BBO Discussion Forums: The Conspiracy of Mathematics - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Conspiracy of Mathematics Or, why education reform won't find Elvis.

#81 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-February-14, 04:42

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-February-11, 16:30, said:

Luxury! We had to get up three hours before we went to bed, hue checkers from the bones of our own legs, then walk barefooot miles and miles in 12 foot drifts of snow on top of furnace grates until the soles of our feet were crisscrossed enough from the char to be used as a checkboard.

Up next, the dead parrot sketch.

I hate math.

#82 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-February-14, 19:46

View Postmatmat, on 2011-February-14, 04:42, said:

Up next, the dead parrot sketch.

I hate math.

I don't blame you. Me, I always wanted to be a lumberjack.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#83 User is offline   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-14, 20:53

View PostWinstonm, on 2011-February-14, 19:46, said:

I don't blame you. Me, I always wanted to be a lumberjack.

In high school they gave us the Kuder Preference Test to see what careers we are psychologically suited for. Letter grades were assigned. For mathematics I got a C minus. This amused me greatly. Recommended careers were aviation and farming. Mostly I think the test accurately diagnosed me as being a somewhat confused seventeen year old male. On the other hand, I once took an intelligence test that recommended I consider semi-skilled labor as a career choice. So maybe a semi-skilled pilot of a crop duster. That could explain the plane crash in North by Northwest.
Ken

#84 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2011-February-14, 22:33

View Postkenberg, on 2011-February-14, 20:53, said:

In high school they gave us the Kuder Preference Test to see what careers we are psychologically suited for. Letter grades were assigned. For mathematics I got a C minus. This amused me greatly. Recommended careers were aviation and farming. Mostly I think the test accurately diagnosed me as being a somewhat confused seventeen year old male. On the other hand, I once took an intelligence test that recommended I consider semi-skilled labor as a career choice. So maybe a semi-skilled pilot of a crop duster. That could explain the plane crash in North by Northwest.

I took one of those tests once upon a great time ago - but I don't remember the results. However, I did take a state-sponsored vocational test which said I could be anything except a brain surgeon, as I didn't have the small-muscle dexterity for the job. So I got a job cracking open small mussels with dexterity. It didn't pay as much as brain surgery but you got to eat for free - if you can call that eating.

This has noting to do with math except that I couldn't do that, either, and it didn't seem to have anyting to do with small muscles, small mussels, or dexterity.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users