BBO Discussion Forums: Have you done enough bidding yet? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Have you done enough bidding yet? Transfer or Pass

#1 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-25, 03:45

IMPs

2 spades and a minor weak

Pass or transfer?
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#2 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-October-25, 04:43

Transfer.
( It may be the only way to take tricks in this hand ) .
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-25, 04:49

Pass because (a) we haven't been doubled and 50's are fine with me, and (b) with 3 cards in spades opposite partner's likely 3+ spades, a heart contract would bring spade ruffs into the picture as yet another way for the defenders to take tricks.

(Waiting for the inevitable comment that 'this is an easy 2 opening for us at the vulnerability, and we routinely do it on worse hands')
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#4 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-25, 05:02

I'll pass.
If we get doubled I can think again......

#5 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-October-25, 05:44

I would pass.
Michael Askgaard

#6 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-25, 05:45

I would transfer but reading other posts I start to think that probably I shouldn't have

#7 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-25, 05:51

It is possible that partner has the magic that allows game to make, yet I am quite pleased it is not in 2NT doubled. If passing this results in some horrible misfortune at 50 a pop I am surprised.

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-25, 06:08

I'd transfer, even after reading the other replies. I'm not yet willing to give up trying to find a sensible spot.

Maybe RHO didn't double 2NT because he had inadequate defence to a heart contract. Or maybe he just has a balanced 13-count and isn't going to double anything.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-October-25, 08:16

I pass.

Disaster avoidance is rarely a sound way to play bridge, but it sure looks like the best approach here. I haven't had time to do a simulation, but my gut tells me that we are far more likely to get nailed for 300-500 in 3than we are to improve the contract by the 2 tricks needed to begin to justify the transfer.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-25, 08:31

View Postgnasher, on 2010-October-25, 06:08, said:

I'd transfer, even after reading the other replies. I'm not yet willing to give up trying to find a sensible spot.

Maybe RHO didn't double 2NT because he had inadequate defence to a heart contract. Or maybe he just has a balanced 13-count and isn't going to double anything.

Since East passed already we know that we can probably play 2NT undoubled.
The risk of transferring, particularly at IMPs, is high. It is quite likely that West will be short in .Give him a singleton .
Now either partner or East has at least 4 cards in . Even if West has 2 cards in the are like to break 4-2 between partner and East.
If partner fits , he will super-accept and 4 might or might not get doubled, but it likely will and I would not relish a double of 4. Besides, in this case the ten of will likely be an (admittedly late) entry in 2NT.
If partner does not fit well, chances are that East has a stack. In this case 3 will get doubled and if it will, it will be a disaster.

Rainer Herrmann

#11 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-October-25, 11:40

View Postrhm, on 2010-October-25, 08:31, said:

Since East passed already we know that we can probably play 2NT undoubled.
The risk of transferring, particularly at IMPs, is high. It is quite likely that West will be short in .Give him a singleton .
Now either partner or East has at least 4 cards in . Even if West has 2 cards in the are like to break 4-2 between partner and East.
If partner fits , he will super-accept and 4 might or might not get doubled, but it likely will and I would not relish a double of 4. Besides, in this case the ten of will likely be an (admittedly late) entry in 2NT.
If partner does not fit well, chances are that East has a stack. In this case 3 will get doubled and if it will, it will be a disaster.

Why should we assume the worst? The expected average heart lengths around the table are roughly 2-3-3, but you seem to be assuming it will nearly always be 1-3-4, 1-4-3, 2-2-4 or 2-4-2. If LHO has two hearts, then 2-3-3 is more likely than 2-2-4.

Nor is there any certainty that RHO will double when he has four hearts. He doesn't have very good spots, and a holding like KJ8x sitting under the length won't look much more useful than it did against 2NT.

When partner has If partner has 2 or 3 hearts, my hand will be worthless in notrumps, but playing in hearts it will usually be worth two tricks. The trump suit will also provide entries to dummy. The weak two-bidder appears to be maximum, so those entries may be quite useful.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#12 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2010-October-25, 11:57

Wow, when I read OP I thought it was going to be 100% "transfer wtp"

Now I'm totally unsure of what's right, but in practice, I would transfer with this hand.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#13 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2010-October-25, 13:03

View Postgnasher, on 2010-October-25, 11:40, said:

Why should we assume the worst? The expected average heart lengths around the table are roughly 2-3-3, but you seem to be assuming it will nearly always be 1-3-4, 1-4-3, 2-2-4 or 2-4-2. If LHO has two hearts, then 2-3-3 is more likely than 2-2-4.

Nor is there any certainty that RHO will double when he has four hearts. He doesn't have very good spots, and a holding like KJ8x sitting under the length won't look much more useful than it did against 2NT.

When partner has If partner has 2 or 3 hearts, my hand will be worthless in notrumps, but playing in hearts it will usually be worth two tricks. The trump suit will also provide entries to dummy. The weak two-bidder appears to be maximum, so those entries may be quite useful.

I ran some simulations, altho time constraints make my sample small. I gave west 5-10 hcp and 5-6 spades and 4-6 in a minor, and N at least one spade stopper and 16-18 hcp (I think many players would overcall on good 15s but I don't think this invalidates the concept)

I excluded hands on which I felt it fairly likely that East would double 2N, but left in some hands on which East could expect to defeat 2N but would be worried about a runout (in one case, he held AKQJxx in clubs but short hearts.

There was of course a large element of subjectivity in deciding how clear double was as East...and I tried to be conservative.....there were a number of hands on which 3 did badly but on which I felt that double would be aggressive and therefore assumed no double.

based on that, transfering generating 20 disasters, while reaching undoubled contracts that played as well or better in hearts than notrump 7 times, and played worse than notrump, but was undoubled, 5 times. So on an admittedly limited sample, transferring was a very unwise decision.

I assumed that West would never reopen...I think that is valid.

edit: at imps I am a very conservative doubler of part-scores into game and thus when deliberately, as here,, being conservative, I strongly believe that my simulation, if anything understates the frequency of disaster. I should also add that on at least two of the disasters, we hit partner with 18 real and 4 hearts, and I assumed a super-accept...and thus a double when I doubt that East would have doubled 3H (if he is as conservative as I am in doubling partscores into game)
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#14 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-October-25, 13:16

View Postmikeh, on 2010-October-25, 13:03, said:

I ran some simulations, altho time constraints make my sample small. I gave west 5-10 hcp and 5-6 spades and 4-6 in a minor, and N at least one spade stopper and 16-18 hcp (I think many players would overcall on good 15s but I don't think this invalidates the concept)

I excluded hands on which I felt it fairly likely that East would double 2N, but left in some hands on which East could expect to defeat 2N but would be worried about a runout (in one case, he held AKQJxx in clubs but short hearts.

There was of course a large element of subjectivity in deciding how clear double was as East...and I tried to be conservative.....there were a number of hands on which 3 did badly but on which I felt that double would be aggressive and therefore assumed no double.

based on that, transfering generating 20 disasters, while reaching undoubled contracts that played as well or better in hearts than notrump 7 times, and played worse than notrump, but was undoubled, 5 times. So on an admittedly limited sample, transferring was a very unwise decision.

I assumed that West would never reopen...I think that is valid.

edit: at imps I am a very conservative doubler of part-scores into game and thus when deliberately, as here,, being conservative, I strongly believe that my simulation, if anything understates the frequency of disaster. I should also add that on at least two of the disasters, we hit partner with 18 real and 4 hearts, and I assumed a super-accept...and thus a double when I doubt that East would have doubled 3H (if he is as conservative as I am in doubling partscores into game)

Thanks Mike.

This is very interesting.

I made a little mistake in the description. The common way here is for 2 to be exactly five spades.

On the actual hand I had the strong no trump hand and partner transferred. I perhaps made an unwise decision to super-accept with only three trumps but I had 19 hcp 4=3=4=2 and didn't fancy any alternative action over 2 that would often lead to 3NT or perhaps a really silly partscore if I just accept a Lebensohl puppet to 3 after a double. This resulted in down four!!! Although maybe I could have done a little better. Thankfully we were not doubled.

Partner perhaps reasonably criticized my super-accept. However I suggested that he should have been very happy with an undoubled 2NT as his hopes of making a three-level contract looked poor and he might get doubled.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#15 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2010-October-25, 14:12

Transfer wtp?

Ok, serious; 2NT making seems unlikely to me, while 3 will make far more often. That is still a 4 or 5 imp difference. I do not toss that to the wind this lightly.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#16 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2010-October-25, 14:29

There is actually a second, backhanded reason to pass. To keep the opponents from reaching a cold game. Given the colors and scoring maybe E did not consider the requirement changes for a "weak 2" at these colors and scoring. Why risk waking them up.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#17 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2010-October-25, 14:49

View Postgnasher, on 2010-October-25, 11:40, said:

Sorry, when I wrote this, I thought they'd opened a weak two - I hadn't noticed that 2 was two-suited. That does make a bad heart break more likely than I thought, but I'd expect that it's still more likely that LHO has 2 than 1.

#18 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2010-October-25, 15:25

Very interesting simulation, Mike.

I am a passer. This hand kind of reminds me of the hand from the Spingold this year that cost Berkowitz-Sontag and company the fatal IMPs. Once again it seems best to take my -100 or -150, I'm just thankful it hasn't gotten worse yet.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#19 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2010-October-26, 03:11

View Postpooltuna, on 2010-October-25, 14:29, said:

There is actually a second, backhanded reason to pass. To keep the opponents from reaching a cold game. Given the colors and scoring maybe E did not consider the requirement changes for a "weak 2" at these colors and scoring. Why risk waking them up.

My opponents are generally awake.

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users