• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

set one's own bidding system

#1 User is offline   jojopara 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-June-17, 07:33

Hello,

Is there a bridge software where one can set one's own bidding system including one's devised points count?

Thank you!

#2 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-17, 08:23

Please explain what you mean by "bridge software" and "to set".
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-June-17, 08:38

This might help:

http://www.bridgebas...fd-file-format/

But you probably need to explain more clearly what you are trying to accomplish.

#4 User is offline   jojopara 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-June-17, 11:45

I use different points count for honours. e.g. an Ace is 6 points. Hope it is clear now.

Thank you for the replies.

mgoetze, on 2011-June-17, 08:23, said:

Please explain what you mean by "bridge software" and "to set".

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-17, 11:50

jojopara, on 2011-June-17, 11:45, said:

I use different points count for honours. e.g. an Ace is 6 points. Hope it is clear now.

I think people were asking what kind of software you were looking for. A program to play against three robots? Or something else?
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2011-June-17, 12:46

jojopara, on 2011-June-17, 11:45, said:

Uhm, I asked you about two specific parts of your question and you answered about an entirely different part of it. Why do you expect that to make anything clear?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#7 User is offline   jojopara 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-June-17, 14:56

A bridge programme in which I will be able to use my own high card point count, e.g. an ace = 6 p.

mgoetze, on 2011-June-17, 12:46, said:

Uhm, I asked you about two specific parts of your question and you answered about an entirely different part of it. Why do you expect that to make anything clear?

#8 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-June-17, 15:02

jojopara, on 2011-June-17, 14:56, said:

A bridge programme in which I will be able to use my own high card point count, e.g. an ace = 6 p.

You have to explain what you mean, sorry. Use them how, for what purpose... For your own simulations, for showing system to other people? On BBO? Outside BBO?

#9 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-June-17, 15:18

Do you mean a program to play bridge with, like Bridge Baron or Jack, but instead of a list of conventions to choose from you want to tell the computer to e.g. open 1NT only if it has a certain number of "your" points (A = 6, K = ...)?

If that is what you're looking for, I don't know of such a program. Perhaps others do?

May I suggest instead using these points yourself but letting the computer evaluate hands by its own methods?

For example, if you decide to use A=6, K=4, Q=2, J=1 and open 1NT with 19-23 of those points (my guess at an analogue of 15-17), you can just decide to bid that way, and when the computer opens 1NT with 15-17 it should be reasonable to decide it has opened with 19-23 of "your" points. Computer bidding is not so precise that this will make a huge difference, hopefully.

If this was not what you meant, apologies, but please do explain what you do mean.

#10 User is offline   babalu1997 

• Duchess of Malaprop
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:i am not interested

Posted 2011-June-17, 15:42

semeai, on 2011-June-17, 15:18, said:

Do you mean a program to play bridge with, like Bridge Baron or Jack, but instead of a list of conventions to choose from you want to tell the computer to e.g. open 1NT only if it has a certain number of "your" points (A = 6, K = ...)?

If that is what you're looking for, I don't know of such a program. Perhaps others do?

May I suggest instead using these points yourself but letting the computer evaluate hands by its own methods?

For example, if you decide to use A=6, K=4, Q=2, J=1 and open 1NT with 19-23 of those points (my guess at an analogue of 15-17), you can just decide to bid that way, and when the computer opens 1NT with 15-17 it should be reasonable to decide it has opened with 19-23 of "your" points. Computer bidding is not so precise that this will make a huge difference, hopefully.

If this was not what you meant, apologies, but please do explain what you do mean.

you mean you want as bridge robot that evaluates the hand according to a different point count?

maybe if you can find some open source software and change it?

View PostFree, on 2011-May-10, 03:57, said:

Babalu just wanted a shoulder to cry on, is that too much to ask for?

#11 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-17, 15:48

I think you should write it yourself.

#12 User is offline   jojopara 

• PipPip

Posted 2011-June-18, 02:43

Thank you all for the replies!

Diana_Eva, I want it to test it with other bidding systems software and to play, of course.

Bubalu1997, I know I can use what you propose, but this is good only for NT. Where my system is really good (or so I think as my brainchild :) ) is opening one in the majors.

Matmat, if I could write it, I would not ask for it.

Anyway, this seems to remain a wishful thinking on my part.

Once again, thank you to all and great moments at the bridge table!

#13 User is offline   mohitz 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-18, 03:15

You could try Jack. See www.jackbridge.com. You can choose from various convention cards that come with Jack. You can customize on some aspects like deciding which conventions to play. This is the best you will get out there AFAIK.

Good luck!
All your ace are belong to us!

#14 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2011-June-18, 04:45

Theere used to be a program called (I think) Bridge Partner, or something like that. It was an attempt to develop an AI that could learn your bidding system. Took forever though, and it learned only by watching your bidding, so if you screwed up, it learned the wrong thing. Not sure if it's still on the market.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2011-June-18, 05:09

Oxford Bridge, Blue Chip Bridge, Bridge Buff and Micro Bridge all allow you to define your own conventions. You might have a look at those.

Jack has some options to control hand evaluation and GIB uses 6421 (or something like that) in slam auctions. And all serious bridge playing programs use simulations rather than bean-counting for many bidding decisions. But as far as I know, none of them allow you to define your own point counting used for opening bids. Sorry.

If you were interested in simulations rather than playing then it would be easy.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-22, 03:13

I think Jojopara means he's looking for a bridge program (one he can practise with or play against) that plays his system exactly. Jack and other programs allow you to choose some conventions and agreements, but you can't add new stuff to the database. If I want to play a system I've created from scratch, I need something else.

I remember there was a program to practice relay systems, but obviously you can enter just any system you want. I can't remember the name of the program (I'll have to look it up when I'm home), but it was written in Java. It was bidding only though, so I don't think that's what you're looking for...
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#17 User is offline   losercover 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-22, 11:53

Hand evaluation is an art or a very complex system. I started playing loser count for suit contracts to simplify things. I had to modify that for texture J 10 9 in combination with an A K Q. The original point system is inaccurate. Even tweaking it doesn't do a good enough job. I imagine a top player looks at the hand and gets a feel for its value. Opening no trump bids don't always conform to 15-17. People open on 14 with a good 5 card suit. Where your points are make a hand better or worse depending if you are playing in a suit vs NT contract.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users