BBO Discussion Forums: Minor System Adjustment (pun intentional) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Minor System Adjustment (pun intentional) For SAYC Players

#1 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2011-November-29, 07:37

The Magic Club & The Sparkling Diamond was posted as a separate thread under General Bridge Discussions http://www.bridgebas...rkling-diamond/

Regular SAYC partnerships may find using this approach http://www.bridgeguy...f/MAGICCLUB.pdf beneficial to their minor suit openings. Partner knows on your first bid whether you hold a 4-card major or not (sure the opponents are given exactly the same info, but this is about you and not them). Regular partnerships can sit down and reach their own agreements as to how the bidding should continue (you are limited by your own creativity). This document can form the starting point for your continuation bidding structure.

#2 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2011-November-29, 12:27

32519, on 2011-November-29, 07:37, said:

... Regular SAYC partnerships may find using this approach http://www.bridgeguy...f/MAGICCLUB.pdf beneficial to their minor suit openings.

Did you mean to say:
Regular SAYC partnerships may find using this approach completely changes their minor suit openings.
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#3 User is online   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-November-29, 18:26

This seems ridiculously bad to me.

Why would you want to know opener's exact point count? Wouldn't it be much more useful to know more about opener's distribution, or which suits he has honor strength/weakness in, or whether he has a "natural" 1m opening or a balanced hand?

The method also underestimates the importance of competing in a minor suit. It's true that majors are more important for game bidding, but the majority of auctions are competitive and being able to raise partner's minor is a huge advantage. You don't even get a benefit of knowing that one 1m opening has a four-card major and the other doesn't, because natural hands (i.e. 4M-6m) can be included in both calls. You're just splitting up your balanced hands in an arbitrary way that makes it much harder to compete in the bidding or to find your minor suit slams. I'd much rather open my longer/better minor, or alternatively put all the balanced hands without a long diamond suit into 1.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#4 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-November-30, 03:35

awm, on 2011-November-29, 18:26, said:

This seems ridiculously bad to me.

+1
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users