BBO Discussion Forums: one of those hands - common problem after preempt - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

one of those hands - common problem after preempt

#1 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-August-01, 18:44

KQ3
AQ972
AT2
K5

it's matchpoints with only our side vulnerable; they deal and open;

(3) - ?

Your choice ?
If you choose dbl state your plan after common responses.
If you choose 3 or 3NT please say why.

Would it be different at IMPs ? I had this hand today and i am not happy about my bidding.

#2 User is offline   peterfrant 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2010-August-03, 02:41

1 First double
2 Then 3H

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2010-August-03, 03:25

Do we have to act? Probably. Pard rates to have some flattish 9-count and is very likely to pass out.

Prefer 3 to dbl. I'd hate to see pard bidding 4 with something like

Axxx
xxx
KQxx
xx

#4 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 03:37

3N is an atrocious bid. In general people overcall 3N way too much over 3C, it's generally right to double first if you'd like partner to convert your 3N to 4M with appropriate hands. 3C-3N vs 3C-X then 3N should be viewed similarly to after a 2S opener, it is much closer in nature to that and a 3M opener where partner will often bid past 3N, so you can't afford to X first.

Here why would you overcall 3N instead of X? If partner bids hearts you can play hearts, if partner bids 3S and you bid 3N, and partner goes back to 4S (since you showed tolerance via this sequence), are you unhappy with 3 great spades and 1 lousy club stopper? No of course not.

So, we start with double. 3H is not worthy of consideration, we have a nice 18 and we are supposed to play partner for 6 or 7 points when they preempt, so we just miss a game very often (about the only "rule" in bridge other than the rule of 11 that I like!).

Now what?

Over 3H we can bid 4H, that is easy.

The question is what to do over 3D and 3S. Let's start with 3S.

Our options are 3N which might get a preference back to 4S sometimes, but will always miss hearts and will still sometimes miss spades when they're right. 3N has the merit of possibly being our last making spot. We also might get some club help from partner and have a double stopper. Remember they are w/r at MP so it's important not to put partner with no club help immediately. Also, if we have a single stopper it's possible LHO has a stiff and we can shut them out anyways.

Still, it kind of feels like we're going to be dead in 3N whenever LHO has a doubleton club which sucks. Our alternative is to bid 4H which generally shows a flexible hand, because with just a 1 suiter we would overcall 4H. Partner will always correct with 5-1 in the majors etc. The 5-2 heart fit may play better than 3N with 1 club stopper, and a 5-3 fit in either major almost surely will. So a 4H bid while looking quite weird has a lot of merit.

What do we do over 3D? This time we have the options of 3H and 3N. Personally I think 3H is a standout. If partner passes it he is quite weak and we'll enjoy 3H way more than 3N, and if he has some values and 3 hearts he will raise. He even has a 3S punt if he wants to hear about a club stopper, and if he bids 3N himself that's great too. Even on the hands where he just raises 3H to 4H with Hx, I think we will do better in the 5-2 heart fit since he probably doesn't have club help.

Again, it's important to remember that Xing and bidding a suit after a preempt is NOT the same as doubling and bidding a suit after a 1 level opener. Knowing this difference is really key.

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 03:38

Oh and I guess I never said what I'd do over X p 3S. I think it would depend on how sound I thought my RHO rated to be, if it was a little old lady I'd bid 4H, and if it was some joker I'd just bid 3N.

#6 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 08:31

3NT>X>>>>>>3
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 09:39

I think double is obvious. I think 3NT over 3 is fairly clear although 4 could be right, but that 3 over 3 is utterly obvious and I'm surprised an analysis was even needed to reach that conclusion.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#8 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-August-03, 12:24

3 the hand is good, but a bit flat after all.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users