• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AN EBU scoring problem

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-May-23, 16:59

Of course, if you have BridgePads/BridgeMates, then there's no excuse for NS not checking the incoming pair numbers, since the device should say who's expected.

Some day automated scoring devices will be as common as bidding boxes are, but as you say, that's currently just a dream.

#22 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-May-23, 17:39

There may be no excuse, but not one in three ever does.

Fortunately, better clubs now have BM2s, so they show names not pair numbers. Even if North does not deliberately check them, it might occur to him that these two grumpy old men are not really called Stephanie and Helene.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#23 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 01:32

View Postbluejak, on 2012-May-23, 17:39, said:

Fortunately, better clubs now have BM2s,

Some very fine clubs are making do with BM1s. I even know of a small club that still uses travellers (anyone remember those?)!
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#24 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 02:09

View Postmycroft, on 2012-May-23, 12:52, said:

Well, we do 7 tables, 28 boards and a 4-board sitout. That's so much better :-). Note, by "we", I don't mean "me" - I find a better movement. But sometimes I play...

I'd run a 24-board hesitation mitchell if we did 24 boards, and I'd make the sitout pair 1NS, so that there was no board sharing. I have an 8-table hesitation mitchell guide card at my club (so I can do 9 rounds, 27 boards), which I put out on table 8 (as everybody else is (usually) fine).

There are programs out there - if you hunt hard, sometimes - that will print guide cards for your movement on demand. If you run the 7-table, 24-board Hesitation Mitchell frequently, I'd print out at least the hesitation table (and possibly the tables opposite the bye-stand).

I use the 7 table Hesitation Mitchell frequently, and have never needed guide cards. If I have a half table I put the missing pair on table 7, so that it's mostly NS pairs who sit out. I check that the right pairs move/stay at T7 for round 2, and thereafter it looks after itself.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#25 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-May-24, 09:49

Heh - I would expect the difference between us is that when I run a Hesitation Mitchell, the people playing it have only played this movement the other two times I did something weird like that...
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users