Cascade, on Aug 1 2010, 05:25 PM, said:

barmar, on Aug 2 2010, 10:06 AM, said:

Although players are expected to hesitate at trick 1

Who says?

Its not in the laws.

Try Law 73A (my emphasis added):

LAW 73 - COMMUNICATION
A. Appropriate Communication between Partners
1. Communication between partners during the auction and play shall be effected only by means of calls and plays.
2. Calls and plays should be made without undue emphasis, mannerism or inflection, and without undue hesitation or haste. But Regulating Authorities may require mandatory pauses, as on the first round of the auction, or after a skip-bid warning, or on the first trick.

A counter-defence that I usually employ when declarer calls for a card the instant dummy goes down is to fold my own hand, ask a few questions about the auction and inform everyone that I'm just thinking about the whole hand and then after a few moments pick up my hand and decide what to do. Playing with screens, particularly if you are on the South-West side as Fred was in this case, closing the screen aperture while you think is a technique that can also be used.

btw, well done to the Diamond team! Boards in the dying stages are invariably the most memorable, but how good (albeit slow) was Brad Moss' double of 3 on the penultimate board?
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#22 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-August-01, 19:14

[quote name='mrdct' date='Aug 2 2010, 12:43 PM'] But Regulating Authorities may require mandatory pauses, as on the first round of the auction, or after a skip-bid warning, or on the first trick.[/QUOTE] [/quote]
Very few regulating authorities mandate this first trick pause.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#23 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-August-01, 19:40

From the latest EBU Orange Book:

7 F 2 It is normal for third hand to think before playing to trick one. Such thought is normally while declarer is thinking about his play. However, sometimes declarer plays quickly from dummy. At such a time third hand may legitimately think whatever his holding in the suit, and no inference can be or should be taken from such a pause. For example, if third hand has a singleton and declarer plays quickly from dummy, it is entirely legitimate for third hand to consider the hand generally.

This appeared in the 2009 revision. I give the EBU a hard time sometimes, but I have to give credit where it is due - this is one of their brighter moments

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#24 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2010-August-01, 19:50

NickRW, on Aug 2 2010, 01:40 PM, said:

From the latest EBU Orange Book:

7 F 2 It is normal for third hand to think before playing to trick one. Such thought is normally while declarer is thinking about his play. However, sometimes declarer plays quickly from dummy. At such a time third hand may legitimately think whatever his holding in the suit, and no inference can be or should be taken from such a pause. For example, if third hand has a singleton and declarer plays quickly from dummy, it is entirely legitimate for third hand to consider the hand generally.

This appeared in the 2009 revision. I give the EBU a hard time sometimes, but I have to give credit where it is due - this is one of their brighter moments

Nick

This is similar but not quite the mandate that is allowed by Law 73.

If players are expected to pause then a simple rule like declarer must wait 15 seconds before playing would be better than something that is discretionary as the EBU regulation appears to be.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog

#25 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-01, 20:14

Cavendish Conditions of Contest:

8. It is strongly recommended that at trick one declarer take about 15 seconds before playing to the opening lead and that the player in third seat take about 10 seconds before playing. Thereafter, significant breaks in tempo before selecting small cards will be strongly discouraged.

I think it's quite reasonable to take inference from this that in events with similar conditions of contest, a defender is free to tank for 10 seconds at trick one without fear of passing UI to partner and if a declarer fails to take his 15 seconds before playing from dummy, he would have limited scope to claim damage if RHO took no more than the balance of 25 seconds from when dummy hit the table.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#26 User is offline   Cascade 

Posted 2010-August-01, 20:19

mrdct, on Aug 2 2010, 02:14 PM, said:

Cavendish Conditions of Contest:

8. It is strongly recommended that at trick one declarer take about 15 seconds before playing to the opening lead and that the player in third seat take about 10 seconds before playing. Thereafter, significant breaks in tempo before selecting small cards will be strongly discouraged.

I think it's quite reasonable to take inference from this that in events with similar conditions of contest, a defender is free to tank for 10 seconds at trick one without fear of passing UI to partner and if a declarer fails to take his 15 seconds before playing from dummy, he would have limited scope to claim damage if RHO took no more than the balance of 25 seconds from when dummy hit the table.

1. Why would the Cavendish conditions apply in some other event?

2. A recommendation is not a mandate.

3. There is nothing in the recommendation that allows 3rd hand to use any of the balance of declarer's recommended pause.
Wayne Burrows

#27 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-01, 20:25

Cascade, on Aug 2 2010, 01:50 AM, said:

This is similar but not quite the mandate that is allowed by Law 73.

If players are expected to pause then a simple rule like declarer must wait 15 seconds before playing would be better than something that is discretionary as the EBU regulation appears to be.

You're right that it doesn't mandate it. However it does quite explicitly let the opening leader off the hook if 3rd hand takes 10 or so seconds after declarer fails to use the time. Which makes it tough luck on declarer if he plays quickly. So, no, its not mandated - but for declarer's own benefit the time should be taken as a matter of habit.

Nick
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#28 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-01, 20:37

Fred, but why did you play the lowest spade anyway ?
It seems that vugraph commentators were sure that you are showing K.
I would think that too playing with regular pd.

#29 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2010-August-01, 20:54

Golly, doesn't anyone play Obvious Shift at trick one? Then, there is no suit preference even with a singleton in dummy. The obvious shift on this hand is clubs and South would not signal for a club switch with Qx by discouraging a Spade continuation (which occasionally you might want).

We always pause 10-15 seconds as third hand and announce it if declarer plays fast from dummy at trick one. I can't believe the commentators made such an issue of it. I doubt Brad considered himself obligated to play a club, I wouldn't as signals at trick one are information, not commands.
Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#30 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-01, 20:59

Cascade, on Aug 1 2010, 09:19 PM, said:

1. Why would the Cavendish conditions apply in some other event?
I used the Cavendish conditions as an example to refute your assertion that "very few regulating authorities mandate this first trick pause" and also to confirm Fred's representation as to the standard custom and practice in the "high-level circles in the USA".

2. A recommendation is not a mandate.
True, but the existence of such recommendations would surely offer some protection to a defender who tanked after an instant play by declarer at trick one.

3. There is nothing in the recommendation that allows 3rd hand to use any of the balance of declarer's recommended pause.
I think it's an inference that can be reasonably drawn.

Notwithstanding any local regulations made under Law 73, a fast play from dummy at trick one would by any reasonable person's assessment fall within the definition of "undue haste" and is therefore an infraction under the Laws.

#31 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-02, 03:11

fred, on Aug 2 2010, 12:39 AM, said:

In fairness to me, Sontag instantly called a card from the dummy. That practice is  generally frowned upon in high-level circles in the USA (as is not signalling in tempo). I was not ready to play and figured that, since I needed at least a few seconds to think anyway, I might as well take as much time as I required - there would be a break in tempo no matter what and I didn't think the degree would be that important.

In fairness to Sontag, he immediately apologized and told me to take as much time as I needed. He is certainly not the sort of guy who would insta-play on purpose in the hope of creating an ethical problem for his opponents.

If Sontag had waited the customary 5 seconds or so, I like to think that I would have played a card then even if I was not yet certain of the card I wanted to play.

I'm not sure that it's for me to say this to you, but you shouldn't let your opponent's tempo create an ethical problem for your partner.

If you'll sometimes need to take 10 seconds at trick one, you should make sure that you always do. If declarer takes 5 seconds, take another 5 yourself; if he plays instantly, take 10 seconds yourself.

Edit: I realise, of course, that it's easier to say this than to actually do it consistently.

mrdct said:

A counter-defence that I usually employ when declarer calls for a card the instant dummy goes down is to fold my own hand, ask a few questions about the auction and inform everyone that I'm just thinking about the whole hand

So:
- When you don't want to think about trick one, you fold up your cards, make your announcement, etc.
- When you do want to think about trick one, you look at your hand and say nothing.
All you've done is made absolutely sure that partner knows whether you have a problem about what to play at trick one. Do you think he'll thank you for that?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#32 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-02, 07:03

gnasher, on Aug 2 2010, 07:11 PM, said:

So:
- When you don't want to think about trick one, you fold up your cards, make your announcement, etc.
- When you do want to think about trick one, you look at your hand and say nothing.
All you've done is made absolutely sure that partner knows whether you have a problem about what to play at trick one. Do you think he'll thank you for that?

In defence never play to trick one until at least 20 seconds after dummy is put down. I always have something to think about as the first thing I always try to do when dummy comes down is develop a picture of the shapes of partner and declarer which I do before I start to think about what signal to give or whether to play high or low etc. I'm not that fast with arithmetic so it usually takes me at least 10 seconds to get the shape possibiities narrowed down and then I start thinking about my card for this trick.

So:
- In all cases when declarer plays instantly to trick one, I fold my cards, query the auction, tell everyone I'm thinking, pick up my hand and find a card to play. Being consistent avoids passing UI.

#33 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-02, 07:06

But I don't think you should say "I am just thinking about the whole hand" when in fact you do have a trick one problem.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#34 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-02, 08:19

cherdanno, on Aug 2 2010, 11:06 PM, said:

But I don't think you should say "I am just thinking about the whole hand" when in fact you do have a trick one problem.

At trick one we should all have a think about the whole hand and then turn our attention to trick one problem. I promise you, your defence will improve significantly if you adopt this strategy on 100% of the hands you defend - especially the ones where you think you don't have a problem at trick one.

#35 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-August-02, 08:29

mrdct, on Aug 2 2010, 03:19 PM, said:

At trick one we should all have a think about the whole hand and then turn our attention to trick one problem.  I promise you, your defence will improve significantly if you adopt this strategy on 100% of the hands you defend - especially the ones where you think you don't have a problem at trick one.

Maybe Cherdano already adopts this strategy, but has worked out that it's possible to do it without making misleading statements, indulging in pointless histrionics, or distracting the other players with questions to which he already knows the answer.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#36 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-02, 09:22

fred, on Aug 1 2010, 06:39 PM, said:

In fairness to Sontag, he immediately apologized and told me to take as much time as I needed. He is certainly not the sort of guy who would insta-play on purpose in the hope of creating an ethical problem for his opponents.

I interpret this as waiving his rights regarding any UI you would transmit at trick 1. In other words if someone said that then called the director because of something Brad did at trick 2 after you think a bit at trick 1, I would not think very kindly of him...
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#37 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-August-02, 09:48

jdonn, on Aug 2 2010, 04:22 PM, said:

I interpret this as waiving his rights regarding any UI you would transmit at trick 1. In other words if someone said that then called the director because of something Brad did at trick 2 after you think a bit at trick 1, I would not think very kindly of him...

North is still constrained by Law 16, regardless of what declarer says. And it's not as though nobody would know.

#38 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-August-02, 10:06

gnasher, on Aug 2 2010, 10:48 AM, said:

jdonn, on Aug 2 2010, 04:22 PM, said:

North is still constrained by Law 16, regardless of what declarer says. And it's not as though nobody would know.

It's not uncommon for people to waive rights, for example how many times have you seen a declarer just tell a defender to take his card back when he quickly notices a revoke?

I mean, what else can Sontag's comment possibly have been intended to mean?

I also don't understand your comment "it's not like nobody would know". Would know what? At trick 1 when declarer plays instantly from dummy, and when no one knows how much of the time taken is by the vugraph operator, no one would know anything.

#39 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-August-02, 10:26

jdonn, on Aug 2 2010, 05:06 PM, said:

It's not uncommon for people to waive rights, for example how many times have you seen a declarer just tell a defender to take his card back when he quickly notices a revoke?

That may well be what he meant, but my point is that he doesn't have the authority to waive the rules about UI. Law 16 doesn't say "may not choose from amongst logical alternatives (unless the opponents say it's OK)". If something is illegal, it doesn't become legal just because RHO promises not to call the director if you do it.

I also don't understand your comment "it's not like nobody would know". Would know what? At trick 1 when declarer plays instantly from dummy, and when no one knows how much of the time taken is by the vugraph operator, no one would know anything.

If two players playing in some unimporant regional make a private agreement that, in order to restore equity, one of them will break the rules and the other will not call the director, nobody will know. If nobody knows, nobody will be in a position to care either.

If you do the same thing on Vugraph with the entire world watching, people probably will know, and some of them will care. Pauses and remarks made by the players are often reported by the Vugraph operator.

#40 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-August-02, 10:46

gnasher, on Aug 2 2010, 11:26 AM, said:

jdonn, on Aug 2 2010, 05:06 PM, said:

That may well be what he meant, but my point is that he doesn't have the authority to waive the rules about UI. Law 16 doesn't say "may not choose from amongst logical alternatives (unless the opponents say it's OK)". If something is illegal, it doesn't become legal just because RHO promises not to call the director if you do it.

I didn't say he has legal authority, I just said that's how I interpret his comment. Further I don't see anything at all wrong with it even if the laws don't expressly give him that right. But maybe we are arguing without actually disagreeing, I'm not sure.

Even as far as the legal aspect, I think it would be quite reasonable to determine that either/both of his instant play from dummy and his comment to Fred means a pause by Fred doesn't transmit UI. (Not in the sense that I think his comment is an attempt to waive his rights, but that it would be hard to transmit UI from taking time after declarer invited you to do just that.)

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users