BBO Discussion Forums: Jacoby transfers in Main Bridge Club - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jacoby transfers in Main Bridge Club

#1 User is offline   JT23456 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-October-13, 09:35

I play frequently at 2 local bridge clubs - one uses mostly player dealt hands so no hand records and the other has a card dealing machine and you get hand records.

In the Main Bridge Club in BBO, it seems to me that I see fewer 1NT openings and few 2C Stayman bids and virtually no 2D 2H or 2S transfer bids.

Why is this? Also, there seems to be a lot of "intermediates" whose profile specifically states "No transfers". It means that on BBO, I end up playing a dumbed down game compared to the real clubs.

Anybody else notice this?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-13, 10:29

I haven't noticed that stayman and transfers are used less often in the main room than in clubs. I thought players generally use those conventions when appropriate. However, it could be that main room players overcall aggresively over 1NT so there are less opportunities to use stayman and transfers.

As for the "no transfers" thing I wouldn't worry about it. It is easy enough to bid without using transfers. A more critical issue is whether players who have "no transfers" on their profile tend to be bad bidders/players in general.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-October-13, 11:04

My experience is that almost everyone on BBO who self-rates advanced or above plays simple transfers by default. And Stayman certainly. Intermediates may be a different story.

I think that "no transfers" usually indicates an elderly player, some of whom haven't changed bidding methods in maybe 30+ years. If your local club has many of these, then it is not too surprising.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users