BBO Discussion Forums: How do you lead? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do you lead? Specific problem but also general issue

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-April-05, 06:57

I'm not quite sure about the exact bidding sequence but that was surely the contract (and the declarer). The thing is that the 10 was led, East asked about leading agreements and North responded they led 3rd and 5th. East put up the J and ended up down one.

I guess there should be no redress as east goes down no matter what he plays to the first trick. It is even naive to think they'd lead the 10 from AQTx (but it could be AQT9(x)?). The thing is that I'd like to know what should the proper answer be to the question: How do you lead? and whether the asker or the answerer should pursue the matter further in a case like this. Or for example, someone leads the Ace and the question is made, can the answer be: '3rd and 5th'?

Thanks for clearing this up for me.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-05, 07:11

Would normally say "at trick one, low-card leads are third and fifth, honour-card leads are [whatever they are]". Alternatively, when partner leads a speculative king from king-doubleton to declarer's ace with dummy holding QJ10, it is permissible to reply "top of nothing".
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#3 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-April-05, 08:08

A good and correct answer to a general question about leads is to describe what the low card leads are, and what the honour card leads are.

However, I do think after an honour lead, and a question about leads elicited an answer such as the one given it does seem fairly normal to ask a further question such as "Your honour card leads?".
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#4 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-06, 05:33

View Postbluejak, on 2011-April-05, 08:08, said:

A good and correct answer to a general question about leads is to describe what the low card leads are, and what the honour card leads are.

However, I do think after an honour lead, and a question about leads elicited an answer such as the one given it does seem fairly normal to ask a further question such as "Your honour card leads?".

Important not to be careless here. bluejak's phrasing is fine, but I remember the senior High Court judge who usually plays rubber bridge at TGRs, but one day found himself substituting in a teams match. Asked brusquely "your honour leads?" he replied "I lead fourth highest, and it's My Lord, not Your Honour."
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-April-06, 05:49

View Postdburn, on 2011-April-06, 05:33, said:

Important not to be careless here. bluejak's phrasing is fine, but I remember the senior High Court judge who usually plays rubber bridge at TGRs, but one day found himself substituting in a teams match. Asked brusquely "your honour leads?" he replied "I lead fourth highest, and it's My Lord, not Your Honour."

But only in court. At the bridge table he should be addressed simply as "Judge".
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users