• You cannot reply to this topic

Notice of Thread/Post Moderation A place where moderators describe action

#481 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-August-30, 07:19

barmar, on 2013-August-29, 15:54, said:

Moved the thread "Advances after (3S) - 4H - (P) - ?" from Expert to Intermediate/Advanced.

Does that mean you think all the experts already know the meanng of (3S) - 4H - (P) - 5m ?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#482 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-August-30, 08:15

gnasher, on 2013-August-30, 07:19, said:

Does that mean you think all the experts already know the meanng of (3S) - 4H - (P) - 5m ?

Since I reported the the thread I'll tell you what I thought: that while perhaps not all experts would immediately assume the same thing, it is hardly an "advanced topic", insofar as "advanced" means something other than "obscure".

(Expert-Class Bridge: "Forum designated for expert bridge players to discuss more advanced topics." Implying that expert bridge players may also discuss less advanced topics elsewhere.)
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#483 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-September-02, 17:04

Moved the thread "Questions on disclosure of opps bidding methods" from General Bridge Forum to Laws & Rulings in the IBLF.

#484 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-September-07, 08:38

Moved two threads to Novice/Beginner forum:

'Bidding' from General Bridge Forum (asked about what to do over partner's 1 with 6 diamonds and 3 HCP).

'Pass or 3C' from Natural Bidding.

#485 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-September-08, 02:05

Moved the thread "Negative Doubles of Overcalls of Strong 1NT Opening" from Expert to Intermediate/Advanced forum.

#486 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-08, 04:41

mgoetze, on 2013-August-30, 08:15, said:

Since I reported the the thread I'll tell you what I thought: that while perhaps not all experts would immediately assume the same thing, it is hardly an "advanced topic", insofar as "advanced" means something other than "obscure".

(Expert-Class Bridge: "Forum designated for expert bridge players to discuss more advanced topics." Implying that expert bridge players may also discuss less advanced topics elsewhere.)

How is this an obscure topic? Or rather, if this is an obscure topic, what other topics (other than rediscussing opening preempt requirements for the 500th time) are not obscure?
And how is it not an "advanced topic"? Seems to me like you need to know quite a lot about bridge to be confident about the right treatment there.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#487 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-08, 10:30

cherdano, on 2013-September-08, 04:41, said:

How is this an obscure topic? Or rather, if this is an obscure topic, what other topics (other than rediscussing opening preempt requirements for the 500th time) are not obscure?
And how is it not an "advanced topic"? Seems to me like you need to know quite a lot about bridge to be confident about the right treatment there.

I agree with mgoetze that this belongs in Int/Adv, not Expert, but maybe for a completely different reason. OP in that thread asks "what is standard?" He does not ask "how do experts play this?" Standard should include intermediate and advanced players, the bulk of the population, not be restricted to experts.

#488 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-September-09, 08:38

Moved the thread "playing on ipad problems" from General Bridge Forum to BBO Suppore Forum.

#489 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-11, 14:16

Bbradley62, on 2013-September-08, 10:30, said:

I agree with mgoetze that this belongs in Int/Adv, not Expert, but maybe for a completely different reason. OP in that thread asks "what is standard?" He does not ask "how do experts play this?" Standard should include intermediate and advanced players, the bulk of the population, not be restricted to experts.

I also asked "What's best?" and personally I think that the people qualified to answer that are per se experts. I did wonder whether to put the topic in natural bidding discussion but the fact that it has been moved to int/adv means I still don't know what I, as a non-expert, can possibly post in the Expert forums section. Maybe I shall stop and just post everything in 'Interesting Bridge Hands' and 'Natural Bidding'.

mgoetze, on 2013-August-30, 08:15, said:

Mgoetze, are there any auctions that you would consider worthy of the expert forum? If it is not the obscure stuff (and fwiw I do not consider my topic to be that obscure - I mean, it's a one-round auction) and it's not the basic stuff, then what?

For example, the play of a hand which needs the diagnosis of a winkle squeeze I would consider obscure but I would probably expect only expert players to be able to find it.

Whatever the criteria are for posting in the expert forum at least as a non-expert I can rest easy knowing that should I make a topic that isn't deemed suitable, the BBF experts will quickly fish it out.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#490 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2013-September-11, 15:25

As a non-expert myself, I thought the principle was pretty clear: non-experts should never start topics in the expert forum. You will get expert answers even if you start your thread elsewhere.

Re: obscure vs. advanced, what I meant to say is that they are independent of each other. As such there isn't even any reason to discuss what is obscure and what isn't. Advanced to me means that the answers go well beyond "double should be penalty, 4NT should show minors" or whatever.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#491 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-September-12, 10:04

I think the idea is that the expert forum is intended for discussion among experts, not a way to pose questions to experts. It's not "Ask Billy".

#492 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 10:24

So you are proposing is that moderators are supposed to judge the standard of play of the original poster, rather than the level of the question raised?
Good luck then.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#493 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2013-September-12, 20:04

I agree with Cherdano here, Barmar. I think you would be much better off keeping the Expert forums for expert questions and topics. It is impossible to judge the standard of the poster.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#494 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-12, 21:50

FWIW I thought the expertise of the expert forum would be self-regulated. Post silly stuff in the expert forum and the experts will either shun you or make fun of you.

#495 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-12, 23:29

mgoetze, on 2013-September-11, 15:25, said:

As a non-expert myself, I thought the principle was pretty clear: non-experts should never start topics in the expert forum. You will get expert answers even if you start your thread elsewhere.

And I believe that you, a self-proclaimed non-expert are capable of formulating and posting a topic worthy of discussion among yourself, other self-assessed non-experts, and experts in the Expert Forum.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#496 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2013-September-13, 01:05

And I believe you are capable of reading the forum descriptions, aguahombre.

"Forum designated for expert bridge players to discuss more advanced topics."
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#497 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-September-13, 08:19

cherdano, on 2013-September-12, 10:24, said:

So you are proposing is that moderators are supposed to judge the standard of play of the original poster, rather than the level of the question raised?
Good luck then.

No, I'm not proposing that at all. I look at the question and decide whether it seems like something experts would consider worth posing to each other.

I.e., would I expect to see it in Master Solver's Club or Ask Billy?

#498 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-September-27, 05:17

gwnn, on 2013-September-13, 01:05, said:

So should someone understand from all this that no non-experts can so much as comment in the expert forum?

If so I just won't bother and I'll have to prevent myself from asking questions in expert threads as well for the fear of being seen to be "asking Billy".
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#499 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2013-September-27, 08:53

gwnn, on 2013-September-13, 01:05, said:

And I believe you are capable of reading what you quote. That description does not preclude non-experts from starting a topic for experts to discuss.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#500 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-September-27, 09:01

aguahombre, on 2013-September-27, 08:53, said:

And I believe you are capable of reading what you quote. That description does not preclude non-experts from starting a topic for experts to discuss.

Right. It would be like an average player sending a hand to Bridge World, suggesting they include it in Master Solver's Club.

However, when you do so, you should be prepared for the reaction if they don't consider it worthy. If you're a novice, lots of things may seem difficult that are relatively routine for experts. As a result, the thread may get moved to the beginner or intermediate forum.

• 44 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

22 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 22 guests, 0 anonymous users