• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-06, 04:16

View Postfrank0, on 2011-July-06, 03:18, said:

I sit South, this is the bidding at my table

7X-2

7 make, 18IMP to opp

Any comment?

As Rex will attest, I hate opening 2 on two suited hands where the longer suit is a minor. However, this hand is certainly too strong to open 1 [assuming you aren't playing precision or strong club something.] You have a 2-3 loser hand, partner can never know how strong you are even after all your cue bids later. Knowing me, I would bid 7 over 1 LOL But opps also deserve credit for being more obstructive at your table.

#3 User is offline   mfa1010 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-July-06, 04:25

Essentially north wants to be in grand opposite K. So he should bid exclusion blackwood 5 after 3. If you don't play exclusion yet I suggest you do, because it is very powerful when the right hands come up.

Without exclusion it is tough. North could try 5NT RKC if that is available (it is RKC because spades are agreed and 4NT is bypassed). North could then gamble that south's key card is K.

I think south has too much to X 7. He has already X'ed 5 and signed off in 6. If partner, who surely has 1st round control in for his 6 bid, is bidding 7 after a forcing pass, we should be fine. But it is tough.
Michael Askgaard

#4 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-July-06, 04:27

North should bid grand over 7d's for sure.

His hand is huge. Opposite Kxxx spades you would rate to make grand virtually all the time. Even Jc and Jxxx spades is enough for an above average grand given the bidding.

(Very unlikely to sac in 7 diamonds with the k of spades imo.)
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#5 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-06, 04:39

Does 6D show a first round heart control? The only way I can understand souths bidding is if he thought north denied a first round heart control. It seems reasonable to me to assume north denied a first round heart control though... can't he have AQTxx KQ --- AKQxxx? Even so, south can probably pass 7D unless he is 100 % that north denied the HA, he surely would bid 6H with the HA over 6D?

If there was no misunderstanding about the HA issue then south simply evaluated poorly, KJxxx is huge opposite a partner who forced to slam in spades. 3 small clubs is not good, 7 might be on a gamble, but tbh I think south is closer to 7S over 6D than 6S, and is likely just worth 6H. I think 6S is bad, and not passing 7D is very bad in that case.

All that said, I would have assumed 6D denied the HA...why not bid 5H then go from there?

And +1 to exclusion if you play it obv, perfect hand for it

#6 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-06, 04:42

I partially blame your East player for giving NS a free ride.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#7 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-July-06, 07:06

Why didn't North bid 5 exclusion BW instead of 4? Any losing will be discarded on his for sure, so A is useless. He only needs K, and 5 will give him that information.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#8 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-July-06, 07:18

Surely people play either exclusion or 5NT GSF?
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users