BBO Discussion Forums: Beginners Guide to Changing Primary Signal - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Beginners Guide to Changing Primary Signal when it is right not to use the normal "primary" signal

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-October-02, 18:00

In the past, this forum has had threads like "Beginners Guide to signaling and Giving Count", "Beginner's guide to IMPs/Matchpoints" and other's like suit combinations, balancing, etc. i am starting this thread as to open discuss when, at trick one, you or your partner leads a card and third hand does not need to play a card to try to win the trick, but plays a "spot card." What information is convey to your partner with the choice of a small card that you play? That is, what signal do you intend to send to your partner, and provide some guidance as to when you would not use your "normal signal".

Normally, we will have an agreement, we signal "count" or "attitude" or for a few people perhaps "suit preference" on partner's opening lead. But if you always signal just one of these three things, then you are not defending optimally. Flexibility to change the meaning of a "signal" from time to time is necessary to defend well. When you fill out an ACBL convention card, there is a place where you mark your primary signal as either attitude, count, or suit preference. For this thread, we will assume everyone either plays their "primary signal" as attitude or count. i hope this thread will eventually grow into many examples where you can learn what conditions lead to a situation where "flexibility" to change the meaning of your signal will be clear to both partners.

I think most beginners/intermediates us "attitude" as the primary signal. It is essential to establish sound agreements with you partner on situations where the primary choice (attitude) is not appropriate so you will switch and send either count or suit preference (and in rare cases, even count in different suit can come into play). So the first question is when is attitude not appropriate? The simple answer is when you can't like a suit or when you already requested the lead of the suit (say by a lead directing double), or when some other signal becomes blindly clear (as in the side suit signal we will talk about much later).

I will start with two hands have already posted in these forums. Example 1 is from the advanced forum

Posted Image
You (west) start with the Diamond Ace and your partner plays the six. Is there any reason you can see for your partner to give you a signal other than your "primary signal" on this hand? I think not. If your primary signal is "count" then your partner card is giving you his count in diamonds. IF it your primary signal is attitude, then he is giving you attitude. (Of course, partner might have singleton, or Q6 doubleton where his first card is forced).

Some people play the lead of the KING request count, even when playing primary signal as attitude. I am not sure of the usefulness of this idea, but when partner can see the queen (either in dummy or his hand) your intent is clear.

The next hand is also from these forums. You (west) lead the heart JACK which when partner follows with a spot card you would be unsure if he is giving primary signal or something else. But when South can't win the trick and plays a low heart, things have changed -- but only if you are playing "attitude" as your primary signal.
Posted Image
As Frances Hinden said when this hand was first posted. "This is actually an interesting point at trick 1: when the jack of hearts holds the trick, we know partner wants to encourage (whether or not he has the AQ or just the Q) so partner's card at trick 1 should be count, not attitude. On this partner hand it doesn't help, because we can't tell the difference between 3 and 5, but it doesn't take much to change the hand slightly and we would be very interested in the heart count."

Of course, if you typically give count at trick one as your primary signal, your partner's play would still be count. In addition, partner might have AQ5 tripleton and will have to play the five regardless of your count signal to just to leave you on lead at trick two.

i hope others join me in posting hands similar to the ones above to help illustrate when the primary signal applies and when it doesn't, and also join in the discussion pointing out alternative views to signals in examples posted in this thread. To keep this thread loading quickly, i will use images like above rather than actual handviewer links. I may even edit post with handviewer diagrams others post in this thread, converting the hand to an image so this thread will load faster.
--Ben--

#2 User is offline   semeai 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Having eleven-syllable interests
    Counting modulo five

Posted 2011-October-02, 19:43

View Postinquiry, on 2011-October-02, 18:00, said:

As Frances Hinden said when this hand was first posted. "This is actually an interesting point at trick 1: when the jack of hearts holds the trick, we know partner wants to encourage (whether or not he has the AQ or just the Q) so partner's card at trick 1 should be count, not attitude. On this partner hand it doesn't help, because we can't tell the difference between 3 and 5, but it doesn't take much to change the hand slightly and we would be very interested in the heart count."

This all makes sense if partner has AQ, but I don't follow when partner just has the Q. Then partner would need to signal attitude in case declarer wins the Ace.*

In fact, this makes the situation when partner has AQ strange, since partner will know that we won't know whether partner's holding is AQ or Q. I suppose partner signals count, so that the two messages we can receive are, say, "Q or (AQ and even)" and "AQ and odd"?

* Need is too strong a word. Attitude won't always be helpful (compare Qxxx to Qxx) and count can be useful too (but won't distinguish xxx from Qxx), but we decided to play attitude, so that's what we're stuck with when it can still logically matter.

(I posted all this here since the quoted post is a month old. Also, this thread is precisely about this topic.)

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-03, 08:51

Surely the classic case of signal change is when partner leads the ace against a suit contract and dummy has a small singleton. In that case one is usually taught to change to suit preference, although you also need a third option sometimes which is essentially encouraging in order to force ruffs. Whether your primary (2-way) signal should really be s/p (with a middle card for encourage) or whether it should be attitude (with a middle card stressing a particular suit) is perhaps an interesting question though.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users