• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Online bidding disaster

#1 User is offline   dwar0123 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-14, 03:57

Match points.

We had discussed enough that I knew that double was penalty, however I had no idea what any bid meant after that. My fear was that we were missing a vulnerable game and maybe even a vulnerable slam. I felt for my partner to penalty double at the 2 level he needed to be quite a bit stronger then he actually was. He has all of 4 tricks and I haven't actually promised much yet.

3nt was down 1. No one played in 2, though one person was in 4x down 3. 4 makes if you trump finesse east for the king.

Assign blame please, I sure did at the table and I might owe someone an apology!

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-14, 05:03

after 1s if x of 2h = I kill them; you have a huge huge hand.....i mean 1s can be much less.

why in the world are you bidding.

if x means something else ok tell us...

#3 User is offline   Wackojack 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:I have discovered that the water cooler is a chrono-synclastic infundibulum

Posted 2012-January-14, 05:56

It is very unusual to play a double for penalty in this position. However, with this agreement clearly North is is nowhere strong enough to make that bid. So pass with this min opener and await developments. Partner will often have enough to make another bid.

Much better to make a double in this position for take out or playing it as a "support double" The only occasion that North could double with a min hand is when you are playing support doubles showing 3 card spade support.
May 2003: Mission accomplished
Oct 2006: Mission impossible
Soon: Mission illegal

#4 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-14, 14:38

Double was an overbid for sure but any penalty double of 2 has short spades in it. Even if the double is extra values oriented to defence, short spades are likely.

Therefore I would have bid 3 at these colours for the potential vul game and probably play there but this 11 count is no longer worth a game force to me.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-14, 14:56

View Postggwhiz, on 2012-January-14, 14:38, said:

Double was an overbid for sure but any penalty double of 2 has short spades in it. Even if the double is extra values oriented to defence, short spades are likely.

This. I might add that we use penalty-oriented doubles more than most pairs. If only fourth chair had bid, and we had this hand behind him we would double. North's hand is a clear pass when hearts are bid and raised on both sides of him.

Whatever South might have done to further butch the result, North gets the blame for starting it all.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

6 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users