Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1N issues part 2

#1 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2011-October-01, 16:00

Q1: After a normal splinter in a suit, we play that XX shows a first round control. Since we don't have a suit, is XX here typically to play? Also, what is pass?

Q2: Here we have a pretty easy 4C call. What to do with 3-3 or 4-4 in the minors and a control rich hand that wants to cooperate? that doesn't want to cooperate?
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-October-01, 17:03

Good topic for discussion, but my first thought is that this seems complicated for B/I, but then my second thought is that the premise is complicated for B/I, so whatever.

As a general feel, redouble sounds encouraging, whereas pass suggests strain uncertainty. Assuming that you agree, what would all of this mean?

Pass as strain uncertainty seems contextually to suggest thinking about a Moysian. It would suggest bidding 4H if partner has "Moysian tolerance," typically meaning decent hearts and primes external.

Redouble as slammish is sort of "catchall," but it probably invites the obvious -- name the longer minor. You just got the chance for an unwind that is terribly difficult otherwise. Seize it! With 1345, Responder bids 4, with 1354 4, and maybe even 3NT is 0355?
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#3 User is offline   Flem72 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-October-01, 20:12

View Postwyman, on 2011-October-01, 16:00, said:

Q1: After a normal splinter in a suit, we play that XX shows a first round control. Since we don't have a suit, is XX here typically to play? Also, what is pass?

Q2: Here we have a pretty easy 4C call. What to do with 3-3 or 4-4 in the minors and a control rich hand that wants to cooperate? that doesn't want to cooperate?

As I like these splinters in an uncontested auction, O's 4S would show a supermax hand: controls and a 4-card fit for one minor, although usually something like xxx in the spl suit. 4m would be a min with no intrest in 3N or 4H. But we don't play the 3S call as SI neccesarily; just descriptive, 8-9+ working HCP. If this 3S is SI straight up (SI on HCP or opposite the right hand? opposite what kind of hand? my "xxx supermax"?) then you have to make a slam call. But the problem is what to do over W's 5S? Maybe 6C now? Maybe 4S now, 6C after partner passes 5S? Maybe one is weaker, one stronger, but kind of depends on the definition of "slammish"?

Glad you brought it up, actually....

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA

#4 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-03, 08:25

I like your approach but disagree with your conclusions Ken. If you want one hand type to be searching for strain then it should surely be XX as there is less to unwind here. Call it a negative XX if you like since it shows interest in hearts. Then Pass asks about Responder's actual shape and they have 2 ways of showing longer clubs (XX and 4C) and 2 ways of showing diamonds (3NT and 4D). Now we have not only unwound Responder's exact shape but also ascertained their slam interest.
(-: Zel :-)

#5 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-October-03, 11:20

View PostZelandakh, on 2011-October-03, 08:25, said:

I like your approach but disagree with your conclusions Ken. If you want one hand type to be searching for strain then it should surely be XX as there is less to unwind here. Call it a negative XX if you like since it shows interest in hearts. Then Pass asks about Responder's actual shape and they have 2 ways of showing longer clubs (XX and 4C) and 2 ways of showing diamonds (3NT and 4D). Now we have not only unwound Responder's exact shape but also ascertained their slam interest.

Good points. That said, the pass as showing heart interest allows Responder to redouble to show heart agreement, which allows seeking the Moysian slam better and/or to establish 4 as an out if the minor slam probe is not accepted.

E.g.,

1NT-P-3-X
P!-P-?

XX = hearts agreed, something promising. If Opener next bids 3NT, this seeks a heartg slam. If Opener bids 4 or 4, there are mild minor-suit slam probes, with 4 agreed as an out.
4 = heart agreed, but NO slam interest -- dead minimum.

Redouble as a minor slam probe still allows the minors to be unwound:

4/4 = longer minor, acceptance values
3NT = minimum, minor not resolved (4 demands Kickback RKCB in the longer minor anyway)
4 = 0355 6KCB
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users