Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-June-19, 04:48

4NT, this is ostensibly 6+di and 4cl.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   Onedown 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-19, 05:43

Did someone hold a gun to your head to bid 3d in the first place? Pass and lead the K of spades...

#4 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-19, 06:19

View PostOnedown, on 2011-June-19, 05:43, said:

Did someone hold a gun to your head to bid 3d in the first place? Pass and lead the K of spades...

1) 3 overcall seems obvious. Singleton heart, w/r, 6 card suit to the AK and an opening hand, passing 2 strikes me as bizarre, what is this about a gun to our head?

I would never pass partner's takeout double with this hand, pass deserves to score -990.

If I accidentally pulled out the pass card without noticing and found myself on lead to 4X I would lead a top diamond instead of the K.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#5 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-June-19, 07:07

View Post655321, on 2011-June-19, 06:19, said:

1) 3 overcall seems obvious. Singleton heart, w/r, 6 card suit to the AK and an opening hand, passing 2 strikes me as bizarre, what is this about a gun to our head?

I would never pass partner's takeout double with this hand, pass deserves to score -990.

If I accidentally pulled out the pass card without noticing and found myself on lead to 4X I would lead a top diamond instead of the K.

Why is this a t/o double? Opponents often jump to 4 after 2 with only two hearts. t/o to what? We already announced that our suit is diamonds.

#6 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-19, 07:43

View Postjogs, on 2011-June-19, 07:07, said:

Why is this a t/o double? Opponents often jump to 4 after 2 with only two hearts. t/o to what? We already announced that our suit is diamonds.

This discussion was the reason I posted this hand (and the spectacular outcome, which I'll post later!)

In spite of playing together about once a month for a few years, I don't think we've really hammered out the details of these doubles. Our cards says "Level to which negative doubles apply: 4D (higher doubles show cards)".
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#7 User is online   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-19, 08:11

I'm bidding but would take my time deciding between 4NT, 5 and 5. I'll probably plump for 4NT but slightly concerned that partner will play me for a better hand. The advantage of 5 is that partner will know that it is not strong (not 4NT originally) so doing it with 6-4 is not completely stupid.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#8 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2011-June-19, 09:35

I'd go with 4NT, too.

But I don't quite understand why leading the K is bad; partner should have values in spades, a ruff is not neccessarily ruled out though less likely probably. Neither do I understand why is Pass not an option (after 3 and here after partner's double); I think there are pairs who overcall really strong in direct position so their reopenings are...more daring.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#9 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-June-19, 10:00

4N. Agree with 655321's post, double is clearly takeout here.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#10 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-June-19, 10:02

View Postjogs, on 2011-June-19, 07:07, said:

This is like saying that since some people overcall bad five card suits, the auction 1 (2) X should be penalty, not negative, since opener already announced his suit was hearts.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#11 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-June-19, 11:11

I will bid an uncomfortable 4N recognizing that pass could work out spectacularly well.

Totally obvious 3 overcall. LOL @ anything else in the A/E.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#12 User is offline   OleBerg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2011-June-19, 13:34

655321 is always right.

http://www.facebook....21/456549285514

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.

Gnasher

#13 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-19, 13:54

View PostOleBerg, on 2011-June-19, 13:34, said:

Pretty much always right, but did he answer the question? Maybe he was about to say must bid but it depends on agreements.

#14 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-20, 01:18

Well the full hand and auction were:

I suppose in retrospect I was guilty of making a "Queen of Hearts" double - hoping it would mean what I wanted it to mean on this hand. I thought I was asking partner to pass unless his hand was quite unusual, whereas he thought I was asking him to bid.

North must have thought all his Christmases had come at once - how often do you have a trump stack of AKQTxx to double a five-level contract?!

We had a great group of team-mates who were amused rather than annoyed when we scored up with a -1700, and we still managed to win both the match and the whole event.

I'm not sure that I would have found the winning action in any case, since I would have been tempted to bid 4 if I thought the alternative was to pass. It does seem a shame that we aren't able to take the +500 that's there.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#15 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-June-20, 02:24

Dbl is take out (pard having like 4234 or thereabouts), but I'd pass here because I'm far from sure I make 5m.

#16 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-June-20, 06:53

The only thing that surprised me in this thread was the post by Paulg. 4NT shouldn't be any stronger than 5C or 5D, you need the bid to sensibly investigate the best strain.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#17 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-20, 07:02

I disagree with those who insist on calling the X of 4 a TOX but then I distinguish between TOX and DSIP. With TOX I expect partner to takeout unless he can find a good reason not to do so. With a DSIP I expect him to take what IHO is the most intelligent action so the X primarily shows cards.
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#18 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-June-22, 05:47

Dbl as takeout isn't as absurd as some think. Sometimes you overcall when you can't Dbl 2. It's definitely possible that overcaller has 4s (4=2=6=1 for example), so why would you not want to find a cheap sacrifice over 4?

Most important lesson out of this is to make good agreements about Doubles. This is one area which I used to underestimate. A simple Dbl can be an easy way to victory, but it can also ruin one's game if not applied correctly or if there's a misunderstanding. It's better to have a bad agreement than no agreement at all.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-22, 11:30

View PostFree, on 2011-June-22, 05:47, said:

Dbl as takeout isn't as absurd as some think. Sometimes you overcall when you can't Dbl 2. It's definitely possible that overcaller has 4s (4=2=6=1 for example), so why would you not want to find a cheap sacrifice over 4?

Most important lesson out of this is to make good agreements about Doubles. This is one area which I used to underestimate. A simple Dbl can be an easy way to victory, but it can also ruin one's game if not applied correctly or if there's a misunderstanding. It's better to have a bad agreement than no agreement at all.

Free, u started to talk like Lurpoa lately :P (just a joke m8 ;) )
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#20 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-June-22, 13:42

View Postmtvesuvius, on 2011-June-19, 10:02, said:

This is like saying that since some people overcall bad five card suits, the auction 1 (2) X should be penalty, not negative, since opener already announced his suit was hearts.

You see no difference in asking pard to bid another suit on the two level and asking pard to bid another suit on the five level?

View Postwhereagles, on 2011-June-20, 02:24, said:

Dbl is take out (pard having like 4234 or thereabouts), but I'd pass here because I'm far from sure I make 5m.

Holding that pattern(4234), why would you think there are 21 tricks on this board? That's why the pass is clear-cut.
The double should be cards, not penalty or t/o.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users