• You cannot reply to this topic

pet peeve thread

#601 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-August-18, 08:46

I think it makes more sense as an xor relationship, personally (and not an iff) :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#602 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-18, 19:54

View PostPassedOut, on 2013-August-18, 08:34, said:

I had a place once with two switches for one light, and to turn that light off you had to have one switch up and the other down. I'm not sure why I found that so irritating, considering all of the problems in the world, but I had it changed so that both down (or up) was off. Felt better then.
:)

"I have CDO. It's like OCD, but the letters are in alphabetical order, just like they're supposed to be."
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#603 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2013-August-18, 20:20

View Postchasetb, on 2013-August-14, 09:44, said:

People who treat their pets better than other people,

Well, I like my pets better than I do most people.

View PostAntrax, on 2013-August-16, 21:39, said:

Never happens, handicapped spots are marked very clearly and are 2x larger than normal to allow for ramps and the such.

If a wheelchair user was a passenger in the car and not the owner or driver, the car would not qualify to park in a handicapped spot.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#604 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-18, 20:54

View PostVampyr, on 2013-August-18, 20:20, said:

If a wheelchair user was a passenger in the car and not the owner or driver, the car would not qualify to park in a handicapped spot.

Just to be clear Steve Jobs of Apple fame always parked in that spot even as young healthy young man.....
pls do not discriminate against good looking rich single young men.
besides others need the exercise.

#605 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-18, 21:57

View PostVampyr, on 2013-August-18, 20:20, said:

...in the US, I guess. In Israel it's a function of the car, not of who's in it. Theoretically if you have a handicapped family member you could take their car and park in handicapped spots while leaving them at home. I think it's even legal. The only deterrent is the social norm itself, which in the Facebook era implies potential public shaming.

#606 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-18, 22:07

View PostAntrax, on 2013-August-18, 21:57, said:

...in the US, I guess. In Israel it's a function of the car, not of who's in it. Theoretically if you have a handicapped family member you could take their car and park in handicapped spots while leaving them at home. I think it's even legal. The only deterrent is the social norm itself, which in the Facebook era implies potential public shaming.

I thought facebook was so yesterday....

The new new are robot cars are drivers, not you or handicapped.

#607 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-18, 23:45

View PostAntrax, on 2013-August-18, 21:57, said:

Not in the U.S. The person needing the assistance of a wheelchair spot doesn't have to be the driver, but he or she does have to be in the car.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#608 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-19, 00:21

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-August-18, 23:45, said:

Not in the U.S. The person needing the assistance of a wheelchair spot doesn't have to be the driver, but he or she does have to be in the car.

hence the joke or proof....or joke.

Kind of miss the entire point. the law is a joke. people treat some laws as a joke.

#609 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 00:42

View Postmike777, on 2013-August-18, 22:07, said:

I thought facebook was so yesterday....
We're behind the times. Facebook shaming for various offenses is currently a hot topic. As you can imagine it started out good, then people started using it for viral marketing or lies, then crazy people started shaming pages for things nobody in his right mind would find offensive, etc. But cars parking in handicap spots with no permit (especially police cars) are still in the consensus.

#610 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-19, 01:08

Just saw the movie and read the books about steve jobs.

What a complete ahole, jerk in the worst sense of the word to his family, daughter, women, friends, etc. the very worst.

OTOH he made millions for people whose pension plan, retirement counted on him and he created jobs, many jobs for others. A great, truly great thing.

#611 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-19, 01:15

View PostAntrax, on 2013-August-19, 00:42, said:

We're behind the times. Facebook shaming for various offenses is currently a hot topic. As you can imagine it started out good, then people started using it for viral marketing or lies, then crazy people started shaming pages for things nobody in his right mind would find offensive, etc. But cars parking in handicap spots with no permit (especially police cars) are still in the consensus.

robot cars coming what do they say about that?

#612 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-19, 01:43

Robot cars don't have to park anywhere, they can just drive around or drive back to your house once they're done driving you to work or whatever, until you call them back. At worst they can park in huge lots outside the cities.
I totally await the day my son looks confused about the concept of "a parking problem".

#613 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2013-August-19, 01:55

View PostAntrax, on 2013-August-19, 01:43, said:

Robot cars don't have to park anywhere, they can just drive around or drive back to your house once they're done driving you to work or whatever, until you call them back. At worst they can park in huge lots outside the cities.
I totally await the day my son looks confused about the concept of "a parking problem".

Personal computers are close to what a toaster is.

Remember the days when PC meant years of study and reading to use, I do.

I even hears rumors some day people will play or post on bbo on a phone, somehow.
Don't ask me how.

At some point I guess there will be a direct link between brain and bbo.

#614 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-August-19, 06:26

The obsolete and (to me) flashy spelling 'The Netherlands' with a capital T (sorry Trinidad!).
      George Carlin

#615 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-19, 11:27

There are two ways that handicapped cars are distinguished in the US (I don't know if it's a function of the state or just what the car owner requests when applying for the handicapped authorization). You can get a license plate with a handicapped logo, or you can get a placard that you hang on the rearview mirror. In the latter case, a disabled passenger can bring along his own placard, and use it with the car he's being driven in.

#616 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-August-19, 12:31

View Postbarmar, on 2013-August-19, 11:27, said:

There are two ways that handicapped cars are distinguished in the US (I don't know if it's a function of the state or just what the car owner requests when applying for the handicapped authorization). You can get a license plate with a handicapped logo, or you can get a placard that you hang on the rearview mirror. In the latter case, a disabled passenger can bring along his own placard, and use it with the car he's being driven in.

The plate is permanent, the placard is temporary. If your mobility limitation is permanent or at least long-lasting you get the plate; if you expect to get better soon, e.g. you broke your foot, you get the placard.
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#617 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-19, 13:08

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-August-19, 12:31, said:

The plate is permanent, the placard is temporary. If your mobility limitation is permanent or at least long-lasting you get the plate; if you expect to get better soon, e.g. you broke your foot, you get the placard.

That's one reason. Another is if you're a two-car family, I think that's why my mother got the placard -- they could use it whether they went out in her car or her husband's. And she's stuck with it even after he passed away, probably out of habit.

#618 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2013-August-19, 14:03

View Postbarmar, on 2013-August-19, 11:27, said:

If I'm not mistaken it has to do with the permanency of the disability. The placards are short term, the plates are long term. At least in NY, where we have both. I don't know what the cutoff is.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#619 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-20, 03:52

View Postgwnn, on 2013-August-19, 06:26, said:

The obsolete and (to me) flashy spelling 'The Netherlands' with a capital T (sorry Trinidad!).

I am sorry to peeve you, but as long as the english name for this country consists of two words, I think it is correct to capitalize the first letter of the name. (Maybe native english speakers can tell me whether I am wrong.)

I don't know why the country isn't simply called "Netherland" (singular, no article) in english, just like "Ireland" and "Scotland". I was not involved in the decision.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#620 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2013-August-20, 04:05

It's a very small peeve, don't worry about it. I usually find much better reasons to be peeved at other people's posts :)

I think it's the same as 'the United States of America' or 'the United States' (since it is a plural, the definite article must precede it, you can't say 'I am from United States' or 'I love/hate those great/damn United States'). For what it's worth, government.nl and some style guides also use a small 't,' but I admit most Dutch people seem to like a capitalised 'The.'
      George Carlin

• 57 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users