Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Automatic? Lead problem

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-February-24, 07:56

Your lead? Is it automatic? If not, what else are you considering? (This was played at MP, but I suspect it makes little difference.)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-24, 08:33

Spade Q. I considered a heart, and a club as well. But I don't think partner could have so many hearts (especially top ones) that he's doubling for a heart lead, and if a club is called for, it (almost surely) can't hurt to lead a spade first.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#3 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-24, 08:49

X to me says "lead your suit" so 10. I wouldn't have started from here though as I'd have bid 2 rather than 1 to show / with longer by our methods. That gives an interesting lead problem after the X.

#4 User is offline   Raivis 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-February-24, 08:51

Automatic 9.
Pass is my lovely bid!

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-24, 09:06

View PostCyberyeti, on 2011-February-24, 08:49, said:

X to me says "lead your suit" so 10. I wouldn't have started from here though as I'd have bid 2 rather than 1 to show / with longer by our methods. That gives an interesting lead problem after the X.

2D would be natural for us, for better or for worse. I could have bid 2N, but I don't consider bidding 1S here that strange.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-February-24, 09:26

View Postwyman, on 2011-February-24, 09:06, said:

2D would be natural for us, for better or for worse. I could have bid 2N, but I don't consider bidding 1S here that strange.

Yeah, my methods are odd, not yours.

#7 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-24, 09:26

club 9

p cant depend on us have such a marvelous spade suit but they can see if
they have marvelous clubs (and an outside entry).

OR in a slightly more gambling mode something like AQJ of clubs 2 small spades and maybe another card hoping to use club entries to lead spades through rho.

#8 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-February-24, 11:55

When dummy has shown a 6-card suit, I don't think double asks me to lead that suit. It just says that he thinks the contract is going down because his cards are well placed. I'd lead K, which will probbaly hold the trick, and then decide what to do.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#9 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-24, 13:12

What gnasher said.

Maybe it's possible RHO has Jxxx in spades and partner has doubled with Ax to make sure I lead one but probably the double is just to increase the penalty since they have bid a thin game and suits are breaking very badly for them.

#10 User is offline   Poky 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-February-25, 05:54

Heart.
Partner forbid the spade lead, probably has a singleton.

#11 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 12:29

I led a high spade, also. By the way, why the K and not the standard Q (not that it makes a difference here)?

#12 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 12:56

Q should be automatic. The hand sure is harder for declarer if p doesn't cover the 9.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-February-25, 13:16

By the way, why the K and not the standard Q (not that it makes a difference here)?

Because where I come from K is standard from that holding.

Having seen the play, I'm surprised that you're so concerned about the opening lead. The main problem seems to have been partner's play of 10 at trick two, which is a bit of a shocker. If he plays low, I don't think declarer can make it, even double-dummy.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-February-25, 13:29

View Postgnasher, on 2011-February-25, 13:16, said:

Because where I come from K is standard from that holding.

Having seen the play, I'm surprised that you're so concerned about the opening lead. The main problem seems to have been partner's play of 10 at trick two, which is a bit of a shocker. If he plays low, I don't think declarer can make it, even double-dummy.

The issue was that pard was upset that I didn't lead a club, which he thought the X called for, and after which the defense is basically trivial.

Agree wholeheartedly re: the diamond. I don't know how he thought declarer was getting to hand, but he tanked for awhile before putting the 10 in.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users