• You cannot reply to this topic

The Worst Of The Worst Habeus corpus proceedings

#1 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-August-08, 15:56

From Salon.com

"In 28 of 33 Gitmo detainee cases heard so far, federal judges have found insufficient evidence to support keeping them in prison."  Virtually all of those detainees were held for many years without charges and with no opportunity for judicial review.  Once they finally got into a court, federal judges (including Bush-43 appointed judges) in the vast majority of cases concluded there was virtually no credible evidence ever to justify their detention.  Just consider what that fact, standing alone, means about what our Government has been doing.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#2 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-August-09, 09:13

I don't think it says much, if anything, about what the government has been doing. The question was never whether there was "enough evidence to hold them"; it was whether they were constitutionally entitled to raise the issue. Once Scotus determined (5-4 last year) they're entitled to habeas challenges, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that many if not most of those challenges would succeed.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#3 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2009-August-09, 09:23

Lobowolf, on Aug 9 2009, 10:13 AM, said:

I don't think it says much, if anything, about what the government has been doing. The question was never whether there was "enough evidence to hold them"; it was whether they were constitutionally entitled to raise the issue. Once Scotus determined (5-4 last year) they're entitled to habeas challenges, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that many if not most of those challenges would succeed.

I suppose you also mean there was no problem with holding U.S. citizen Jose Padilla in military prison without charges, then?
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#4 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2009-August-09, 11:59

Winstonm, on Aug 9 2009, 10:23 AM, said:

I don't think it says much, if anything, about what the government has been doing.  The question was never whether there was "enough evidence to hold them"; it was whether they were constitutionally entitled to raise the issue.  Once Scotus determined (5-4 last year) they're entitled to habeas challenges, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that many if not most of those challenges would succeed.

I suppose you also mean there was no problem with holding U.S. citizen Jose Padilla in military prison without charges, then?

he can answer for himself... for me, it was a travesty... i don't see a huge push to give back the civil liberties we've lost, though... at least not yet
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#5 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-August-09, 12:38

luke warm, on Aug 9 2009, 12:59 PM, said:

Winstonm, on Aug 9 2009, 10:23 AM, said:

I don't think it says much, if anything, about what the government has been doing.  The question was never whether there was "enough evidence to hold them"; it was whether they were constitutionally entitled to raise the issue.  Once Scotus determined (5-4 last year) they're entitled to habeas challenges, it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that many if not most of those challenges would succeed.

he can answer for himself... for me, it was a travesty... i don't see a huge push to give back the civil liberties we've lost, though... at least not yet

Would you like to see one? If so, that would be something you and me agree on - in the WaterCooler, no less!
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#6 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2009-August-09, 16:21

cherdanno, on Aug 9 2009, 01:38 PM, said:

Would you like to see one? If so, that would be something you and me agree on - in the WaterCooler, no less!

i'd like to see homeland security abolished; i'd like to see civil liberties again as the ultimate... but what i'd like to see is irrelevant, it's too late
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#7 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2009-August-09, 16:36

luke warm, on Aug 9 2009, 05:21 PM, said:

cherdanno, on Aug 9 2009, 01:38 PM, said:

i'd like to see homeland security abolished; i'd like to see civil liberties again as the ultimate... but what i'd like to see is irrelevant, it's too late

I agree with all three comments.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users