• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spread 'em How do you arrange dummy

#1 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-September-07, 08:44

Partner is playing a NT contract, the lead is made and you face the dummy.
Do you have any routine about which suits you place on your right, left?.

This is not quite as trivial as it may seem!. Until last night it was random for me.

#2 User is offline   Ethel 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-September-07, 08:47

I don't think it matters. I try not to put a suit/suits that we have bid on the right hand side. Partners sometimes forget the contract. (Perhaps that should read -" I "- sometimes forget the contract). :rolleyes:

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-September-07, 08:51

A common strategy is to avoid putting any suit that has been bid by your side on the right, to avoid declarer mistaking it as trumps.

I think we may have had discussions in the IBLF about whether this is strictly legal -- it could be interpreted as illegal communication between partners or participation in the play. But one could also make the same claim about alternating colors, and I've never heard of anyone complaining about that.

Seems like something only a Secretary Bird would make an issue of.

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-September-07, 08:55

With a partner that is prone to playing fast, I will try to put down the lead suit last, just to give them a few more milliseconds to plan the play, which they won't do anyway.

Protocol is alternating the colors in dummy.

I've been experimenting with getting my partners to sort the dummy the same as my hand, so SHCD from left to right. It seems to help when you plan the play and look at your 'trick packages'. That is how the GIBs put it down, and when you play a lot of robot tourneys, you kind of get used to it.

Ethel's (and barmars) tip about NOT putting a bid suit on declarer's left is a good one!
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-September-07, 08:59

View PostPhil, on 2012-September-07, 08:55, said:

With a partner that is prone to playing fast, I will try to put down the lead suit last, just to give them a few more milliseconds to plan the play, which they won't do anyway.
Ethel's (and barmars) tip about NOT putting a bid suit on declarer's left is a good one!

I like to do both, but I also tend to put the suits down right to left. When the opening lead is the only unbid suit (not uncommon), I have to start thinking....

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 09:59

Having a partner with bad eyesight, my dummies are "always" <trump>SHDC, as he requests. I have been known to misplace a 6-card spade suit in 3NT however.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 10:05

It may be a bad habit, but often as dummy in a NT contract, I resort my hand while opening leader is thinking, such that the suit I expect him to lead is on my right, and gets laid down first (even if he does not actually lead it). This method almost always places an unbid suit on my right. Thereafter I alternate colors.

In suits, if I have shortness in a color opposite trumps, I always lay that down second. Not really sure why, just another habit that might be bad.

If four color cards are in use, do people still alternate "black" and "red" suits?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-September-07, 10:12

Alternating color is the only criterion for me.

#9 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 10:28

View PostArtK78, on 2012-September-07, 10:12, said:

Alternating color is the only criterion for me.

Indeed, I think the rest of it is over thinking.

#10 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 10:34

I put my longer suit of each color in the second and third positions, to hopefully keep the colors separated for as long as possible. If partner might confuse one of the other two suits for trump, it goes on the far right.

#11 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 10:35

View PostTimG, on 2012-September-07, 10:28, said:

Indeed, I think the rest of it is over thinking.

Have you or your partners never played a NT in a suit before realizing your mistake :)

#12 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 11:15

View Postjmcw, on 2012-September-07, 10:35, said:

Have you or your partners never played a NT in a suit before realizing your mistake :)

I direct all the mental energy that I'd expend on worrying about the order of dummy's suits to remembering what the contract is. Of course, even that has failed a few times. :-)

#13 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2012-September-07, 11:21

View Postjmcw, on 2012-September-07, 10:35, said:

So what are you suggesting? Putting all of the NT's on the left?

#14 User is offline   rwbarton 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 11:34

I put the opening lead suit on declarer's left unless I think partner might think it is trump. The rest of the suits just go in some alternating color order. Pretty similar to billw55 I guess except I don't reorder my suits in advance of laying them down.

I have no evidence to back this up but I imagine there is some edge in cognitive ease to normally having declarer's weak suit in the same place, compared to laying out dummy in a random order. I expect it slightly helps pattern recognition in questions of how many rounds to hold up, etc., even if declarer isn't aware of it. But now I want to try Phil's suggestion of getting partner to match the order of the suits in my hand, as I've recently noticed that counting my tricks is easier when the suits line up, as when reading a book or playing online (I use the hand diagram mode).

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-September-07, 11:45

View PostTimG, on 2012-September-07, 11:15, said:

I direct all the mental energy that I'd expend on worrying about the order of dummy's suits to remembering what the contract is. Of course, even that has failed a few times. :-)

How much mental energy do you have to expend when you're dummy?

#16 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 12:00

View PostArtK78, on 2012-September-07, 11:21, said:

So what are you suggesting? Putting all of the NT's on the left?

I have done it before. I bid , partner raised and we ended in NT.
The were placed on the right and I proceeded to play as if I was in a contact....hey it happens or could.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2012-September-07, 12:07

And vice versa. I've had auctions where a minor is raised, NT is offered, but we go back to the minor. Then I proceed to play as if we're in NT.

#18 User is offline   Ethel 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 14:29

I also neglected to say that the suit led is always the last one I put down - NT or Suit contract. It is supposed to give declarer time to look at the rest of the hand. It is not really a signal. As to putting the suits down with black-red-black-red I never worry about that and only change them if partner or the opps insist. So far, I can tell the difference between them (thankfully) so it makes no difference to me how dummy puts the suits down. It has never crossed my mind that someone would think that ANYONE was giving or getting some information on the way dummy puts the cards down. Sometimes it seems to me that people are too picky and should just remember that this is a card game and is meant to be enjoyable. If you go looking for trouble, be assured that trouble will find you. I have a feeling that the first poster had a reason for asking the question. Hope he/she will elaborate. It facinates me just what some people can find to get upset about. :D

#19 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 15:18

I just put down diamonds, clubs, hearts, then spades from my left to right. It feels kind of insulting to partner to be trying to influence the play of the hand by the way I put down dummy.

#20 User is offline   ThymePuns 

• PipPip

Posted 2012-September-07, 17:03

One of my partners likes to put down five suits: spades, hearts, diamonds, clubs, and aces.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users