• You cannot reply to this topic

theoretical case

#1 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2010-November-08, 10:01

This is a theoretical case, based on a hand I had this weekend (7NT went -5).

Suppose you're playing against some LOLs and the auction goes something like this:
2! - 2!
3 - 3
3NT - 4NT
5 - 5NT
6 - 7NT
pass
(2 = multi: WK 6M or GF hands ; 2 = P/C)
5 was explained as 3 Aces
6 was explained as 3 Kings

Partner leads a small and in dummy appears:
AQJTxx
xxx
Qx
Qx
The Q is covered with K and A, and declarer plays off all his s (say 6 or 7, whatever). My partner "knows" that declarer has K and all the Aces, so he supposes this LOL just never claims. He discards his 4 little s to guard his Q and some s (you never know). All of a sudden however, declarer appears to have only 2 Kings, missing the K. I have K stiff, but because my partner discarded all his s declarer can now drop my King!
(Even if he discards 3 s it's highly likely the LOL will play A because who would ever discard 3 s from Kxxxx? So you might also rule in this case.)

What's your ruling?

Note: the CC doesn't contain the responses after a King ask, Ace ask is RKC 0314 (also without trump suit).
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#2 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-November-08, 10:46

What did declarer think 6 was showing? I think they should be asked!

It seems unlikely that a LOL would make a psychic response to the King ask, so if they bid 6 intending to show 2 kings then there are two possibilities:
a) the explanation is mistaken and declarer is obliged to correct it before the hand is played
B) declarer realised they had got the agreement wrong.

In the second case there is no obligation to correct, but I would want to be very sure that the agree really was as partner described before I said nothing in this situation!

In the absence of clear evidence that 6 really showed 3 kings I would expect a ruling based on mistaken explanation rather than mistaken bid. In that case it seems very likely that there will be an adjusted score since the outcome might well have been different without the mistaken explanation.

Even if you think it was a serious error for the defender not to continue to "play bridge" by assuming partner actually had K, you would still adjust for the declaring side if you thought the result had been affected.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users