Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB Missed slam

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-August-29, 00:36

I'm guessing the methods we play were probably at fault. Our partnership style is "by the book" preempts, so W knows E certainly doesn't have four spades, a side void or two aces (then again, holding three aces also helps with this inference). We don't preempt with complete trash suits, either.
Do you get to 6 here? Do you have any special methods to help? One thing we're considering is 4 here as special KC ask, where the step responses are more oriented towards weak hands (so it's something like 0 without Q, 0 with Q, 1 without, 1 with, etc). On this hand, any KC asking method shows E has either the club ace or the heart king. Is it enough to raise to 6 on? W stated he was worried if I'm 7-2-2-2 with no outside strength, we're down one. Is there a way to find such things out?

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 00:46

The slam is only on because partner has 3 clubs, otherwise he needs K or Q. Preemption works on the opponents because it removes space, sometimes it messes up partner. The only way you're going to bid this is if you have the agreement that 5 is a splinter (with a good hand with clubs you bid 4 then 5), but not many people do.

#3 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 00:47

Not sure how E can use the information that W is short in clubs. Could you post a bidding sequence?

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-August-29, 01:01

View PostAntrax, on 2011-August-29, 00:47, said:

Not sure how E can use the information that W is short in clubs. Could you post a bidding sequence?

3-5-6

Partner will only splinter (rather than try for slam a different way) on this sort of hand where he's short of cover cards and needs to ruff clubs to get to 12, holding 3 clubs is gold dust here.

#5 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-August-29, 01:55

View PostAntrax, on 2011-August-29, 00:36, said:

Do you get to 6 here? Do you have any special methods to help? One thing we're considering is 4 here as special KC ask, where the step responses are more oriented towards weak hands (so it's something like 0 without Q, 0 with Q, 1 without, 1 with, etc). On this hand, any KC asking method shows E has either the club ace or the heart king. Is it enough to raise to 6 on? W stated he was worried if I'm 7-2-2-2 with no outside strength, we're down one.

Yes, I play 4 is preempt keycard with some partners. For us the steps are 0, 1 w/o Q, 1 w/ Q, 2 w/o Q, and 2 w/ Q (and in theory it continues with 3 etc.). So one this hand you hear 3-4-4 and you could then guess 6 on the theory that without the heart A or Q partner needs something more then a worthless 7222, and to make you just need diamond Q, or spade K, or club AK, or 3 clubs, or some finesse or squeeze chance is likely enough to be a good gamble.

#6 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2011-August-29, 02:36

Hi,

you have no real wastage, and you need both singletons
and the doubleton spade.

So I would not worry to much about missing this one.

I guess, if you play shortage asks after the preempt
opening, you may have a chance to find out, that the
slam is on.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#7 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2011-August-29, 04:56

I think responder should just bite the bullet. He can't find out if partner has the diamond queen, and whether he has 2 or 3 clubs. I'd say slam is likely a favorite, but on a bad day it may be hopeless. Such is life. Missing a good slam is about as bad as getting to a bad slam.

1 keycard and no queen is good news. The queen would be wasted, and partner not having the queen makes it more likely that he will have something else that's useful.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users