BBO Discussion Forums: Which Direction Are We Going? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which Direction Are We Going? How do we value this hand?

#1 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-18, 19:47

MP's
Nobody Vulnerable
Partner opens 1NT (15-17). East passes. Which direction are we going?

Which Direction Are We Going? :blink:

I guess this one is all about hand evaluation. Where do you plan to go with this, if at all?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#2 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2012-January-18, 19:57

I make a balanced invitation with this hand, I rarely upgrade hands and don't consider JTx worthy.
"And no matter what methods you play, it is essential, for anyone aspiring to learn to be a good player, to learn the importance of bidding shape properly." MikeH

#3 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-January-18, 20:07

3NT. This is not upgrading, but the JTs make this an obvious bid imo.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-January-18, 21:44

IMPs I'd just bid 3NT, so the question for me is assuming we have 24 or 25 points do we want to be playing 2NT or 3NT. I have vry soft values, but I do have three very nicely played 10s, which might even take a trick vs partners opening.

What are some minimum hands partner could have? KQx, KQx, KQx, xxxx? It is about the worst hand he could have I guess two less Qs and the ace of clubs is a bit worse. It's only good for 8, but he doesn't need much more shape or points (an extra club for example), to take another trick. So we've got good chances for 9 so let's just bid it.

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-January-18, 22:00

3NT for me, this hand should fit well enough with partner's cards to provide enough extra tricks in 3NT to make it a favorite to make.

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-19, 08:47

3N. There are two types of deals that can provide nine tricks and the combined total of the partnership is less than 25-26. One is where we have a source of tricks + quick tricks. The other is where we have an overabundance of intermediates and the defense cannot take 5 off the top. Rexford categorized these nicely but I cannot remember his designations.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2012-January-23, 19:36

View PostPhil, on 2012-January-19, 08:47, said:

3N. There are two types of deals that can provide nine tricks and the combined total of the partnership is less than 25-26. One is where we have a source of tricks + quick tricks. The other is where we have an overabundance of intermediates and the defense cannot take 5 off the top. Rexford categorized these nicely but I cannot remember his designations.

Two types.

Type One is a "Cloud 3NT."
Type Two is a "T-3NT."
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#9 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 22:41

I invite, however you do it with 2nt or 2 followed by 2nt.

It's all about knowing your pard and mine never turns down an invite unless it's an emergency. If she passes 2nt, I'm not hopeful of a plus score. If I blast 3nt with THIS pard, I'm cramping their style.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#10 User is online   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 02:46

I ran 1000 deals through Dealmaster Pro with this hand and opposite a 15 HCP balanced hand, 3NT only made 33%. Opposite a 16 HCP hand, the percentage for 3NT went up to 54%. It seems that this is only worth an invitation to 3NT.

If you're thinking that 3NT might make more often without double dummy defense, I ran 1000 deals with a random 3=3=4=3 distribution, 9 HCP, opposite a 15 HCP balanced hand and this made 36%. This is certainly in line with conventional wisdom to invite with 9 HCP and bid game with 10 HCP. It's a somewhat surprising result since all these jacks and 10's don't make this suitable for an upgrade, even less so than a random 9 HCP.

After the fact reasoning: KQJ tight isn't that great unless partner has ace or 10 fourth, and is bad duplication opposite ace doubleton or tripleton. What plays better,

Axx opposite J102

or AJ10 opposite xxx, or maybe AJx opposite 10xx. True, this may not happen that often, but certainly more often than if J102 is a given.

Another possibility is that jacks aren't worth a full 1 HCP but that's a can of worms I don't want to get into.

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 04:39

The 4333 and the quacks has more weight than those tens it seems.

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 07:39

I'd just bid 3NT (2NT invite at MPs). 4333s are indeed crap - as much as I like to upgrade, I can't remember the last time I upgraded a 4333.

ahydra

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

9 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users