• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-August-07, 15:30

:P Recently received two BBO e-mails from complete strangers with whom I had recently played one hand in a BBO indy. The first one was clearly meant to be abusive:

"learn bnridge"

Just a guess, but this poor fellow must have been intoxicated or was so enraged that he had forgotten how to spell. I went back to the bridge hand in question. It involved a complicated, unusual, competitive auction. We ended up getting a poor result. One of us does, indeed, need to learn bridge.

The second one was cryptic, but abusive as well (I think):

"at least i don't cheat girl and xpect dir to protect girl!"

I went back and examined the one hand where we played against one another. It was the last hand of a BBO indy. For some reason the director stepped in and called time, assigning averages. I was dummy, so I had left as soon as the bidding was over. I later got two BBO e-mails from the director explaining her position. Very polite and professional thing to do, imo. Perhaps, mister semi-literate meant to send his e-mail to another party. All a mystery to me.

You have standards for Forum postings. Do they apply to BBO e-mails as well?

#2 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2013-August-07, 16:31

View Postjdeegan, on 2013-August-07, 15:30, said:

... You have standards for Forum postings. Do they apply to BBO e-mails as well?

The standards are just for the forum postings.

For BBO please see:

http://online.bridge.../doc_rules.html

Note:

The following are considered serious offenses. Repeat offenders will be expelled from BBO:
Insulting your partners, opponents, or any other member of BBO

A great procedure is to screen capture the messages, and then send an email to abuse@bridgebase.com

Second best would be to get Taylor Swift to write a song about them
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2013-August-08, 00:07

Mark them as enemies, I think this should prevent them from sending you email again.

As for the misspelling, it looks like a typo to me (N is right next to B, it's easy to hit the extra key). I suspect Mr. Semi-Literate is is not a native English speaker.

#4 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-August-08, 02:30

View Postbarmar, on 2013-August-08, 00:07, said:

Mark them as enemies, I think this should prevent them from sending you email again.

As for the misspelling, it looks like a typo to me (N is right next to B, it's easy to hit the extra key). I suspect Mr. Semi-Literate is is not a native English speaker.

:P The first guy is Dutch. He just doesn't proofread his stuff. The second guy claims to be an American named Malcolm. I think both these guys were just drunk.

Still, I have been playing indies and Speedball on BBO for years and never got abusive e-mails before. It is amusing in small doses, but I would hate to deal with it very often. Two such missives in one day seemed odd.

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-August-08, 21:53

View Postjdeegan, on 2013-August-08, 02:30, said:

Still, I have been playing indies and Speedball on BBO for years and never got abusive e-mails before. It is amusing in small doses, but I would hate to deal with it very often. Two such missives in one day seemed odd.

Consider yourself lucky for all the times you haven't gotten abusive emails. Infortunately, people tend to be ruder online than in real life, it's a well known problem. It doesn't take much to trigger it.

#6 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2013-August-09, 09:46

View Postbarmar, on 2013-August-08, 21:53, said:

Consider yourself lucky for all the times you haven't gotten abusive emails. Infortunately, people tend to be ruder online than in real life, it's a well known problem. It doesn't take much to trigger it.

:P I see what you mean. After all, Myrtle Adkins Bennett did murder her husband John after he misplayed a bridge hand.

Glad to hear it is not an emerging problem on BBO.

#7 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-August-13, 06:59

View Postjdeegan, on 2013-August-09, 09:46, said:

After all, Myrtle Adkins Bennett did murder her husband John after he misplayed a bridge hand.

Murder? Not at all, she shot him twice in the back in self defence. According to a witness (who never testified at the trial) she also chased him through the aprtment firing a further 2 shots. That was a high point in the history of the American legal system. <random comment that might provoke unwanted reactions withdrawn>
(-: Zel :-)

#8 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2013-August-13, 08:46

Warning: I will shut this thread down if it goes off on a tangent about racism because of Zel's random comment.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users