• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

udca what does it include?

#1 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-December-11, 17:35

pick up partner's profile on BBO says udca and you agreed to play his profile.
What does udca include, Is it only when following suit or also when discarding?

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-11, 17:44

I would assume only upside down count and attitude 100% throughout the entire deal. Not upside down suit preference. If partner prefers upside down suit pref. she can always tell us next hand in a pick up partnership.

#3 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-11, 17:49

It usually includes discards. Just as low would encourage when pard leads a high card, a low discard indicates interest in the suit.
"Phil" on BBO

#4 User is offline   foo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-11, 21:02

kgr, on Dec 11 2007, 06:35 PM, said:

pick up partner's profile on BBO says udca and you agreed to play his profile.
What does udca include, Is it only when following suit or also when discarding?

UDCA stands for "Upside Down Count and Attitude"

It is only for count and attitude situations. It does not apply to discarding situations.

Agreements about discarding methods are properly s separate discussion.

#5 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-11, 21:04

I would assume it also holds for discards.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2007-December-11, 21:43

Also when discarding.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#7 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2007-December-11, 22:47

Hannie, on Dec 11 2007, 09:04 PM, said:

I would assume it also holds for discards.

Yes as I commonly play it and clearly prefer it to "standard".

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2007-December-11, 23:15

UDCA applies to every situation in which either count or attitude is shown (unless you have a specific agreement to the contrary, such as odd-even first discard).

#9 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-12, 03:11

When I see udca I assume it means signals and discards until I see compelling evidence to the contrary.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#10 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2007-December-12, 12:45

cardsharp, on Dec 12 2007, 10:11 AM, said:

When I see udca I assume it means signals and discards until I see compelling evidence to the contrary.

So would I.

#11 User is offline   kgr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-12, 17:08

Thanks all!!
(I play a lot of pick up games on BBO. Up till now I avoided udca profiles because it was not clear if that would also include discards. I'll be more confortable with this now)

#12 User is offline   finally17 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-December-12, 23:03

I don't think it includes discards...looking at an ACBL convention card, there are separate boxes for upside down count, upside down attitude, and discard preferences. Seems to me that that's a good guideline for what's included.

However, in my experience, most people on BBO seem to think that it includes discards, so I act like it does there, until I'm told otherwise.

The other day, someone asked my partner and I what are carding methods were, and I said "UDCA" while she said "odd/even" and our opp responded "good to know you agree" to which we both said something to the effect of "we didn't disagree." But our opps' position seems to be the norm there.
I constantly try and "Esc-wq!" to finish and post webforum replies.

Aaron

#13 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2007-December-12, 23:19

finally17, on Dec 13 2007, 12:03 AM, said:

I don't think it includes discards...looking at an ACBL convention card, there are separate boxes for upside down count, upside down attitude, and discard preferences. Seems to me that that's a good guideline for what's included.

"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.". -- G.B. Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra, Act II. :(

Different jurisdictions have different convention cards - and different ways of doing various things.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   finally17 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-13, 02:08

blackshoe, on Dec 13 2007, 12:19 AM, said:

"Pardon him. Theodotus: he is a barbarian, and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature.". -- G.B. Shaw, Caesar and Cleopatra, Act II. :(

Different jurisdictions have different convention cards - and different ways of doing various things.

No kidding? Well gee, I didn't know that.

Roll your eyes all you want. The ACBL prints and sells a standard one, which is the one I'm referring to. And in case you're not in the US, I think my usage of the word GUIDELINE was pretty clear.

In fact, here's a link to a PDF of it, straight from their website. Check it out! ACBL convention card

You will note in the bottom left hand corner of what might be referred to as the "top side" that there is a small box called "defensive carding." First are options for standard, then for upside down, and THEN for first discards.

I've no wish to get into a flame war here, so I'm not going to. But do you realize how pompous you look quoting Shakespeare so rudely, in particular when you're blatantly wrong?

Aaron

#15 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2007-December-13, 02:26

I don't know where you get this from. The section on discards is for special conventions, it has nothing to do with general discarding agreements. If you have no special discarding agreement such as odd/even (which would thus override any general agreement), then your first discard must!!! be count or attitude and is thus upside down. What else could it be, unless you want to argue it's not a signal at all?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#16 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-13, 02:29

finally17, on Dec 13 2007, 09:08 AM, said:

I've no wish to get into a flame war here, so I'm not going to.  But do you realize how pompous you look quoting Shakespeare so rudely, in particular when you're blatantly wrong?

As you are in the ACBL, I'd have thought that you knew that abusing an ACBL TD, as you've just done, is a ZT offense.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#17 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2007-December-13, 02:29

I don't know what the ACBL intention is, but regarding "1st discard" it's pretty clear where I live (Denmark). First you are asked what kind of attitude you use, then the same about count, and finally 1st discard.

The intention is to make it clear to the opponents whether you use attitude or count for your 1st discard. Example (most common here):

Attitude: upside-down.
Count: upside-down.
1st discard: attitude.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#18 User is offline   finally17 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-13, 09:07

cardsharp, on Dec 13 2007, 03:29 AM, said:

finally17, on Dec 13 2007, 09:08 AM, said:

I've no wish to get into a flame war here, so I'm not going to.  But do you realize how pompous you look quoting Shakespeare so rudely, in particular when you're blatantly wrong?

As you are in the ACBL, I'd have thought that you knew that abusing an ACBL TD, as you've just done, is a ZT offense.

I didn't abuse anyone. I told someone that "rolls eyes" and the quoting of Shakespeare in some misguided attempt to call someone ignorant of cultural differences over this matter is pompous and rude. Not to mention stupid. I stand by that.

Aaron

#19 User is offline   finally17 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-December-13, 09:14

jdonn, on Dec 13 2007, 03:26 AM, said:

I don't know where you get this from. The section on discards is for special conventions, it has nothing to do with general discarding agreements. If you have no special discarding agreement such as odd/even (which would thus override any general agreement), then your first discard must!!! be count or attitude and is thus upside down. What else could it be, unless you want to argue it's not a signal at all?

It's a whole section on "Defensive Agreements," which asks whether you're standard or upside down, and then lists discards, including a blank line. There's nothing at all to imply to me that it's specifically there for "special conventions." My interpretation is at least as valid as yours.

Furthermore, I think it's a stretch to assume that because you don't agree to o/e or lav (or fill in the blank line), you have an implicit agreement. I think rather that most people who take the time to fill out a real card and play a serious game together, if they don't have an explicit agreement, don't really have an agreement at all, most likely because they haven't attained a level where paying attention to discards helps them.

But whatever, it's really not worth debating. The "eye roll" response got my dander up, but I don't really care beyond that.

Aaron

#20 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2007-December-13, 09:31

finally17, on Dec 13 2007, 03:08 AM, said:

I've no wish to get into a flame war here, so I'm not going to. But do you realize how pompous you look quoting Shakespeare so rudely, in particular when you're blatantly wrong?

So you make a post that looks an awful lot like a blatant attempt to start a flame war? Sorry, ace, I've seen that tactic before. Not gonna work.

Either PM me, or post publicly, I don't care which, but don't waste my time by doing both.

GB Shaw ≠ William Shakespeare.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users