would game force if you moved the club or heart honor elsewhere).

But yes, of course its evaluation method is pretty poor as this is an obvious 2NT bid.

Yes, you are right, my mistake, it was all humans who jumped to 4S. Thanks for the explanation of the GIB algorithm. At least I know now the robot wasn't out to get me.

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-September-11, 15:08

View Postthemarc, on 2020-September-11, 12:45, said:

At least I know now the robot wasn't out to get me.

That is a conclusion not supported by facts. B-)

#6 User is offline   wbartley 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-September-27, 15:12

You can't blame it all on the bot. I would bid game opposite a limit raise with your hand without hesitation.

In fact, double dummy analysis indicates that game makes 50% of the time with the North hand opposite an arbitrary 10-12 "point" limit raise.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users