• You cannot reply to this topic

Is this a claim? If not what do you do?

#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-04, 04:26

Declarer has

Kx and at least one trump - all other trumps have been drawn.

Clubs have never been played. Dummy has no significant cards.

LHO is on lead.

Declarer looks at LHO and says "I was thinking of claiming."

Is this a claim?

This induces LHO a relatively inexperienced junior to face her A thus allowing declarer to win the K and his contract.

LHO has an alternative safe exit which declarer will have to ruff and lead from his Kx
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-04, 05:28

Cascade, on Oct 4 2010, 10:26 AM, said:

Is this a claim?

It is a statement describing declarer's state of mind - so no.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-October-04, 05:42

NickRW, on Oct 4 2010, 12:28 PM, said:

Is this a claim?

He was thinking of claiming, he's not anymore... So ask him if he's going to claim or not?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-October-04, 05:47

NickRW, on Oct 4 2010, 06:28 AM, said:

Is this a claim?

It's clearly not a claim, however it is coffee housing which declarer knows could adversely affect the opponents, hence I'd adjust.

There are bits of 74B/C and 12A that might apply.

It's not clear whether in 74C "indicating the expectation or intention of winning or losing a trick that has not been completed" applies to one that has not been started (declarer said claim not concede, so the implication is that he was claiming at least 1).

#5 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-04, 06:18

Yet again no hand, no auction, no jurisdiction, etc. but this is totally, unambiguously, clearly, obviously and incontrovertibly a claim.

Having been a victim of this sort of nonsense before, it's time to stand-up for Law 68A "a contestant claims when he suggests that play be curtailed".

Cards played after the claim is made are disregarded, and we rule favourably for the non-claiming side.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-October-04, 08:44

mrdct, on Oct 4 2010, 07:18 AM, said:

Yet again no hand, no auction, no jurisdiction, etc. but this is totally, unambiguously, clearly, obviously and incontrovertibly a claim.

Having been a victim of this sort of nonsense before, it's time to stand-up for Law 68A "a contestant claims when he suggests that play be curtailed".

Cards played after the claim is made are disregarded, and we rule favourably for the non-claiming side.

It's clearly not a claim (68A):

Any statement to the effect that a contestant will win a specific number of
tricks is a claim of those tricks. A contestant also claims when he suggests
that play be curtailed, or when he shows his cards (unless he demonstrably
did not intend to claim – for example, if declarer faces his cards after an
opening lead out of turn Law 54, not this Law, will apply).

He has not suggested play might be curtailed, he has suggested that he might have suggested that play be curtailed. Pedantic point, same effect, restitution under different laws.

#7 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2010-October-04, 12:45

"okay, go ahead then."

My standard answer to "I can claim/don't think too hard/..." (varying slightly to match the comment). Then, unless declarer does claim, I go back to working out the hand.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#8 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-04, 14:56

mycroft, on Oct 5 2010, 04:45 AM, said:

"okay, go ahead then."

My standard answer to "I can claim/don't think too hard/..." (varying slightly to match the comment).  Then, unless declarer does claim, I go back to working out the hand.

Perhaps a better standard response is, "are you suggesting that play be curtailed"? Then, if they say "yes" they won't have a leg to stand on when the director comes to the table to determine whether or not a claim has been been.

When declarer looks at LHO and says "I was thinking of claiming" what else ciould he be suggesting other than that play be curtailed? Law 68A purposefully uses the word "suggests" and this situation looks tailor-made for it.
Disclaimer: The above post may be a half-baked sarcastic rant intended to stimulate discussion and it does not necessarily coincide with my own views on this topic.
I bidding the suit below the suit I'm actually showing not to be described as a "transfer" for the benefit of people unfamiliar with the concept of a transfer

#9 User is offline   Cascade 

• Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-04, 15:24

I didn't think the jurisdiction mattered. It seemed to be just an interpretation.

It happened last week in New Zealand in the mixed pairs. I was the other defender at the table.

I thought this was coffee housing and our only course for redress would be based on a deceptive remark that declarer could have known would work to his advantage.

At the time I wasn't sure if my partner had misdefended or been deceived by the opponent's comment. At the end of the round after the opponents had gone I checked with her and she said she was annoyed by his comment. There was one round to go to the end of the session so I said I would talk with the director at the end of the session.

The director listened to our complaint and went away to consult and I presume talk to the opponents.

Eventually when he came back I was surprised when he said the directors had decided that the statement made constituted a claim based on the word "suggested" and that play had ceased and we were awarded an additional trick.

When i looked at the wording in the laws last night I was not sure that the statement really constituted a claim hence I posted here.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-04, 17:07

I feel very strongly this is not a claim though I still would adjust in your favor. I can not believe "I was thinking of claiming" should be interpreted identically to "I claim".

I have been in the exact same situation before (probably even worse - the statement against me was a clear "it doesn't matter what you do") and I (wrongly) did not receive a favorable ruling. The director told me I should have played on unless declarer claimed. Frankly that just seems rude and obnoxious to me when he tells me it doesn't matter what I do, but later it dawned on me. What I will do next time in that situation is ask declarer if I can look into his hand. If he objects, well then he can wait for me to think about it.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#11 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-04, 17:45

jdonn, on Oct 4 2010, 03:07 PM, said:

What I will do next time in that situation is ask declarer if I can look into his hand. If he objects, well then he can wait for me to think about it.

That's what I do. If they make noise, I just tell them to show their hand.

In other news, when I hear someone say "Are you suggesting play be curtailed?" with a completely straight face, I will know I have finally met mrdct.

#12 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-04, 17:55

The situation of declarer trying to hurry-up the defenders because it's obvious to him how the hand is going to play-out is exactly what Law 68A was designed to capture as a claim.

Quite overtly in the Laws you don't need to say you are claiming and you don't need to show your hand; all you need to do is suggest that play be curtailed. To my mind any comment by declarer along the lines of: "it doesn't matter what you do", "I wouldn't think too long on this one if I was you", etc. are clearly claims under Law 68A.

Josh's rationale of "I was thinking of claiming" should not be interpreted identically to "I claim" is irrelevant. The real question is can the statement "I was thinking of claiming" be reasonably interpreted as "I suggest play be curtailed".

I think pretty much anything coming out of declarer's mouth that indicates a desire to hurry things along is a suggestion to curtail play and should be dealt with as a claim.

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-04, 17:56

jdonn, on Oct 4 2010, 07:07 PM, said:

I feel very strongly this is not a claim though I still would adjust in your favor. I can not believe "I was thinking of claiming" should be interpreted identically to "I claim".

On what basis would you adjust?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2010-October-04, 17:59

Misleading remarks, Law 73.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#15 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-04, 18:13

blackshoe, on Oct 5 2010, 09:56 AM, said:

On what basis would you adjust?

If we aren't treating it as a claim, it's very obviously a Law 73F situation:

73F. Violation of Proprieties
When a violation of the Proprieties described in this law results in damage to an innocent opponent, if the Director determines that an innocent player has drawn a false inference from a remark, manner, tempo, or the like, of an opponent who has no demonstrable bridge reason for the action, and who could have known, at the time of the action, that the action could work to his benefit, the Director shall award an adjusted score (see Law 12C).

#16 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2010-October-04, 18:43

mrdct, on Oct 4 2010, 06:55 PM, said:

Josh's rationale of "I was thinking of claiming" should not be interpreted identically to "I claim" is irrelevant. The real question is can the statement "I was thinking of claiming" be reasonably interpreted as "I suggest play be curtailed".

My rationale is perfectly relevant. If "I claim" means "I suggest play be curtailed" then "I was thinking of claiming" means "I was thinking of suggesting play be curtailed" which does not mean "I suggest play be curtailed".
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#17 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-04, 20:18

The statement "I claim" includes but does not mean "I suggest play be curtailed".

A suggestion that play be curtailed can come in many shapes and sizes, and to my mind would include:

"It doesn't make any difference what you do";
"Don't bother thinking too hard about this";
"I think I've got the rest";
"I was thinking of claiming".

The laws clearly contemplate claims being made without uttering the C-word nor showing one's hand. Pretty much any gratuitous comment implying a desire, belief or intent to bring proceedings to an end sooner rather than later is a claim.

#18 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-04, 20:27

That's one opinion. Might be right, might not. Me, I'm not so sure.
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#19 User is offline   mrdct 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-04, 22:17

blackshoe, on Oct 5 2010, 12:27 PM, said:

That's one opinion. Might be right, might not. Me, I'm not so sure.

Well can you give me some examples of potential comments by declarer that you would consider a suggestion that play be curtailed for the purposes of Law 68A?

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-05, 00:23

What I'm saying is that there are likely to be statements that fit your criterion that do not constitute claims, so giving you examples of statements that do constitute claims is probably not going to be much help.

And right at the moment I should be asleep, so I don't have any examples of not-claims at my fingertips.
--------------------

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users