BBO Discussion Forums: Responding to Stayman with 4-4 majors - BBO Discussion Forums

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responding to Stayman with 4-4 majors Alerting question

#141 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-November-09, 12:57

I have documentation (1973) that the correct answer bid to Stayman 2 over a 1NT opening bid by a hand holding both major suits is 2.
A footnote states that Stayman originally had 2 as the correct answer with such a hand, but that this had been abandoned in Europe.

#142 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-09, 15:15

View Postpran, on 2012-November-09, 12:57, said:

I have documentation (1973) that the correct answer bid to Stayman 2 over a 1NT opening bid by a hand holding both major suits is 2.
A footnote states that Stayman originally had 2 as the correct answer with such a hand, but that this had been abandoned in Europe.

How can there be a "correct answer" ? This is not mathematics. Players can choose their own methods, which are all valid. A 40-year-old quote about a misnamed convention from 70 years ago in another country is hardly grounds for defining expectations.

#143 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2012-November-10, 00:10

View Postpaua, on 2012-November-09, 15:15, said:

How can there be a "correct answer" ? This is not mathematics. Players can choose their own methods, which are all valid. A 40-year-old quote about a misnamed convention from 70 years ago in another country is hardly grounds for defining expectations.

"Correct" in the sense that it was how Stayman originally defined his convention, and "correct" in the sense how it was eventually unanimously changed, at least in Europe.

Players may certainly choose their own methods, but they should not use an already well defined name for them.

Ranik Halle sometimes said when he met players who claimed that their 2 opening bid was "Halle's" that it really was not; as originator of that convention he felt justified in claiming knowledge of what "Halle's" was and was not.

#144 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-10, 04:13

We know from old texts that "Stayman" has been consistently used to describe the convention whether 2 does or does not promise a 4-card major and whether the response with both majors is 2, 2, or could be either; it is wrong to say that the name "Stayman" means any of these things rather than any other.

For those of us in England, the regulations say that Stayman is to be announced "where it is used in the traditional manner to ask for a four-card major, ie with responses 2 with no major, and 2 and 2 to show that major." Consequently an announcement of "Stayman" is consistent with any of the specific agreements above.

#145 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2012-November-12, 09:56

View Postpran, on 2012-November-10, 00:10, said:

"Correct" in the sense that it was how Stayman originally defined his convention, and "correct" in the sense how it was eventually unanimously changed, at least in Europe.

Since Stayman did not invent the convention [Marx in England and Rapee in the USA at a similar time] I am not sure that how Stayman originally defined it matters, and it certainly has not been unanimously changed [ask a couple of my partners].

But if you look at books on conventions, one of the problems with such books is that they tend to tell you how a method is played, when in fact many people play it differently. Similarly with books on systems. The authors find that giving options does not help, and they tend to say their way is the way.

The problem with most conventions is that a majority of people play them one particular way and assume that everyone else plays them that particular way as well. My experience over the years is that people play them in vastly different ways - just ask people who play Aspro, Astro, Asptro, Crowhurst and so forth.

Possibly modern American methods are better standardised because there are certain authorities that people follow, but even so if someone tells me something is a Bergen raise I reckon that covers at least four possibilities. One of my partners suggested we play Bergen, so I told her I would if she explained it to me. After saying things like "Of course you know it, David" and "Everyone plays it" she finally explained it. Certainly not what I would have understood!
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#146 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2012-November-12, 10:26

View Postbluejak, on 2012-November-12, 09:56, said:

Since Stayman did not invent the convention [Marx in England and Rapee in the USA at a similar time] I am not sure that how Stayman originally defined it matters, and it certainly has not been unanimously changed [ask a couple of my partners].

But if you look at books on conventions, one of the problems with such books is that they tend to tell you how a method is played, when in fact many people play it differently. Similarly with books on systems. The authors find that giving options does not help, and they tend to say their way is the way.

The problem with most conventions is that a majority of people play them one particular way and assume that everyone else plays them that particular way as well. My experience over the years is that people play them in vastly different ways - just ask people who play Aspro, Astro, Asptro, Crowhurst and so forth.

Possibly modern American methods are better standardised because there are certain authorities that people follow, but even so if someone tells me something is a Bergen raise I reckon that covers at least four possibilities. One of my partners suggested we play Bergen, so I told her I would if she explained it to me. After saying things like "Of course you know it, David" and "Everyone plays it" she finally explained it. Certainly not what I would have understood!

According to references I have available Stayman did not invent the convention but he was the one who published it.
My statement on the response when opener has both majors is a direct quotation from a Norwegian very reputed book in 1973.

#147 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-12, 10:37

Since Stayman did not invent the convention [Marx in England and Rapee in the USA at a similar time] I am not sure that how Stayman originally defined it matters

I think it does, given that Stayman was Rapee's partner.

One could even argue that Staymans's definition matters even more than Rapee's. After all, if Rapee would use Stayman, it would be Stayman who would be responding. And since this thread is about responses to Stayman, Stayman might know better than Rapee. ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#148 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-12, 10:56

View PostTrinidad, on 2012-November-12, 10:37, said:

I think it does, given that Stayman was Rapee's partner.

One could even argue that Staymans's definition matters even more than Rapee's. After all, if Rapee would use Stayman, it would be Stayman who would be responding. And since this thread is about responses to Stayman, Stayman might know better than Rapee. ;)

Rik

If you are able to contact either one of them, please let me know; and ask them whether their views on the subject have changed, and whether the quality of Bridge is as good as I hope it will be where they are.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#149 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-12, 11:27

Stayman was the first to publicize the convention. Presumably what he wrote up is what Rapee defined, since they were partners at the time. OTOH, I agree it probably doesn't matter much.

In the ACBL, at least, whether a call requires an alert on the grounds it is "highly unusual and unexpected" is supposed to be based on "historical usage" (whatever that means) rather than on "nobody around here plays it that way".

I would not say that methods are better standardized in NA than elsewhere. Americans in particular are prone to do things their own way, while claiming what they do is "standard".
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#150 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-12, 12:54

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-November-12, 11:27, said:

I would not say that methods are better standardized in NA than elsewhere. Americans in particular are prone to do things their own way, while claiming what they do is "standard".

That explains a lot: London area bridge is becoming more Americanised than the rest of the British Isles,so perhaps the views on standard are too. :)
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#151 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-14, 17:51

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-November-07, 21:42, said:

I think 2s with both majors is highly unusual also. I have never seen anyone do it. I'm from the us.

Interesting. Perhaps you need to talk to:

View Postlalldonn, on 2012-October-31, 14:19, said:

I reread my post and I did not say anything that could possibly be construed as that. If that was your way of asking me what I think people do in response to stayman with 4-4 in the majors, I think the vast majority of bridge players either don't know what they do, choose a major at random, or bid the better suit. I also know several who over at least some notrump openings play a bid of either major denies the other, and bid something else like 2NT with both. I do not think a major suit bid playing any of these styles is or should be alertable. The only assumption the opponents should be making if you bid a major is that you have 4 or perhaps 5 of that major.

#152 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-November-15, 00:39

How about this, I will give lalldonn a 3 year time period. If he sees anyone bid 2S against him with 4-4 in the majors I'll give him 20 bucks. I'm really confident I will not have to pay 20 bucks.

Also, since he doesn't play as much as me I will also watch and report back if I ever see anyone bid 2S with 4-4 in the majors. It won't happen.

#153 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-15, 04:01

But surely now that I've pointed out that it's the right thing to do, everyone will start doing it? B-)

Failing that - Josh, I'm looking for opps for later, fancy it?

#154 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-15, 04:22

How about this pair? Unfortunately I cannot remember where the Swedish article is any more. I think it was also from an international player/pair.
(-: Zel :-)

#155 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-15, 08:05

View PostJLOGIC, on 2012-November-15, 00:39, said:

How about this, I will give lalldonn a 3 year time period. If he sees anyone bid 2S against him with 4-4 in the majors I'll give him 20 bucks. I'm really confident I will not have to pay 20 bucks.

Also, since he doesn't play as much as me I will also watch and report back if I ever see anyone bid 2S with 4-4 in the majors. It won't happen.

Don't play against me then.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#156 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-16, 07:37

I don't remember ever seeeing a 2 response with 44 majors, but it is worh noting that in Madrid area it was popular to answer 2NT to stayman with both majors and then use some transfer at the 3 level, in Barcelona area things where worse when 2NT, 3 and 3 were allowed as responses.

#157 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-November-19, 13:44

View PostFluffy, on 2012-November-16, 07:37, said:

I don't remember ever seeeing a 2 response with 44 majors, but it is worh noting that in Madrid area it was popular to answer 2NT to stayman with both majors

...hardly surprising given that this is part of Standard French. ;)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#158 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-19, 13:45

View Postpaua, on 2012-November-04, 13:21, said:

The mistake in the alert system, IMHO, is in allowing Stayman, an artificial bid, to remain unalerted. I know this is the historical default, but for a new player trying to understand the alert rules, the obvious and simplest default is : if it's artificial it should be alerted.

Easy enough to say but it gets quite hideous if you try to write it down properly, see http://www.bridgebas...rtificial-call/
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#159 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-November-19, 19:32

View Postmgoetze, on 2012-November-19, 13:45, said:

Easy enough to say but it gets quite hideous if you try to write it down properly, see http://www.bridgebas...rtificial-call/

I think the definition of "artificial" is far simpler and less ambiguous than the current situation where we alert an "unexpected" call. This requires mind-reading. B-)

#160 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-November-20, 03:31

View Postpaua, on 2012-November-19, 19:32, said:

I think the definition of "artificial" is far simpler and less ambiguous

Which definition? The WBF one? Did you read the thread I linked to at all?
    -- Bertrand Russell

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users