Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Weak Two Bid & Response

#1 User is offline   gneuz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2011-December-03, 10:42

I was wondering what the PT count would be for responding to a weak two opening. I bid two hearts, and we wound up making four after partner passed. He wasn't strong in hearts, but had 14 high card pts. I like to play aggressive, and always try for game. Is a raise in NT the response to encourage a game bid? Thanks for any opinions.

#2 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-03, 11:58

Points schmoints. Opener has 7 or 8 losers. Responder needs at least four cover cards (Aces or Kings, or the Queen of trumps) and possibly five to justify game in opener's suit (2NT asking for Ogust responses can help here), or all the side suits stopped and about 8 tricks in his own hand or several entries to dummy to justify 3NT.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-03, 15:39

I don't think 7 or 8 losers is valid for me - I like to open a weak 2 often, and can do it on 9 losers. I use a 2NT ask, and will do it with a flattish 16 count, or a 14 count with a singleton. I think if your weak 2s are freely bid, you have to accept that sometimes (but rarely) you will miss game, or get to the 3 level and go off, but with the advantage of being disruptive more often than those with stricter requirements.

However, blackshoe is perfectly correct - a 14 count containing side suit quacks does not qualify.

#4 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2011-December-04, 17:03

Picture a typical weak 2 opposite your hand and ask yourself if you'll take 9 tricks in notrump, 10 in a major, or 11 in a minor. If so, bid game; if not, don't. It's all about tricks, not points.

For example, suppose partner opens 2 and you have this:

K Q J 3
6 2
Q J 8 4
A J 6

That's 14 HCP, and you should pass. Partner has a hand like:

10 7 4
K Q J 9 3 2
K 8
9 5

You'll probably lose a spade, a heart, a diamond, and a club, and partner has a pretty good weak 2; it could be worse.

Suppose, instead, you have:

A K Q 3
7 6 2
Q J 8 6 4

Put that opposite partner's weak 2 and you'll probably lose a heart, a diamond, and a club; that's a reasonable (minimum) raise to 4, and it has only 12 HCP.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#5 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-04, 17:30

I would say s2000magic's last hand is a borderline 2NT inquiry. If opener's minors are reversed, you will go off.

#6 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2011-December-04, 19:45

View PostfromageGB, on 2011-December-04, 17:30, said:

I would say s2000magic's last hand is a borderline 2NT inquiry. If opener's minors are reversed, you will go off.

I wouldn't disagree. There's judgment (sometimes read "guessing") involved, and less room than over a 1-bid, so sometimes you'll gue . . . uh, judge . . . wrong.

Feel free to toss in a better example.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users