• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Play!

#61 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-June-06, 10:29

View Postgnasher, on 2012-June-06, 09:35, said:

You should get out of that habit immediately. Law 46A begins "When calling a card to be played from dummy declarer should clearly state both the suit and the rank of the desired card."

If you break this law out of laziness or ignorance, that's no big deal. But, now that you know that it's against the rules, doing so in order to gain an advantage would be a big deal.

Edit: Perhaps I should add that, like everyone I know, I break this law all the time. However, I don't believe that it brings me any advantage. In matters of this sort, intent is important.

Thank you. I hadn't really thought of it since adopting the habit several years ago, except thinking that if I have a choice in how to designate cards with the only consideration being that one makes it easy for opponents, and one harder, then I should make the choice that makes it harder for the opponents (like I would in choice of bidding decisions where partner is minimally impacted). I was not fully aware that the way to designate a call is legally stated, but if I was aware of that, I would have been very uncomfortable with the "advice" I was given, and it would have changed my thinking completely.

To Robin - In the flight A GNT trials this year, we had a young woman on our team that purposely dressed provocatively in hopes of distracting horn-dog male opponent X, and when we had seating rights, we sat her against him. Would you consider that unethical, distasteful, smart, funny, some combination of the above?
Chris Gibson

#62 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 10:40

The one I consistently do is "top X" and "X eight-spot" - knowing it violates the Law. It's still better than the correct alternative.

I violate this Law all the time, as does everyone else except Blackshoe; unambiguously, of course.

CSG "to Robin": "Yes."

I tell the story of one partner I had, 4'10", 25-but-looked-16, and terminally cute. She dressed well - not provocatively, but her style complimented her looks. That was worth at least half-a-board a round every round we hit a married couple; either because the husband was looking more at my partner than his cards, or because the wife was looking more at her husband to make sure he wasn't looking than at her cards. Of course, the fact that she looked like she did was worth a fair bit outside of that, too - did I mention that she was a high school biology teacher and smart as a whip (and made the beer (and won the match) in a Midnight playing against Meckstroth)? It's amazing how underestimated she usually was.

Me? Hey, I'm not *allowed* to look at my partner when we have cards in our hands. How could I be distracted?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#63 User is offline   paua 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-06, 17:37

View Postbarmar, on 2012-January-03, 09:46, said:

46B3b seems clear on that case. It says dummy must play "a card from dummy of the designated rank if he can legally do so". He can't play Q legally, so must play Q.

I understood Wayne's ambiguous Queen call to be in a situation where dummy was on lead. If "Queen" is called then it is by Law the queen from the last suit played (and won in dummy). If ambiguous, the Laws specify that declarer must clarify. This is not a good habit to get into.

To me "Play" means "play anything", and the defenders can choose the legal card. Maybe this is a New Zealand thing. Wayne has more experience than me, but I have never heard "play" in New Zealand. "Yup" or "Thanks" common.

I would also like to add the phrase "diamond AWAY" to the discussion. This is used by a few people when discarding from dummy. Does it specify the lowest diamond, or can the defenders choose the diamond ?

#64 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-06, 19:23

I think the defenders should call the director. Law 46B2 applies:

If declarer designates a suit but not a rank he is deemed to have called the lowest card of the suit indicated.

--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#65 User is offline   mjj29 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-June-07, 05:00

View Postblackshoe, on 2012-June-06, 19:23, said:

I think the defenders should call the director. Law 46B2 applies:

Next you're going to try and stop me calling for "The Beer Card".

#66 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-07, 06:54

Am I? Are you sure?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#67 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-June-07, 10:24

View Postpaua, on 2012-June-06, 17:37, said:

To me "Play" means "play anything", and the defenders can choose the legal card. Maybe this is a New Zealand thing. Wayne has more experience than me, but I have never heard "play" in New Zealand. "Yup" or "Thanks" common.
Check Law 46B5. Not just a "New Zealand" thing - but boy do people here take umbrage when I take advantage of that rule (which I try to always do - "play anything" means either that dummy is irrelevant in the pseudosqueeze (almost never), or declarer should be claiming (almost always), or what declarer actually means is "play anything except the K, which should be obvious", (rarely) - in which case an introduction to the Laws is in order).
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users