BBO Discussion Forums: Most hopeless / clueless comment? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Most hopeless / clueless comment? Post hand chit-chat

#161 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-18, 00:17

Pickup partner recently passed me in 2H after she opened 1nt. I was trying to transfer to spades, so it went 1nt by pd, p 2h me all pass. I didn't comment but pd says at the end "You should write transfers in your profile, I thought you don't play them".

#162 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2013-December-18, 07:42

View Postdiana_eva, on 2013-December-18, 00:17, said:

Pickup partner recently passed me in 2H after she opened 1nt. I was trying to transfer to spades, so it went 1nt by pd, p 2h me all pass. I didn't comment but pd says at the end "You should write transfers in your profile, I thought you don't play them".
Diana_Eva seems to be right that the default is now 2/1 with gadgets. In my old club the default was "Acol, no weakness takeouts" :)

#163 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 14:37

On Monday night, I was in a slightly pushy 4 contract. My hand and dummy had identical 4-3-2-4 distributions. I came down to an end position of x AK9 x opposite x Jxx x, needing 4 more tricks. So I exited with the losing and hoped for the best. The best happened (I got a ruff and discard!), so I made the game. At which point partner asked "Couldn't you have tried to discard your ?"

#164 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2013-December-18, 15:02

View PostEricK, on 2013-December-18, 14:37, said:

On Monday night, I was in a slightly pushy 4 contract. My hand and dummy had identical 4-3-2-4 distributions. I came down to an end position of x AK9 x opposite x Jxx x, needing 4 more tricks. So I exited with the losing and hoped for the best. The best happened (I got a ruff and discard!), so I made the game. At which point partner asked "Couldn't you have tried to discard your ?"

Well, what's your response? :)

This is close to what happened the other night. Playing in a team match, I opened the bidding 1 and the opponents conducted an auction that made it clear that my LHO had a very strong hand and my RHO had a very weak hand. The contract was 3. I led the singleton A and saw this dummy:

KQJTx Jxx ATxx A

Not wanting to break a red suit, I exited with a club. Declarer then proceeded to ruff several diamonds in hand to make 10 tricks. My partner complimented my lead, and noted that I would have continued spades if I had one. I told him I tried to continue spades.

#165 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 16:49

View PostArtK78, on 2013-December-18, 15:02, said:

Well, what's your response? :)
I frequently pull out the green suit for that one. "I looked for a green card to lead, but couldn't find one."

My partner complimented my lead, and noted that I would have continued spades if I had one. I told him I tried to continue spades.
"I did my best, I played a black card."
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#166 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-18, 19:44

View Postnige1, on 2013-December-18, 07:42, said:

Diana_Eva seems to be right that the default is now 2/1 with gadgets.

Why have a default, and why list methods in your profile? It seems more sensible to use one of BBO's stock cards, and play it exactly as written.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#167 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2013-December-18, 19:47

Terence Reese wrote about a hand where he tried to endplay West in clubs but that opponent pitched the King under the Ace, then on the next round East went up Jack to crocodile his partner's now-stiff 10. Eventually East got thrown in to lead into Reese's 97 for the game-going trick. After the play dummy commented, "You were really lucky to have the club honors falling together, weren't you?"
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#168 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-December-19, 14:17

View PostVampyr, on 2013-December-18, 19:44, said:

Why have a default, and why list methods in your profile? It seems more sensible to use one of BBO's stock cards, and play it exactly as written.

Because most players don't know or like to play exactly the same set of conventions that are in any particular stock card. So they use their profile to indicate what they prefer.

#169 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2013-December-20, 16:32

It was not comment, but was clueless enough.
Yesterday I am playing in a very weak club with playing director and not very experienced partner.
Bidding started:

Me..............Director............Partner................North
3 clubs.........3 spades............4 clubs................4 spades
pass............pas.................5 clubs................pas
pass...............double................pass*

Instead of putting Pass card on the table, Partner takes all her bids to bidding box. North looks shocked but did not say a work.
South (Director) spent good 3 minutes trying to convince my partner to put her Pass card in case if North or I would like to make a bid.

Finally bidding continue

………………………………….....................5 spades
pass...............pass

Instead of putting Pass card on the table, Director takes all his bids to bidding box. “Why!” screaming my partner. “I still have a bid.”
“Now you see,” smiling Director.
He put his Pass card on the table, my Partner double and … all three of them took their bids to bidding boxes. :) Some people never learn...

But we all had a good laugh when I asked them to put their bid on the table and let me bid. Pass, of course.

#170 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-27, 10:03

View PostCyberyeti, on 2013-December-17, 12:09, said:

This only earns true derision if it's his only way of asking aces :)

Right... what exactly is wrong with Gerber?
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#171 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-28, 15:55

View PostHighLow21, on 2013-December-27, 10:03, said:

In a limited number of situations there is nothing wrong with Gerber. In other situations it uses a very valuable bid (4) to get to know something that is much less valuable.

The problem with Gerber is that it teaches beginners to ask for aces immediately, rather than to cuebid first.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#172 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-28, 22:44

View PostHighLow21, on 2013-December-27, 10:03, said:

I hope nothing. My cousin is marrying a Miss Gerber in about an hour!

#173 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-December-29, 21:26

I was playing in a pairs tournament a couple of weeks ago. I was dummy in some contract (4S I think) and declarer starts running my long suit and makes discards. One of the opponents then proceeded to ask what declarer's discards meant.
Wayne Somerville

#174 User is offline   CamHenry 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 04:13

View Postmanudude03, on 2013-December-29, 21:26, said:

I was playing in a pairs tournament a couple of weeks ago. I was dummy in some contract (4S I think) and declarer starts running my long suit and makes discards. One of the opponents then proceeded to ask what declarer's discards meant.

I have heard of players who will discard high-low from hand to tell dummy there's nothing to worry about. Of course, some play reverse attitude in these situations ;)

#175 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 06:10

View PostTrinidad, on 2013-December-28, 15:55, said:

The problem with Gerber is that it teaches beginners to ask for aces immediately, rather than to cuebid first.

TBH I don't think cuebidding is for beginners.

I agree that weaker players overuse ace asking. But if not playing Gerber they would overuse Blackwood instead.

Weaker players will use Gerber when 4 should be natural, or 4NT when it should be quanty. Gerber is worse because it is generally easier to live without a natural 4NT bid than without a natural 4 bid.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#176 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 06:33

Not a specific comment, but an epic drama in multiple acts:

Act 1

Playing at my local club, LHO (I’ll call her W) opened 1N, P passed, and RHO responded 1H. One director call later, E was invited to take back her bid and informed that W would be silenced. E opted for 3N, tabling dummy (2533ish) after my P’s lead, and then fidgeted anxiously until midway through the play, she shouted ‘Why aren’t you running my Hs, P?’

Everyone – her P included – asked her as politely as the circumstances warranted not to comment as dummy.

Act 2

After W drifted one off, it seemed to everyone that 4H would have been a better contract. E angrily shouted ‘Why didn’t you bid Hs, P?’. We reminded her of the director’s ruling, and who had been responsible for it, but, not to be deterred, she grabbed her partner’s hand from its wallet, displayed its contents – including 4 hearts – to everyone at the table, and asserted loudly that 4H would in fact have made.

Act 3

Feeling that fripperies like reason and table etiquette were obsolete at this stage, we suggested that they could discuss this afterwards, and we should move onto the next hand, given that we were already behind. E testily agreed, and we reached for our cards – at which point W realised that all 13 of hers – including 4 hearts – were lying face up on the table.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#177 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2014-January-02, 08:21

After TM, west player asked his partner,pd said 2 was a reverse bid with extra values,so I should bid to game.Posted Image

#178 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 08:31

I once played with a Marty Bergen wannabe and made him promise to have 6 cards for a weak 2 in 2nd seat. Only in 2nd.

Third board in
p - 2 - p - p
double - float

They drew his trumps in 5 rounds, set up a side suit and ran it when they got in with the last trump.

Me: You PROMISED to have a six card suit in 2nd chair.

Him (hurt expression): I did! Clubs
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#179 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 12:42

View Postggwhiz, on 2014-January-02, 08:31, said:

I once played with a Marty Bergen wannabe and made him promise to have 6 cards for a weak 2 in 2nd seat. Only in 2nd.

Third board in
p - 2 - p - p
double - float

They drew his trumps in 5 rounds, set up a side suit and ran it when they got in with the last trump.

Me: You PROMISED to have a six card suit in 2nd chair.

Him (hurt expression): I did! Clubs

Posted Image
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#180 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-02, 15:32

I remember that in some team game my partner led something against a suit contract, I won and switched to my stiff. Declarer now asked partner about our leads and got the prompt response 3/5. She played low and immediately called the director when I ruffed the next round. She said that if she had known that I may have a stiff, she would have won the ace and drawn trumps!

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users