BBO Discussion Forums: Re-interpretation of Law 25A - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Re-interpretation of Law 25A was: Explained alert alerts North that her bid was "unintended

#1 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-September-03, 14:45

In a different topic, I suggested Law 25A should be interpreted so that a "pause for thought" starts when the call is made. This was contested, and I thought it had gone too off topic to continue there.

View Postpran, on 2011-September-03, 13:41, said:

Law 25A begins: Until his partner makes a call, a player may substitute his intended call for an unintended call but only if he does so, or attempts to do so, without pause for thought

It would be interesting to know how this (enhanced by me) condition can ever apply if "pause for thought" is to be considered beginning when the unintended call was made rather than when the player became aware of his mistake.

So, delete "Until his partner makes a call", if it unnecessary.

But I will not concede that any proposed re-interpretation of any law is wrong, because it would mean the original law could have been better phrased. Many of us believe many of the laws could well be better phrased, even with their current interpretaions.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#2 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-03, 17:29

View PostRMB1, on 2011-September-03, 14:45, said:

In a different topic, I suggested Law 25A should be interpreted so that a "pause for thought" starts when the call is made. This was contested, and I thought it had gone too off topic to continue there.

So, delete "Until his partner makes a call", if it unnecessary.

Under the current interpretation, we need both parts. Say it goes 1 - (2) - ?. The next person asks about the 2 and is told Michaels. Now the current interpretation is that the pause for thought begins when the person realises he has misbid. He substitutes his intended 1, and the auction continues! If, however, partner has bid, that has to be tough luck.

So, the law should be:
Until his partner makes a call, a player may substitute his intended call for an inadvertent call, howsoever he should discover it, but only if he does so, or attempts to do so, without pause for thought after he discovers his error.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-03, 18:29

View Postlamford, on 2011-September-03, 17:29, said:

So, the law should be:
Until his partner makes a call, a player may substitute his intended call for an inadvertent call, howsoever he should discover it, but only if he does so, or attempts to do so, without pause for thought after he discovers his error.

Maybe it should say that, but I thought that is how it was applied by most TD's anyway.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   peachy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-03, 22:25

View Postlamford, on 2011-September-03, 17:29, said:

Under the current interpretation, we need both parts. Say it goes 1 - (2) - ?. The next person asks about the 2 and is told Michaels. Now the current interpretation is that the pause for thought begins when the person realises he has misbid. He substitutes his intended 1, and the auction continues! If, however, partner has bid, that has to be tough luck.

So, the law should be:

I see no reason to change "unintended" into "inadvertent", even if some other changes to the wording were to determined necessary. "Intended" and "unintended" have a clear meaning, IMO.

#5 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2011-September-04, 05:08

View Postpeachy, on 2011-September-03, 22:25, said:

I see no reason to change "unintended" into "inadvertent", even if some other changes to the wording were to determined necessary. "Intended" and "unintended" have a clear meaning, IMO.

Sorry that change was unintended. I looked back to see what the old (1997) Laws said, and copied that wording; that had:

"Until his partner makes a call, a player may substitute his intended call for an inadvertent call but only if he does so, or attempts to do so, without pause for thought."

I agree that unintended is better than inadvertent, although the meaning is similar.

#6 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-September-06, 08:14

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-September-03, 18:29, said:

Maybe it should say that, but I thought that is how it was applied by most TD's anyway.

I do not think so. For a start it is part of any training course. Secondly, many TDs read various things and get to hear of them. For example, it is not just readers of this forum, BLML, RGB and so on, who understand this, but also people in clubs whose friends/colleagues/enemies/annoyances have read them. Besides forums, both the EBU and ACBL - and probably many other jurisdictions - put simple rulings stuff in their magazines.

While the rare stuff may not permeate very far, ordinary rulings based on agreed international interpretations are quite likely to be well known.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#7 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2011-September-06, 09:21

View Postbluejak, on 2011-September-06, 08:14, said:

I do not think so. For a start it is part of any training course. Secondly, many TDs read various things and get to hear of them. For example, it is not just readers of this forum, BLML, RGB and so on, who understand this, but also people in clubs whose friends/colleagues/enemies/annoyances have read them. Besides forums, both the EBU and ACBL - and probably many other jurisdictions - put simple rulings stuff in their magazines.

While the rare stuff may not permeate very far, ordinary rulings based on agreed international interpretations are quite likely to be well known.

Would you please care to elaborate?

Aquahombre referred to a suggested modification of Law 25A, and I agree with him that the suggestion is nothing but a precise description on how we already are trained to interprete and use Law 25A.

So I feel puzzled about in what way you "don't think so"?

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 10:27

View Postaguahombre, on 2011-September-03, 18:29, said:

I do not think so.

In what way does standard TD practice differ from that?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-September-06, 11:48

View Postgordontd, on 2011-September-06, 10:27, said:

In what way does standard TD practice differ from that?

Wondering this myself.

Robin, do you really feel that a "pause for thought" should (presumably in a new version of the Laws) be deemed to have elapsed even if a player does not notice that he has pulled the wrong card? Why? And if so, how long should this "pause" be permitted to last?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2011-September-06, 12:53

View PostVampyr, on 2011-September-06, 11:48, said:

Robin, do you really feel that a "pause for thought" should (presumably in a new version of the Laws) be deemed to have elapsed even if a player does not notice that he has pulled the wrong card? Why? And if so, how long should this "pause" be permitted to last?

I think the laws (that is, the current interpretation) try too hard to allow recovery from mistakes, in a way that players find inconsistent, and TDs operate inconsistently.

I think that "pause for thought", or the lack of, should start when the call is made (is released on the table). This would be the same as for spoken bidding: the only chance to realise what you had said (and to change it) was as you had said it. It would be a mistake to make a call without looking at what call you had actually put on the table, and if you did not look at the time the call was made then the mistaken call would be irrevocable. I think such an approach would be much more satisfactory and more uniformly applied.

So here is a proposed rewording of Law 25.

A.
1. A player may change his intended call for an unintended call but only if he does so, or attempts to do so, without pause for thought from the point the call was made. The second (intended) call stands and is subject to the appropriate Law.

Except:
a. No change of call may be made when his partner has made a subsequent call.
b. If the auction ends before it reaches the player’s partner no change may occur after the end of the auction period (see Law 22).

2. If a change is allowed the LHO may withdraw any call he made over the first call. Information from the withdrawn call is authorized only to his side. There is no further rectification.

B.
A change of call not permitted by A is treated as a call out of rotation, see Laws 28-32.

The exceptions remain for definiteness: it is not expected that they could apply because there would invariably have been time for a "pause for thought" to have elapsed.

It would be necessary to delete "if the offender has not previously called" and the footnote, from Law 31B.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#11 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-September-06, 14:50

The types of errors people make, and how they notice them, are very different. It's very rare that one makes a slip of the tongue and doesn't notice it immediate, e.g. "1 club - oops, I mean 1 diamond"; you can't help hearing what you're saying. But it's not uncommon to put bidding cards on the table without looking at them carefully; if your fingers slipped or cards stuck together, you might not notice it immediately.

But maybe we SHOULD pay more attention, and that's what your change would require. Perhaps the leniency was originally a reaction to the novelty of bidding boxes; we didn't want to penalize players for mechanical difficulties with a relatively unfamiliar mode of bidding (there was presumably a significant delay between them becoming common in tournaments versus clubs). But now they're common everywhere, so there's little excuse for players not knowing how to use them properly, and we should expect better care.

#12 User is offline   AlexJonson 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-September-06, 14:52

If I have understood RMB1, then his is a version of Law 25 I would agree with.

It should be my responsibility (IMO), barring immediate mechanical error correction, to look at the card I take/will take from the bidding box and make sure it is correct.

#13 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-06, 16:32

I do not think so. For a start it is part of any training course.

What is said about Law 25A situations in these training courses?

#14 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2011-September-06, 16:33

View Postbarmar, on 2011-September-06, 14:50, said:

It's very rare that one makes a slip of the tongue and doesn't notice it immediate, e.g. "1 club - oops, I mean 1 diamond"

You say that and yet, as an Englishman living in Germany, I have problems sometimes saying Coeur (Hearts) instead of Karo (diamonds) or vice versa. Luckily this is less of a problem with bidding boxes and, so far, each time it has happened dummy has had no cards remaining in the incorrectly named suit!

On the subject at hand, I think I agree with RMB that this would be a good change and it could even be argued that not looking at the bidding card that one puts on the table as one does it is not paying sufficient attention to the game.
(-: Zel :-)

#15 User is offline   bluejak 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, Cats, Railways, Transport timetables

Posted 2011-September-06, 16:35

Maybe I misunderstood aqua.

:ph34r:

As to the whole approach I think that once a call is made or a play designated it should not be changeable. But it would be a major change in thinking. What happens now is that because so many changes are allowed players expect to change everything. They play the A, change their mind, and are shocked you do not allow the change.
David Stevenson

Merseyside England UK
EBL TD
Currently at home
Visiting IBLF from time to time
<webjak666@gmail.com>

#16 User is offline   iviehoff 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 09:07

View PostRMB1, on 2011-September-06, 12:53, said:

In that wording, if you really mean that the correction has to occur more or less immediately after the release of the call, then the "except" part of clause 1 is unnecessary and misleading. These exceptions can't occur (normally) without it already being too late (and if you are only talking about an immediate call out of turn by partner, then you ought to say so). So even to mention them as possible exceptions I think would be misleading. Clause 2 you do need, just, because a permissible correction and LHO's call may occur more or less simultaneously.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2011-September-07, 15:35

View Postiviehoff, on 2011-September-07, 09:07, said:

In that wording, if you really mean that the correction has to occur more or less immediately after the release of the call, then the "except" part of clause 1 is unnecessary and misleading. These exceptions can't occur (normally) without it already being too late

Didn't he acknowledge that when he wrote:

The exceptions remain for definiteness: it is not expected that they could apply because there would invariably have been time for a "pause for thought" to have elapsed.

Perhaps instead of saying "except", it should say "in particular", since these clauses reinforce the original statement, they aren't exceptions to it.

#18 User is offline   jallerton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-September-07, 16:27

I think the laws (that is, the current interpretation) try too hard to allow recovery from mistakes, in a way that players find inconsistent, and TDs operate inconsistently.

I think that "pause for thought", or the lack of, should start when the call is made (is released on the table). This would be the same as for spoken bidding: the only chance to realise what you had said (and to change it) was as you had said it. It would be a mistake to make a call without looking at what call you had actually put on the table, and if you did not look at the time the call was made then the mistaken call would be irrevocable. I think such an approach would be much more satisfactory and more uniformly applied.

A.
1. A player may change his intended call for an unintended call but only if he does so, or attempts to do so, without pause for thought from the point the call was made. The second (intended) call stands and is subject to the appropriate Law.

Except:
a. No change of call may be made when his partner has made a subsequent call.
b. If the auction ends before it reaches the player’s partner no change may occur after the end of the auction period (see Law 22).

2. If a change is allowed the LHO may withdraw any call he made over the first call. Information from the withdrawn call is authorized only to his side. There is no further rectification.

B.
A change of call not permitted by A is treated as a call out of rotation, see Laws 28-32.

It would be necessary to delete "if the offender has not previously called" and the footnote, from Law 31B.

As you say, it is not expected that the exceptions could apply, so perhaps the "Except:" after subsection 1 could be replaced with "Note:"

Alternatively, you could achieve much the same effect by sticking with the current law 25A, and asking the WBFLC to issue a revised interpretation saying that "without pause for thought" should be taken to mean "without pause for thought".

#19 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2011-September-07, 16:38

I think the laws (that is, the current interpretation) try too hard to allow recovery from mistakes,

I agree with you, but somehow not in this particular instance. Maybe this seems simpler than other situations and doesn't appear to have a downside.

I would be happy with your version, though, if it came in a package with improved and much more stringent laws relating to insufficient bids and revokes.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#20 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2011-September-07, 17:22

I think the Laws are inconsistent; and too complicated. I would be draconian. If partner could have seen the bid as it exits the bidding box, it should stand, a bit like a played card. Insufficient bids can be changed but partner is silenced throughout (I recall a dBurn proposal that partner would not be silenced but the IB would just be UI; too complicated, but good in theory). The Lawmakers are fixated with trying to get a normal result, and they have produced laws that are difficult to apply.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users