BBO Discussion Forums: What do you open? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you open? The misadventures of Rex and Jay-#5395

Poll: What do you open? (54 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you open?

1. pass (2 votes [3.70%])

Percentage of vote: 3.70%

2. 1 Diamond (1 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

3. 1 Heart (39 votes [72.22%])

Percentage of vote: 72.22%

4. 2 Hearts (5 votes [9.26%])

Percentage of vote: 9.26%

5. 3 Hearts (1 votes [1.85%])

Percentage of vote: 1.85%

6. 4 Hearts (6 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

7. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-February-02, 09:29

hotShot, on Feb 2 2007, 05:41 AM, said:

So i think that I would bid 4 (if i trust partner a lot i might bid 4).

Interesting...my logic is exactly the same as yours, which is why I pass.

I think we're looking at a two-suiter from hell, some kind of 7-1-0-5 distribution with the spades headed by the king-nine, maybe. If they bid 4, they're going to make it. I'm not going to give them a double-shot of "if we make 4, I need to bid it. If they make 4, I'm need to bid it". No siree, Bob. I pass smoothly, and pray that's where we play it. At this point, going for a mere -170 looks like a good thing. If I had....

xx
Axx
Axxxx
Qxx

I would seriously consider FIVE hearts (or five diamonds if I trust my partner) if they bid 4 spades, but I'm still going to see if I can just let the auction die now.

#22 User is offline   microcap 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-February-02, 10:22

Very fascinating-- I did exactly the same as JT at the table---then Rex was annoyed with me for not doing as hotshot suggests. I will finish the story later for everyone.

#23 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-February-02, 11:32

I may be allowing my knowledge of what opener held for the 2 bid to influence my call here: but I think that we should be bidding 4.

Anyone with a pulse will know that 4 is a raise with long s: it is impossible for it to mean anything else, given that I am a passed hand.

While one should not bid 4 anticipating or even catering to 5 cards in opener's hand, it does make sense on two-levels.

One if to clue partner into the fact that our 4 raise (which 4 is) is based on a good hand... not just moderate values and length. We have amaximum pass. The second is to set the stage for a 4 or 5 level decision. 5 card length is surprising: 4 card length is not what we expect, but it is not 'weird' to find it... and if opener is, for example, 1=6=4=2, we probably don't want to be defending 4... but if he is 3=6=1=3, we do. 4 informs him. An informed partner is a happy partner.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#24 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-February-02, 14:44

I'm not sure I'd bid over 3 100% of the time, but if I were to, mikeh's 4 is clearly the technically correct bid. Let's thank RHO for allowing us such a descriptive bid when he could have shut us off with a 3 opener.

#25 User is offline   sswarnendu 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-February-02, 15:32

Hi All......
Since opps are silent,i can expect 7-8 ordinary points from my p....i want them in the red suits....but i think trying to find how the hand fits is risky.......opposite a passed p,missing slam is unlikely,but not at all impossible.....(opposite A & K, A....slam is playable;opposite AJT & A...slam is on any one of the finesse winning;K,KJT A....again playable;
2 is an underbid because it does not convey the message of slam interest immediately which i think is the only real reason for thinking about opening 1 level on this hand on 4th seat....2 does promise opening value on 4th seat....but this hand is far bigger than an opening hand....
But looking for a (hard to bid,unlikely)slam is not enough reason to risk missing out many a making game....I am a strong believer of "Rule of 15" on 4th seat...since i have a void....i need 15 hcp to open 1 level....
I wont mind going -2 or +2 on this hand on a 4contract....but can not tolerate opponents playing & making(very likely as i have very few quick tricks & almost no useful defensive value)some number of s...........i'd open 4.......if my p complains about the bid after the game,then next time i'd pass on this hand....still if she complains.....i'll find a new p then.... :) .......

#26 User is offline   sswarnendu 

• Pip

Posted 2007-February-02, 15:43

Assuming the auction p-p-p-2-3-?.........i think 4 is Absolutely correct....by a passed hand...this bid can not be anything other than Fit-showing,4 is less descriptive,4 can help p a lot on a 5 level decision........pass & 4,both are bad choices.....but however,may be quite common choice....

#27 User is offline   sswarnendu 

• Pip

Posted 2007-February-02, 15:51

An interesting question comes to my mind.....i polled for a 4 opening....what if RHO comes with 4???what's ur bid with this is a real question? .......
what a pass would imply & what should a Double imply??
You hold
Dealer: East
Vul: E/W
Scoring: IMP

Q5
K72
KJ1072
Q98

#28 User is offline   microcap 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-02, 16:05

What happened was this--- RHO was dealt A876432 of and opted not to pre-empt with such a bad suit first hand red vs white. He had a change of heart after the 4th seat 2 opener.

I confess I didn't think of the 4 bid at the table--Rex would have. Obviously, that would have uncovered the double fit.

Opps made 4 and truth be told, I wasn't unhappy about only being minus 170.

In the other room, it went 3, Pass, 4, now 5!! passed out making, and we lost 12 imps.

Here is the full hand:
Scoring: IMP

i guess the way I summarize it, any hand that can enter the 5 level opposite a passed hand and make a contract shouldn't be limiting itself on the opening bid!!

:)

#29 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-02, 16:10

wow another 7-4 hand that makes 4s...if we open that in first seat ;)

Where are Richard and Ron when we need them :)

#30 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-02, 16:17

microcap, on Feb 2 2007, 05:05 PM, said:

In the other room, it went 3, Pass, 4, now 5!! passed out making, and we lost 12 imps.

If hearts split 3-1, they make 5 spades. If the diamonds split 2-1 with the A as part of the doubleton, 5 hearts goes down. Both of those seem to me to be over 50%.

You got unlucky, but I still claim that 3 making 4 isn't a bad place to be. Once they bid 4, I think there's a good argument for 5, but I'm not going to sacrifice if I don't have to (I didn't expect it to make).

#31 User is offline   HeartA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-03, 13:33

I am surprised that this hand is on poll and not get 100% vote for 1H opening (at any seat).
Senshu

#32 User is offline   dogsbreath 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bridge,golf,cricket,baseball, ironing (?)

Posted 2007-February-03, 20:34

Hi David..

I've seen what ypu guys open on .. hard to believe 2nd hand passed :rolleyes:

Rgds Dog
ManoVerboard

#33 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-February-04, 03:13

jtfanclub, on Feb 2 2007, 02:17 PM, said:

If hearts split 3-1, they make 5 spades. If the diamonds split 2-1 with the A as part of the doubleton, 5 hearts goes down. Both of those seem to me to be over 50%.

You got unlucky, but I still claim that 3 making 4 isn't a bad place to be. Once they bid 4, I think there's a good argument for 5, but I'm not going to sacrifice if I don't have to (I didn't expect it to make).

On the other hand... 5 is cold by either hand.

No one has mentioned it, but isn't 4N the better call over 4 if it's at that level when it reaches North?
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#34 User is offline   rimjhim 

• Pip

Posted 2007-February-10, 13:10

The presence of the diamond suit would prevent me from opening 2H with this in 4th chair. I would open 1H and hope I can find a fit in either H or D. If needing a swing in the match, I might pass -- this has merit due to the lack of Spades.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users