Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claiming

#1 User is offline   Texaschic 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-06, 08:07

Recently a declarer claimed the remainder of the tricks. At that point, all 4 hands were shown. I saw that declarer could claim if she knew to play a particular card from dummy. Seeing all 4 hands, it would be obvious to play that card, but without seeing how the cards lay, she would have a decision to make. It seemed to me that claiming showed her the correct line of play. Am I missing something?

#2 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2020-October-06, 08:58

View PostTexaschic, on 2020-October-06, 08:07, said:

Recently a declarer claimed the remainder of the tricks. At that point, all 4 hands were shown. I saw that declarer could claim if she knew to play a particular card from dummy. Seeing all 4 hands, it would be obvious to play that card, but without seeing how the cards lay, she would have a decision to make. It seemed to me that claiming showed her the correct line of play. Am I missing something?

When declarer claims, she can see only her hand and that of dummy.
Only you, as an opposition player, can see all four hands and make an appropriate decision about accepting/rejecting the claim. As long as you make no comment which might help declarer, she is in no better position to make the best play when you reject her claim and force her to play.
Of course she should have announced her line of play when claiming and, in theory, if she does not, a director may determine a worse line of play - thus disadvantaging declarer for having made an unexplained claim.
Accordingly, declarer should never get an advantage by claiming.

#3 User is offline   Texaschic 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2020-October-06, 10:04

View Postjandrew, on 2020-October-06, 08:58, said:

When declarer claims, she can see only her hand and that of dummy.
Only you, as an opposition player, can see all four hands and make an appropriate decision about accepting/rejecting the claim. As long as you make no comment which might help declarer, she is in no better position to make the best play when you reject her claim and force her to play.
Of course she should have announced her line of play when claiming and, in theory, if she does not, a director may determine a worse line of play - thus disadvantaging declarer for having made an unexplained claim.
Accordingly, declarer should never get an advantage by claiming.

thanks. I thought i was missing something. Thanks for clarifying

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users