• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

CUE BID ALERT PRECISION

#1 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-05, 23:25

1 Alerted as Precision 17+, South's Pass alerted as 0/8 or trap

After making my lead I called the director because East's hand was 6 5 2 0 a michaels bid.

The director quickly informed me that 2 is a standand call requiring no alert, and to continue play. Had the call beeen alerted the bidding would have been very different.

Unconvinced, a day later I posed this question to the local directors all of whom agreed with the ruling. Saying that cuebids are not alertable.

It is not at all clear to me that this ruling and the opinion of my local directors is correct.

The ACBL offers this definition.

Cuebid: A bid in a suit which an opponent has either bid naturally or in which he has shown four or more cards.

My 1 opening bid is not natural and does not show 4 or more cards in , seeminly, a cuebid of an artificial opening cannot be made. It appears to me the director has ruled incorrectly and I would appreciate if someone can provide a proper explaination.

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2010-November-05, 23:39

You copied the ACBL's definition of cuebid, should we assume that this happened in ACBL jurisdicion?

If so, you are correct. Bidding a suit that an opponent has bid artificially is not a cue bid, and is not self-alerting. The standard meaning of this bid is natural.

Strangely, the ACBL convention card used to have a column of checkboxes in the Direct Cuebid section for "artificial bids", and all the boxes were black: Natural, Strong T/O, and Michaels. I assume they remove this because it was both misplaced (it's not really a cuebid) and the Strong T/O meaning didn't even make sense (what's a takeout when the opponents haven't shown a suit?).

#3 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2010-November-07, 09:26

View Postbarmar, on 2010-November-05, 23:39, said:

You copied the ACBL's definition of cuebid, should we assume that this happened in ACBL jurisdicion?

If so, you are correct. Bidding a suit that an opponent has bid artificially is not a cue bid, and is not self-alerting. The standard meaning of this bid is natural.

Strangely, the ACBL convention card used to have a column of checkboxes in the Direct Cuebid section for "artificial bids", and all the boxes were black: Natural, Strong T/O, and Michaels. I assume they remove this because it was both misplaced (it's not really a cuebid) and the Strong T/O meaning didn't even make sense (what's a takeout when the opponents haven't shown a suit?).

Yes it was indeed within the ACBL. Does the WBF handle this differently?

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2010-November-07, 12:53

Alert regulations vary from country to country, and the WBF also has its own. I think the WBF's regs on alerting cuebids are dfferent from the ACBL's, but I'd have to look it up to be certain.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2010-November-07, 12:53

View Postjmcw, on 2010-November-07, 09:26, said:

Yes it was indeed within the ACBL. Does the WBF handle this differently?

I am not sure about the WBF but it is certainly handled differently in some other places where a cuebid is defined as a bid in the suit bid or shown by an opponent without the caveat that the suit bid needs to be natural.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users