• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is this a claim? If not what do you do?

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-October-05, 00:50

People say things for a reason, they don't just blurt out irrelevant facts.

What do you think the point of his statement was, if not equivalent to one of those other ways that people usually suggest that play be curtailed?

I suppose he could mean "I was thinking of claiming, but I changed my mind." But why would a declarer tell the opponents that while the play is in progress? This interpretation generally only makes sense during the post mortem.

#22 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-05, 07:00

jdonn, on Oct 5 2010, 01:43 AM, said:

mrdct, on Oct 4 2010, 06:55 PM, said:

Josh's rationale of "I was thinking of claiming" should not be interpreted identically to "I claim" is irrelevant.  The real question is can the statement "I was thinking of claiming" be reasonably interpreted as "I suggest play be curtailed".

My rationale is perfectly relevant. If "I claim" means "I suggest play be curtailed" then "I was thinking of claiming" means "I was thinking of suggesting play be curtailed" which does not mean "I suggest play be curtailed".

That is not entirely true. Claiming can mean more things, the obvious one being "making a statement about the amount of tricks you win and how you do that".

That means that "I was thinking of claiming" could mean "I was thinking of making a statement about the amount of tricks I win and how I do that". That last meaning is certainly a suggestion that play should be curtailed and hence the statement would be a claim.

That's at least how I think Escher would reason. ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#23 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-05, 07:14

Cyberyeti, on Oct 4 2010, 12:47 PM, said:

It's clearly not a claim, however it is coffee housing which declarer knows could adversely affect the opponents, hence I'd adjust.

I think that is a sensible approach. Dunno if I would go so far as to adjust, though. Depends maybe on the likelihood that declarer would make the contract anyway without the defender showing his hand. But at least I would have a talk with declarer about it, trying to prevent this from happening again.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#24 User is offline   qwery_hi 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-05, 09:46

This incident happened when I was relatively new to bridge -

One time I landed in 3NT, doubled by LHO and before leading, she remarked to her partner "He's going down (just) like before". I remember being annoyed by this, and after the tournament asked one of the directors at my club what I should have done. She said that she would treat that statement as a claim, and ask LHO to describe her line of play.

Edit : Background was I had played the previous hand in a silly 3NT contract that went down quite a few.
Alle Menschen werden bruder.

Where were you while we were getting high?

#25 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-05, 09:54

mrdct, on Oct 4 2010, 06:13 PM, said:

blackshoe, on Oct 5 2010, 09:56 AM, said:

On what basis would you adjust?

If we aren't treating it as a claim, it's very obviously a Law 73F situation:

73F. Violation of Proprieties
When a violation of the Proprieties described in this law results in damage to an innocent opponent, if the Director determines that an innocent player has drawn a false inference from a remark, manner, tempo, or the like, of an opponent who has no demonstrable bridge reason for the action, and who could have known, at the time of the action, that the action could work to his benefit, the Director shall award an adjusted score (see Law 12C).

It certainly was the easy way out, for the actual director to rule it a claim. With play curtailed, no Ace of clubs was played and the defenders got their two tricks.

If he went the 73F route, he would have to determine effect of the coffee housing before making the same adjustment. The wording in 73F seems to require a determination that the defender has drawn a false inference ---not that the defender's play might have been influenced by.....

A tougher standard, I think.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#26 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2010-October-09, 08:13

I don't think it's a claim, either and would adjust under 73F as other people have done.

I think the following are not claims:

"It doesn't matter what you do" (this one is dubious, it might be)

(when dummy hits)"We've missed a cold grand"

As a defender, showing declarer a subset of your cards e.g. an AQ over dummy's KJ

"It's not worth thinking about this trick" (if untrue, that can lead to a different adjustment, but if true it's not a claim as other tricks may still require thought)

The following are claims:
"I've got the rest"
"You are two off"
"My hand is high"

#27 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-October-09, 08:46

You are 2 off need not be a claim, I had a situation where I pulled the wrong card out the bidding box (6H instead of 6N) and didn't notice until dummy put the trumps on the right and I was in a 2-1 fit. RHO said "down 5" (quickly agreed) as a suggestion to agree a score rather than play the stupid contract at pairs when we were a board behind anyway. It was neither intended nor interpreted as a claim.

We've missed a cold grand is clearly not a claim, it might not be in the denomination they're playing in.

#28 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2010-October-10, 13:05

On vugraph today, Helness was declarer in 4M.

Operator "Helness: There is no way you can give it [the contract] to me".

This sounded like a claim/concession to me.

Sure enough, the next report from the operator was "and claimed 9".
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#29 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-10, 13:59

Cyberyeti, on Oct 9 2010, 10:46 AM, said:

RHO said "down 5" (quickly agreed) as a suggestion to agree a score rather than play the stupid contract at pairs when we were a board behind anyway. It was neither intended nor interpreted as a claim.

Maybe I'm dense, but it sure sounds like a claim to me. RHO has claimed 6 tricks for his side. You agreed with his claim, so that's how it was scored (Law 69A). Seems like it was both intended and interpreted as a (valid) claim.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#30 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2010-October-10, 14:36

blackshoe, on Oct 10 2010, 02:59 PM, said:

Cyberyeti, on Oct 9 2010, 10:46 AM, said:

RHO said "down 5" (quickly agreed) as a suggestion to agree a score rather than play the stupid contract at pairs when we were a board behind anyway. It was neither intended nor interpreted as a claim.

Maybe I'm dense, but it sure sounds like a claim to me. RHO has claimed 6 tricks for his side. You agreed with his claim, so that's how it was scored (Law 69A). Seems like it was both intended and interpreted as a (valid) claim.

The tone of voice made it clear that it was a ballpark suggestion rather than a claim and that if I'd said 4 down he'd probably have taken it.

#31 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2010-October-10, 16:57

<best "Yes, Minister" British accent, with raised eyebrow>Highly irregular.</best...?

Whatever works, I suppose. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users