• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive Play TWENTY-TWO

#1 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-November-15, 23:44

You open with the spade King, and partner plays the spade 3 (UDCA)
Plan your defense. You priority of signals on opening lead is atitude-count-suit preference.

This post has been edited by inquiry: 2011-November-16, 12:54
Reason for edit: FIXED CARDING SO 3 WAS PLAYED IF YOU CLICK THE NEXT CARD THINGEE

--Ben--

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-November-16, 00:18

It shows pd played 7
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-November-16, 12:03

View PostMrAce, on 2011-November-16, 00:18, said:

It shows pd played 7

That part's an error but it's immaterial.

Anyway - back to the hand.....hmmmm, that diamond suit in dummy looks pretty ominous.
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com

#4 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-16, 13:14

View PostG_R__E_G, on 2011-November-16, 12:03, said:

That part's an error but it's immaterial.

Anyway - back to the hand.....hmmmm, that diamond suit in dummy looks pretty ominous.

Agree, club switch seems mandatory. In some layouts the K is the setting trick, if so we need to set it up right away.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#5 User is offline   G_R__E_G 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-16, 13:24

View Postbillw55, on 2011-November-16, 13:14, said:

Agree, club switch seems mandatory. In some layouts the K is the setting trick, if so we need to set it up right away.

Exactly (although I was being vague to give the BI's a chance :) ). You pretty much have to hope that if declarer does indeed have 8 trumps that their shape is 2=8=1=2 and partner has the club king. If declarer has opened 4 with only seven of them then there are different shapes that can be beaten plus we're probably getting our K too.
Visit my club website www.midlanddbc.com

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2011-November-16, 22:50

I get most of the hands that I post in the BIL forum from online tournament play (often very large tournaments). This hand came up and more that half of the field defending against hearts started with a top spade, got an attitude signal (or perhaps count) and continued spades. End of story. Their partner (East) was endplayed and could not switch to a club. Declarer gets in, pull trumps, then run diamonds for club discards.

So what you need to do, is either switch to a club now (best), or cash another high spade, then lead a club. What you can't do is play a small spade at trick two. i am thinking this is a beginner level problem only, but like i said, some 27 tables the defense went wrong by leading a second spade.

--Ben--

#7 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-17, 07:27

I suppose in this situation east should give negative attitude at trick one; the suit to shift to is obvious.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#8 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-17, 22:17

I reckon it's important to know what signal you are giving. Does partner need Attitude or count? I think count is more important, south is unlikely to have a spade stack here, I would play the 7 as count. Partner knows it's 1 or 3, if 3 then declarer has no reason to hold up the A, so East must have it. If Ax then he should overtake and return a spade so east must be Axx.

West Knowing that should cash the QS and then play a club. The 3 means you shift to a club now, on this hand the trick doesn't go away as you have the A but if south has the k then you are gifting tricks which at imps is irrelevant but at not so at match points. Give south Jx AJT9xxx xx Kx and club switch and continuation after the A is taken and 11 tricks might be a poor score for e/w.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users