Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clubs

#1 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-04, 00:06

Scoring is IMPs. You're playing support doubles but no other relevant agreements.

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2011-October-04, 01:05

3 should be enough no?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is online   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2011-October-04, 03:20

Does the pass say anything about values ? What's the style of the club and no trump range ? (particularly what do you open if 3244, and is there any shape you can open 1 and have only 3 alongside 2 hearts, some people open 4243 1) What do other bids mean over 1 ?

This auction is very different to a weak no trump pair than a strong no trump pair, for us for example partner is guaranteed to hold 5+ clubs (and an unbalanced hand if weak) or a 15-19 count with 4, (we open 1 on a 4144) so I might well be bidding much more strongly (although I'd actually have started with 2 inverted, F3, not denying 4M which we still use over the double).

If partner can hold a weak no trump, you may need to be a lot more cautious although AKxx clubs and Ax hearts is plenty for 5. I think I'd bid 4 assuming partner guarantees 4 with the pass over 1 and this is natural invitational rather than minorwood. The chances of 3N being the right spot are minimal but not zero (10xxx, xx, KQJ, AKxx maybe), so I'd like partner to evaluate his hand on the basis that heart and club cards are good, minor honours in the pointies aren't.

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-October-04, 06:34

2S + clubs afterwards. Seems simple.

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-04, 07:18

3c no problem yet.

4h, 5+c, unbal, and around 12-13 or so.

#6 User is offline   pooltuna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-04, 08:07

torn between 2, 4, & 5. probably choose in that order as 2 is the most flexible call
"Tell me of your home world, Usul"
the Freman, Chani from the move "Dune"

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-October-04, 09:32

Partner seems likely to hold 3=2=3=5, although I suppose 3=1=4=5, 4=1=3=5 or 4=2=3=4 are possible. xxx Qx Axx AKxxx, Qxx xx Axx, AKxxx and xxx Ax KQx Axxxx are all unremarkable hands, yet I want to be in game on all of them.

I think this hand is just too good for 3. Give the inferences, I might be bidding 3 with four.

What is 3? If its a club splinter, this looks perfect. If its undiscussed, then I will just bid 2 and hope we can work out the pointed suits before 3N.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2011-October-04, 12:02

2 for me. Things look quite promising on this bidding.

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-October-04, 12:25

"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-04, 15:37

3 as a splinter seems a little far fetched. what about the 5-5 hands people normally have for 3D in 2 way checkback auctions?

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-October-04, 15:53

To me, 3 would be natural. How else do we show an invitational 2 suited hand? 2 would be merely competitive and 2 followed, if possible, by 3 sure sounds forcing to me.

I agree with Phil's reasoning on shape for partner unless partner is a practitioner of the 1 opening on 4=4 minors. I assume that opener doesn't bid like that or we'd have been so informed.

So I am going to commit to game....and I am avoiding notrump...even if partner surprises me with 2N over 2, there is just too much risk of a diamond lead. So 2 it is....then the question becomes whether the hand is good enough to splinter over 3 (I couldn't.....4 would be keycard for me)...I wouldn't....I'd set trump via a forcing 4 and see what happened thereafter.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2011-October-04, 16:38

I think partner is far more likely to be 4234 than 3235. When we have an 11-card fit the opponents don't often subside at the one-level. I don't think it matters much, though - we're not going to need three ruffs in dummy.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#13 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-October-04, 20:15

View Postmikeh, on 2011-October-04, 15:53, said:

To me, 3 would be natural. How else do we show an invitational 2 suited hand? 2 would be merely competitive and 2 followed, if possible, by 3 sure sounds forcing to me.

Since you asked, I would use:

a balancing double as one additional means of distinguishing ranges of non-forcing options, as well as
bump raises by Opener to allow Responder to distinguish other ranges of non-forcing options
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#14 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-04, 21:35

I would have bid 2nt, limit in instead of 1 and hope to recover that strain later if we belong there (I doubt it).

I'm probably worth 4 or a 3nt probe at my next turn depending on what happens next.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#15 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-04, 21:53

I agree I think this is alimit hand not a gf hand unless pard opens pretty sound.

I mean pard can have a pretty poor hand at this point, still.

If pard has a great 13 or unbal 14 she knows to bid game

#16 User is offline   nigel_k 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-05, 15:08

The hand opposite was a rather perfect Qxx Ax Axxx Kxxx (Sorry I forgot people on this forum open 1 with that shape). K and Q were both onside so there are 12 tricks in clubs.

My view of the hand was that you probably want to play 3NT when partner has slow stuff in diamonds and invite game in clubs otherwise. I have had these hands before and still don't know the answer. Starting with 2 makes it hard to pass partner's NT bid with any confidence and also means that further club bids will be forcing.

I just bid 4 and partner bid 5 which was ok but I wonder if there is a better way.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users