BBO Discussion Forums: Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Has U.S. Democracy Been Trumped? Bernie Sanders wants to know who owns America?

#10301 User is offline   y66 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2018-June-08, 02:57

From The Cult of Trump by the NYT Editorial Board:

Mr. Trump’s grip on the Republican psyche is unusually powerful by historical standards because it is about so much more than electoral dynamics. Through his demagogic command of the party’s base, he has emerged as the shameless, trash-talking, lib-owning fulcrum around which the entire enterprise revolves.

A week ago, John Boehner, the former House speaker, neatly captured the state of his party during a policy conference in Michigan. “There is no Republican Party,” he told the crowd. “There’s a Trump party. The Republican Party is kind of taking a nap somewhere.”

If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#10302 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-June-08, 07:24

Hey, I've got an idea. Let's ostracize our allies while promoting our enemies:

WaPo headline:

Trump calls for reinstating Russia to G-7, threatens allies on trade

Who the hell does this guy work for? It certainly isn't the American people or America's interests.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10303 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2018-June-08, 09:18

johnu, on 2018-June-08, 01:52, said:

This is very unfair to Dennison. He loves white, Christian immigrants and goes out of his way to hire them for his hotels and golf course. And he married 2 of them.

Except for the people who directly attack him, I wonder if Trump really has any real opinion about these other groups. I don't think he hates immigrants, Muslims and blacks, I think he knows that his base does, so it's politically best for him to express that opinion. Trump has made many statements since he joined the presidential campaign that directly contradict opinions he expressed in interviews years earlier. He just says and acts in whatever way will endear him with his base. I'm sure that as a businessman he loved getting cheap labor from immigrants -- I'll bet there were many of them hired as maids in his hotels -- and didn't give a ***** that they might be displacing American workers; but Republican voters don't want to hear that.

Does he actually think he'll ever be able to get Mexico to pay for the wall? Who knows? But he'll just keep saying it because that's what his people want to hear.

The guy may be totally ignorant about politics and history, but he's a master showman and knows how to play people. That's what got him elected. ldrews is the poster child for people who have been totally taken in by him.

#10304 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-June-08, 10:46

barmar, on 2018-June-08, 09:18, said:

I wonder if Trump really has any real opinion about these other groups. I don't think he hates immigrants, Muslims and blacks, I think he knows that his base does, so it's politically best for him to express that opinion. Trump has made many statements since he joined the presidential campaign that directly contradict opinions he expressed in interviews years earlier.

If you look at Trump's behavior over time, one of the few consistent positions is a deep ingrained hatred for blacks which is expressed in thought, word, and deed

1. Systematic discrimination in Trump housing projects
2. The Central Park five
3. Casual use of words like N****r is day to day conversation
4. Discriminatory hiring practices
5. The ingrained unthinking racism that comes up consistently and effortlessly throughout his life

To suggest otherwise is laughable
Alderaan delenda est

#10305 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2018-June-08, 10:53

hrothgar, on 2018-June-08, 10:46, said:

If you look at Trump's behavior over time, one of the few consistent positions is a deep ingrained hatred for blacks which is expressed in thought, word, and deed

1. Systematic discrimination in Trump housing projects
2. The Central Park five
3. Casual use of words like N****r is day to day ocversation
4. Discriminatory hiring practices
5. The ingrained unthinking racism that comes up consistently and effortlessly throughout his life

To suggest otherwise is laughable

And yet:
  • Dr. Ben Carson, a black, is a cabinet member
  • Trump responded to Kim Kardassian's plea for clemency
  • Trump is considering a pardon for Mohammed Ali
  • Elain Choa, a Tawainese-American, is a cabinet member
  • Nikki Haley, a Indian-American, is Ambassador to the UN

#10306 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 12:37

Winstonm, on 2018-June-08, 07:24, said:

Who the hell does this guy work for? It certainly isn't the American people or America's interests.

I don't want to embarrass myself by guessing the wrong answer, but is it a 6 letter word starting with R u _ _ _ _ ?

#10307 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-June-08, 13:20

ldrews, on 2018-June-08, 10:53, said:

And yet:
  • Dr. Ben Carson, a black, is a cabinet member
  • Trump responded to Kim Kardassian's plea for clemency
  • Trump is considering a pardon for Mohammed Ali
  • Elain Choa, a Tawainese-American, is a cabinet member
  • Nikki Haley, a Indian-American, is Ambassador to the UN

Larry, I have a friends who socialize with Trump.

The man causally refers to blacks as niggers. The fact that he appointed an uncle Tom onto his cabinet to help shore things up with the religious right is an outlier, not a refutation.
Alderaan delenda est

#10308 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 13:37

hrothgar, on 2018-June-08, 13:20, said:

The man causally refers to blacks as niggers. The fact that he appointed an uncle Tom onto his cabinet to help shore things up with the religious right is an outlier, not a refutation.

Hrothgar, I have black friends that refer to other blacks as niggers. Does that make them racist?

#10309 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-June-08, 13:46

ldrews, on 2018-June-08, 13:37, said:

Hrothgar, I have black friends that refer to other blacks as niggers. Does that make them racist?

Congratulations drews, that is probably the most ignorant comment I have ever heard you make
Alderaan delenda est

#10310 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 13:59

hrothgar, on 2018-June-08, 13:20, said:

Another thing. I don't know where you grew up, but in the 1950s, 1960s in most major cities, particularly New York, and particularly Queens where Trump grew up, every cultural group seemed to have a knickname: wops, kikes, niggers, spics, etc. Often derogatory but often not. It was what it was. The names were used universally on the street.

According to your definition, all of those people who grew up in those communities and used that language are racist.

#10311 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-June-08, 14:05

ldrews, on 2018-June-08, 13:59, said:

Another thing. I don't know where you grew up, but in the 1950s, 1960s in most major cities, particularly New York, and particularly Queens where Trump grew up, every cultural group seemed to have a knickname: wops, kikes, niggers, spics, etc. Often derogatory but often not. It was what it was. The names were used universally on the street.

According to your definition, all of those people who grew up in those communities and used that language are racist.

I grew up in New York in the 70s and early 80s. A bit further upstate than Queens (Poughkeepsie).

And a hell of a lot of the folks that I grew up around were racists.
My grandparents most certainly were. (Not because they used the N word, but rather because of their firm belief that the PR's should be run out of town and their horror that I was dating a jew)

And the good townspeople that I lived with created a brand new school district to make sure that the blacks weren't allowed into the same schools as whites
(Spackenkill HS, created in 1973)

With this said and done, we aren't talking about the 50's and the 60's.
We're talking about the second decade of the 21st century
Alderaan delenda est

#10312 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 14:29

hrothgar, on 2018-June-08, 14:05, said:

Dennison and a lot of his supporters fondly look back at the 50's and 60's, or least the early 60's. The more progressive supporters want America to be like the 1950's and early 1960's before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for obvious reason. More hardcore supporters fondly look back at the 1850's and early 1860's before the Civil War and the 13th Amendment.

#10313 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 16:35

hrothgar, on 2018-June-08, 14:05, said:

I grew up in New York in the 70s and early 80s. A bit further upstate than Queens (Poughkeepsie).

And a hell of a lot of the folks that I grew up around were racists.
My grandparents most certainly were. (Not because they used the N word, but rather because of their firm belief that the PR's should be run out of town and their horror that I was dating a jew)

And the good townspeople that I lived with created a brand new school district to make sure that the blacks weren't allowed into the same schools as whites
(Spackenkill HS, created in 1973)

Are we not talking about attitudes formed during the 50's and 60's? Today's children will obviously have much different attitudes, prejudices, and foibles. But you are talking about someone and others whose attitudes and characters were formed long ago. To apply today's standards to 70 year olds is disingenuous to say the least.

#10314 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 16:38

johnu, on 2018-June-08, 14:29, said:

Dennison and a lot of his supporters fondly look back at the 50's and 60's, or least the early 60's. The more progressive supporters want America to be like the 1950's and early 1960's before the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for obvious reason. More hardcore supporters fondly look back at the 1850's and early 1860's before the Civil War and the 13th Amendment.

Perhaps some of us look back fondly, it was indeed a simpler time. But mostly it is to learn from our past, both the good and the bad. As many have stated, to ignore history is to be doomed to repeating it.

#10315 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2018-June-08, 17:17

ldrews, on 2018-June-08, 16:35, said:

Are we not talking about attitudes formed during the 50's and 60's? Today's children will obviously have much different attitudes, prejudices, and foibles. But you are talking about someone and others whose attitudes and characters were formed long ago. To apply today's standards to 70 year olds is disingenuous to say the least.

So, moral relativism is fine so long as we're applying to the benefit of old white guys?

Me, I call grandparents racists and Trump is a racist.

(and even if Trump is only pretending to be a racist to appeal to his base, wtf does this say about Trump and his base?)
Alderaan delenda est

#10316 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 17:51

ldrews, on 2018-June-08, 10:53, said:

And yet:
[*]Trump is considering a pardon for Mohammed Ali

Again I have to compliment Dennison and the best and brightest people he has brought to Washington. Oh wait! Muhammad Ali's conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court in 1971. There is no conviction to pardon but maybe he can commute the prison sentence B-)

#10317 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2018-June-08, 18:27

johnu, on 2018-June-08, 17:51, said:

Again I have to compliment Dennison and the best and brightest people he has brought to Washington. Oh wait! Muhammad Ali's conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court in 1971. There is no conviction to pardon but maybe he can commute the prison sentence B-)

And it PROVES he's neither racist nor biased against Muslims.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#10318 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 19:56

ldrews, on 2018-June-08, 16:35, said:

So what you are saying is once a bigot and racist, always a bigot and racist? Don't bother answering, that was a rhetorical question. And it's fake news that all of today's children will have much different attitudes, prejudices, and foibles. You don't have to look any further than all the young white supremacists at the Charlottsville riots.

#10319 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 20:04

johnu, on 2018-June-08, 17:51, said:

Muhammad Ali's conviction was overturned by the Supreme Court in 1971.

Don't forget the learning from history bit. That which happened 10-15 minutes ago is as far as this admin goes before "I don't recall" kicks in. They aren't stuck in the 50's and 60's. They are stuck in their very own cesspool.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10320 User is offline   ldrews 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2018-June-08, 21:21

hrothgar, on 2018-June-08, 17:17, said:

So, moral relativism is fine so long as we're applying to the benefit of old white guys?

Me, I call grandparents racists and Trump is a racist.

(and even if Trump is only pretending to be a racist to appeal to his base, wtf does this say about Trump and his base?)

I would then say that the term racist has lost any differential meaning. Almost all of the people who grew up in that era would be racist by your definition.

• 1074 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

45 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users

1. Google,
  2. Facebook