• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

imadvertant

#41 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-07, 07:36

View Postbluejak, on 2011-February-07, 07:03, said:

The wording of the regulation is in line with the Law. It is the interpretation we were told that does not fit in. Unintentionally means "I did not mean to select this card" at the time I selected it, and so the WBFLC says. We were told here that Australian TDs have been given a different interpretation.

And I think it is worth emphasizing that the player need not discover his mistake and try to correct it until (just) before his partner has subsequently called.

The fact that the unintended call was actually made, and even that the player's LHO has subsequently called is irrelevant for Law 25A1 to apply.

#42 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-07, 07:46

View Postalphatango, on 2011-February-07, 02:36, said:

Just a short note re Australian bidding box regulations, of which the current version is located here.

Relevant (IMO) quotes below, including all references to "select/ed":

Presumably "made" calls are a subset of "selected" calls, which is why I'm not sure that mrdct's interpretation of this regulation is the only one possible.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#43 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-07, 08:17

View Postmrdct, on 2011-February-06, 15:14, said:

You might need to re-read the Australian regulations (which are the relevant one's for this thread as that was the jurisdiction in which the OP's situation arose). There are two states of a bid, "made" and "selected". Bids are "made" when the bidding cards are "held face up, touching or nearly touching the table; or maintained in such a position as to indicate that the call has been made". There is nothing in the Australian regulations that would permit a director to allow a "made" bid to be changed. A "selected" bid is quite a different concept and is the mere the act of touching or extracting a bidding card from the box but not going so far as to "make" the actual bid. Under Australian regulations, "selected" bids can be changed if the TD determined that the selection was unintentional; but once a bid is "made" there is no turning back.

Laurie Kelso, the moderator of the Appeals forum on http://www.abda.org.au/forum/index.php tells me this is not so.

He writes: "The expiration period for a Law 25A1 correction remains as per Law (i.e. up until that person's partner subsequently calls). The Australian bidding box regulations do not impinge upon this right..."
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users