Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Offense or defense? Low-level double decision

#1 User is offline   bd71 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-19, 14:14

Playing mainstream 2/1. Double would be for penalty.

What is your bid at MATCHPOINTS?

Edited: Original diamond holding was wrong. Actual holding is QTxx rather than KJxx.

#2 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-19, 15:24

Wow, really great to have a penalty double here with this hand isn't it?

Unfortunately, double is generally played as responsive IRL, and even more so on the forums.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#3 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2012-January-19, 16:13

Is it? I feel I'm having an evening contradicting you, sorry.....

I play double as penalties, although it's rarely going to end the auction.
I don't feel strongly about either double or 2D. If I double and they bid 2C (which is very likely), I will probably bid 2D then, but I've told partner about more of my high cards.

TBH I'd probably just bid diamonds now instead.

#4 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-January-19, 17:02

X is responsive even in this spot? Obviously most people play that (1Y) X (2Y) X is responsive, but it seems that there's merit to being able to say "they stepped in it" when they have a likely misfit, especially when they step in it vulnerable at MP.

I am less familiar than I'd like to be with all situations in which people employ responsive X's.

edit: I started that response over an hour ago, got distracted, and unsurprisingly while I was away someone has said more-or-less what I was going to say :)
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#5 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-January-19, 19:04

I can't see the auction ending if I X and I think it gives partner an expectation to a better hand than I hold, I'm therefore bidding 2 though passing and hoping to be on lead has some merit.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-19, 23:44

Double is % 100 penalty for me. And i would either dbl with this hand or pass. Knowing myself probably pass. Not that i am afraid of 1NT doubled may make and that i have borderline values for this dbl, but simply because i can not DBL 2, not even in mp with what i have. So i am more worried about them running to 2 than running to 2 clubs tbh.

I would not strongly consider bidding 2 tho, responder has less than 4 and less than 3, he is likely to hold 4-5 if he doesnt have 5 or more suit. No guarantee that pd has 4 diamond either. If i am not willing to DBL 1 NT am i annoyed from defending 1NT or 2 undoubled ? No, and if they have a fit and if they find it, i can always bid 2 later.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-January-20, 00:36

Did I just land on a strange planet?

Of course 1x - dbl - 1N - dbl is responsive.
Hi y'all!

#8 User is offline   Phil 

Posted 2012-January-20, 00:37

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2012-January-19, 16:13, said:

Is it? I feel I'm having an evening contradicting you, sorry.....

I play double as penalties, although it's rarely going to end the auction.
I don't feel strongly about either double or 2D. If I double and they bid 2C (which is very likely), I will probably bid 2D then, but I've told partner about more of my high cards.

TBH I'd probably just bid diamonds now instead.

If partner cracked 2, wouldn't you be licking your chops?
Hi y'all!

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-January-20, 06:31

I would never dbl, even if it were penalties. Given my heart length pard may have doubled with like 11 hcp or so and I'm not going to hang him for that.

Either pass or bid 2, but not dbl.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-20, 23:13

View PostPhil, on 2012-January-20, 00:36, said:

Did I just land on a strange planet?

Of course 1x - dbl - 1N - dbl is responsive.

Bro this IF this DBL is responsive, it is STILL penalty imo. So i don't understand your dissapointment.

Your pd will pass this DBL with most of the hands he has. Letme try to convince you this way;

This double looks like 1-DBL-1-DBL much more than it looks like 1-DBL-2-DBL, do you agree ?

I asked some good players that you know very well too. Even the ones who plays it responsive expected their pd to pass with most of the hands.

Steve Robinson thinks this depends on pdship agreement and that he uses this as responsive DBL.

Ira Chorush thinks if 1NT is natural, a pair CAN NOT possibly agree to play this as responsive for obvious reasons.

Choo totally agrees with you and you already heard Frances.

I am thinking, what are we supposed to bid over 1NT when we have xxx AKTxx Qxx Qx ? To me when u were about to bid 2 NT and when one of the opponents either seriously or with ill intentions bid NT before you, you DBL them bro, no ? :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-20, 23:58

I don´t wanna play 1NT X with AKxx, they will make too often IMO. So Id bid 2.

#12 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-21, 05:51

I like this dble to say the hand belongs to us and I am happy to defend if the t/o dble is not some random 4-1-4-4, 9 or 10 count. The dble should suggest values and a willingness to compete and set up a forcing pass if LHO bids. Bidding 2D could be xx xxx Jxxxxx Kx, is this not a hand we want to bid 2D with?

responsive means 2 places to play, 2D or 1NT dble counts as 2 places, so I like this dble.

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2012-January-21, 06:07

Regardless of what you call them, there are two possible meanings for double here:
- I want to defend 1NTx.
- I want to compete in a suit, but I don't know which suit to bid, so I'd like you to bid one instead.

I prefer the second meaning, because I'm more interested in bidding to our best contract than in chasing low-level penalties. It appears, however, that there's no consensus about the default.

There's a good case for varying the meaning by opening. After 1C-dbl-1NT, you can use 2C for takeout, so there's little downside to playing double as penalties.

On the actual hand, I'd bid 2. A penalty double might work well if it gets passed out or if we end up defending 2x, but I don't want to have to guess what to do after dbl-2-pass-pass, dbl-2-pass-2, dbl-2-dbl-2, or dbl-2-pass-3.

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2012-January-21, 06:09

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#14 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-January-22, 01:36

When they are VUL or in IMPS, I dont respect most of the opps enough to play responsive double here, those I respect tend to open very agressively so I want to play penalty X against them too. Of course they could make it but they are going to be down more than 50% and +200 will look pretty good. If they are not vul at MP competing with 3 suits available is just too important, since playing 2M rather than 2m is just too good. (Also the 4S+5m are more frequent than the penalty X).

Also I really like my chance in 2Hx too as long as its partner that is doubling.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users