Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

History Deleting old history

#1 User is offline   Oormie 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2021-July-28, 14:09

There is no way to delete old <history>. Why would BBO want to accumulate in its database information no one needs? There should be either an option for players to delete old history or an automatic deletion after a sey time, say, 3 months.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2021-July-29, 01:23

Somebody can correct me, but BBO does archive hand histories after about 6 months. Currently, players can't access archived hands, but BBO retains a backup. As for a player randomly deleting hands, the hands don't belong to a single player, they belong to every player who was at the table, and if a tournament, to every player in the tournament.

#3 User is offline   jandrew 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2021-July-29, 02:32

BBO archives the hand records after precisely three months and there is no apparent way for players to access those archives.
It is right that BBO should preserve those archives for an extended period in case they are required to help with research - for example : computer play or cheating allegations.
I would certainly not support the right of any single player to delete the hand records.

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-July-31, 14:10

I'm just guessing, but I think the OP is talking about forum history, not tournament history.

We don't delete this because there doesn't seem to be a good reason to do it. We have plenty of disk space on the forum database server.

#5 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-31, 15:34

View Postbarmar, on 2021-July-31, 14:10, said:

I'm just guessing, but I think the OP is talking about forum history, not tournament history.

We don't delete this because there doesn't seem to be a good reason to do it. We have plenty of disk space on the forum database server.

I really hope not :)
Many things written here have dubious value, but they don't expire after 3 months like butter, beer or whatever.
Some old posts are invaluable, unlike almost any old hands.

#6 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-31, 17:12

View Postpescetom, on 2021-July-31, 15:34, said:

I really hope not :)
Many things written here have dubious value, but they don't expire after 3 months like butter, beer or whatever.
Some old posts are invaluable, unlike almost any old hands.

Sometimes threads from 10 or 12 years ago are miraculously revived for no apparent reason. :lol:

#7 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2021-July-31, 17:15

View Postbarmar, on 2021-July-31, 14:10, said:

If OP was talking about forum history, there already is a "Delete" option for each post where the OP can delete their post, or just edit it to show nothing.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2021-August-02, 17:19

View Postjohnu, on 2021-July-31, 17:15, said:

If OP was talking about forum history, there already is a "Delete" option for each post where the OP can delete their post, or just edit it to show nothing.

The OP has only been a member for a few days, so I don't think they're talking about their own posting history.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users