• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Card play analysis

#21 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-December-12, 12:23

I see that there are ten. Put me on the waiting list :). This is a very kind offer.
Ken

#22 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-December-12, 13:04

Yes I think a lot of people would appreciate it if you could post a thread or a google doc with the analyses.

Maybe you'll even get a book offer :-)
Kevin Fay

#23 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-December-12, 14:53

I'd buy the book, but if you post it it'll be cheaper.

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#24 User is offline   MFA 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-12, 15:00

Nice project!
Michael Askgaard

#25 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2009-December-12, 16:56

This seems an extraordinarily generous offer.

Still, I'm glad that I didn't read this thread until it was too late to participate - I'm not sure that I could face 100 boards of trying to bid in a way that Justin considers normal.

PS: Will the rest of us be allowed to nitpick your analysis?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#26 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2009-December-12, 17:11

kfay, on Dec 12 2009, 02:04 PM, said:

Yes I think a lot of people would appreciate it if you could post a thread or a google doc with the analyses.

+1.

This would be extraordinarily helpful to the whole community. This is an extremely kind offer, and kudos to you for doing it.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#27 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-December-12, 18:30

wyman, on Dec 12 2009, 06:11 PM, said:

kfay, on Dec 12 2009, 02:04 PM, said:

+1.

This would be extraordinarily helpful to the whole community. This is an extremely kind offer, and kudos to you for doing it.

Agree - there are ten very fortunate players here, and the skill level varies a lot, so I expect there will be some variety.

I would suggest Justin picks a few of his favorites from the 100, and posts them here - with perhaps leaving the contributor's name off the analysis.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#28 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-December-12, 22:53

Seems unlikely, but...if any of the Top 10 choose to opt out, I'd love to be on the waiting list as well.

#29 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-December-12, 23:03

I was not planning on posting any of the hands. I don't want to make the people involved feel uncomfortable or like their mistakes are on display. Even if I leave out the names, you have a list of 10 people and using myhands it could be easy to figure out who did what.

#30 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-December-12, 23:33

Jlall, on Dec 13 2009, 12:03 AM, said:

I was not planning on posting any of the hands. I don't want to make the people involved feel uncomfortable or like their mistakes are on display. Even if I leave out the names, you have a list of 10 people and using myhands it could be easy to figure out who did what.

Not if you wait a week or two. I suppose with BB could dredge them up, but that seems like a lot of work.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#31 User is offline   PeterGill 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-12, 23:45

Justin, perhaps if any of the lucky ten offer for you to post all or some of their hands on this forum or on your bridge blog, that would be great for those of us who like reading what you write.

And well done in San Diego too - two 2nds in major Nationals against the world's best = good stuff.

#32 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-December-13, 00:00

Thx Peter.

Yeah I think I will just leave it up to the people if they want to post any/all of their hands + what I said I am totally fine with that. Really I just want to help the 10 who signed up, there is not really anything attached other than that, and it's not a self promotion thing for me. I really don't want people to be nervous or overwhelmed feeling like their mistakes are in the limelight.

So, just for the record, I am totally fine if anyone participating in this posts my thoughts, and if you rather wouldn't that is fine, I will not show anyone.

Also, Gnasher and others, if hands get posted with my thoughts on them I would be happy for you guys to critique/discuss my comments! Would be kind of cool for me actually. I am obv fallible and might well miss some stuff. Again this is not supposed to be about self promotion/ego boosting for me, or writing a book, or anything like that, and I am happy for it to be discussed if you think I am wrong/have made an error. Will be good for my game!

And lol at the thought of 100 hands bid my way! I used to play in teaching tables and bid all 4 hands objectively with what I thought the right sequences were. It was pretty funny to get a taste of my own medicine! Only thing scarier would be 100 hands bid kenrexford style imo :wacko:

#33 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-13, 11:42

It too late to apply for me but I just want to say that it would be really great if you publish the analysis here in this thread :P

#34 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-December-13, 12:36

Just read the thread, and want to add my appreciation for what Justin is doing....and to encourage some of the 10 to permit Justin to post (with names stripped out). Or post the critique themselves (using another login name created for the purpose if they want to preserve anonymity).

This is very generous of Justin.....doing this kind of analysis takes time...altho I suspect Justin is far faster than most, and probably uses the keyboard faster than people of my generation.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#35 User is offline   JanM 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-13, 13:35

I agree that it would be great if some of these hands could be shared - probably most helpful and perhaps least likely to be negative for those whose hands are being analyzed would be if Justin could choose several hands that illustrate a typical kind of error and post them all in one thread.
Jan Martel, who should probably state that she is not speaking on behalf of the USBF, the ACBL, the WBF Systems Committee, or any member of any Systems Committee or Laws Commission.

#36 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2009-December-13, 20:09

Oh dear :( I see I'm too late :( but I look forward to the results :)

#37 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-14, 07:00

I played a couple of MP speedballs yesterday and would like to select 10 hands from those tourneys (eliminating some hands where I was dummy or the opponents did unusual things to affect the result so that Justin's analysis would not be particularly useful to me -- not cherry picking).

Can anyone tell me how to create a file with the 10 selected deals? I played these tourneys using the new web client, so there are no local log files.

#38 User is offline   Little Kid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Genetic Engineering, Squash, Languages, Travelling, Table Tennis, Movies, Judo, Swimming, Scuba Diving, Climbing...

Posted 2009-December-14, 07:42

Maybe you can find them here
Veni, vidi, proficisci

#39 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-December-14, 07:43

I can find them just fine, I'm just not sure how to go about saving them to a single file.

#40 User is offline   Little Kid 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Genetic Engineering, Squash, Languages, Travelling, Table Tennis, Movies, Judo, Swimming, Scuba Diving, Climbing...

Posted 2009-December-14, 08:04

Oh right, sorry I misunderstood. I'm not sure how to compile the 10 .lin files into one big file either. You could just rename 10 .lin files TimG1-10 but I guess your way is better if you figure out how that works.
Veni, vidi, proficisci

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users