Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Some 1C - 1M Questions

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-August-01, 13:26

I've been reviewing and updating a basic Precision system that my main partnership has played for a few months in lieu for some upcoming tournaments, and realized that we have no definition for 1-1M; 2NT. I'm thinking to use it for some GF raise (or setting 2M+1 and making 1-1;2NT as setting Spades as trump). What are your uses for that sequence?

We've also tentatively agreed to throw away TAB and CAB, and instead using 1-1M; 2M as setting trump and asking for shortness. I'm also thinking that this might be better if responder can use 2M + 1 to ask opener instead of showing. Another alternative would be that 2M+1 is neutral (either non-min bal. or has shortness), all bids 2M+2 through 3M to show a second suit, and 3NT to show a min balanced hand. Again, what do other people use?

Thanks for all constructive responses.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-August-01, 14:36

View Postchasetb, on 2011-August-01, 13:26, said:

We've also tentatively agreed to throw away TAB and CAB, and instead using 1-1M; 2M as setting trump and asking for shortness. I'm also thinking that this might be better if responder can use 2M + 1 to ask opener instead of showing. Another alternative would be that 2M+1 is neutral (either non-min bal. or has shortness), all bids 2M+2 through 3M to show a second suit, and 3NT to show a min balanced hand. Again, what do other people use?

I like the style of exchanging distributional information up through 3M and then, if you play serious/frivolous 3NT or 3M+1, at that point sorting out some strength info and starting cuebidding.

Either method you have is fine, though a cooperative one like 2M+1 asks (with no shortness usually) is probably better, as balanced & semi-balanced hands will want to hear where partner's shortness is to evaluate their honors. After that, you again have space to use the lowest bid, 2M+2, to show no shortness, and with two (semi-)balanced hands you can switch to showing side suits/values with the remaining space.

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-August-02, 05:18

You can also use 1-1M-2NT for a 4441 with singleton in partner's Major. Very descriptive (except strength) and lots of bidding space for responder.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users