Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Follow my Leader There's more

#1 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-23, 17:22

There is discussion on BLML on this topic, and I am not going to mention names because I have not read the discussion, but certain people, some of whom may be on the WBFLC, believe in this interpretation of Law 23:

It does not apply in this case because the player had already decided what she was going to discard on the third club. Therefore she "could not have known" that the second revoke would help her side.

Well. This is what a believer in the interpretation told me here in Posnan, and I must admit that I have no idea what it means, even though I asked him to explain it and he tried at length. But apparently in the general case it means that to make a Law 23 ruling you have to decide whether the player actually knew or didn't know. Which is exactly what L23 is designed to avoid.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#2 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 02:07

Such people don't seem to understand what "could have known" means, then.

#3 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 04:55

As is normally the case with law 23, since declarer wasn't aware that he was committing an infraction he obviously didn't know that it could help his side; but he could have known had he been aware of the infraction, and that is what counts.

#4 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-24, 14:31

Yes. This should be obvious, but apparently there is a way to twist the text of the law.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users