BBO Discussion Forums: ATB: missed 3NT - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ATB: missed 3NT

Poll: ATB: missed 3NT (18 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think?

1. North can't bid 3H as it asks for a H stopper .. he should just suck it up and bid 3NT himself (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. With 2 opposing suits, 3H shows a stopper, South is expected to bid 3NT with a spade stopper (4 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. 3H by North is fine, South should respond 3S showing values, allowing North to bid 3NT (6 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

4. Missing this marginal game is no big deal (2 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

5. Something else (explain below) (3 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   the_dude 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-December-01, 15:18

A thorny hand came up with a couple of my students today .. and I had difficulty explaining a good solution.

South felt 3 was looking for a stopper for 3NT, he didn't have one and had a bad hand, so he signed off in 4.

North, following the meta rule that if the opponents bid 2 suits and you are missing one stopper, you bid the one you have .. thought 3 showed a heart stopper and asked for a spade stopper.

It's possible N should just blast 3NT over 2 and hope that the opponents can't take 5 (or 6) fast tricks.

However, it seems North's 3 just shows a big hand, and it wouldn't hurt South to bid 3 showing values (allowing N to now bid 3NT). Of course, it's possible that North could take 3 as a 4 card suit and put S in 4 even with a known 4-1 split.

Any ideas?
If no one comes from the future to stop you from doing it then how bad a decision could it really be?

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-December-01, 17:19

I think you came close to answering your own questions by your comments.

1. The meta rule about bidding the stopper you hold doesn't apply when, as here, the cue-bidder hasn't really begun to describe his hand. 3 is needed as a generic force. Consider Ax xx AKxxx AKQx....we can't bid 3...that would be natural in any logical method (else you invite the opps to rob you blind).

2. Since 3 announces a non-specific big hand, it behooves S to 'do something intelligent'

It is arguable that such might include showing a 4 card spade suit along the way, but (given that 2 showed some, albeit modest, values), the frequency with which one would have this hand is minimal. One might well double 1 with 4=5 pointed and 6+ hcp, intending, if possible and necessary, to show diamonds later. Otoh, in this auction, when partner is jammed, we need to be able to find the 9 trick game. Partner may have other ideas, but, if so, he can always clarify....our first duty is to help him. Using 3 to show values, rather than a suit, seems to me to be more plausible....with a spade card and diamonds, we have to bid diamonds over 1. With a spade suit, diamonds and values, we could have doubled 1. Therefore the former is more consistent with the auction than the latter interpretation.

As an aside, the notion of N blasting 3N makes me feel ill. The double implied spades, the 3N would guarantee something in the suit....admittedly the auction suggests partner has a card or two in the majors, but he still doesn't need to stop spades and, more importantly, we can ask him via 3.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-01, 22:56

View Postmikeh, on 2011-December-01, 17:19, said:

I think you came close to answering your own questions by your comments.

Thats also what i think
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-02, 04:48

Your analysis is good, but I don´t think south´s 3 can be taken as natural, it looks like somesort of last train to 3NT, with 4 spades doubling 1 is better.

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-02, 06:45

North's 3H is not well defined. South has little to spare and 4D seems correct. I think north should avoid messing up and bid 3NT. South is bound to have some spades anyway.

#6 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-02, 08:57

I'm not crazy about the initial X. S might compete quite heavily in Ss as a result. Why not 1N? At this vul P will surely raise you with as much as a 7 count.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-02, 09:55

1NT?? Sorry, but unless you play that as some 19-21, the call seems out of order.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users