• You cannot reply to this topic

Matchpoint Play problem club night

#1 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-20, 22:02

Hi all,

This was one of just two hands I got to declare on my night out in Boston with hrothgar. How would you plan the play from here? Do you agree with ducking the first spade?

Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#2 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-20, 23:33

There is no alternative to ducking the spade, is it?

LHO is marked with a strong hand, so KJ, and 2 aces, or KJ, one ace and Q, but if this is the case, LHO though his hand too strong to preempt, this means doubleton Q is unlikelly.

I would go for the straightforward K, to the jack line. If LHO has stiff 10 we might still score 11 tricks, we need LHO to win A and A on first tricks of the suit.

Play Q, if taken by the ace and a spade is returned, win A, and ruff a spade in hand. Next play K and hope it is taken, if it is taken we are in good shape. We need to reduce our trumps to the same lenght as RHO, RHO has Qx left and we have A96, so win the return, and play K and ruff a diamond in hand (if LHO is so kind of returning a spade we might not need this move, althou then we need that RHO still has a diamond left wich might not happen since he had 2 pitches on spades already).

If all went well, RHO has another club in his hand and Qx. While we have A9 in our hand. We play a club to dummy, and play diamonds untill RHO decides to ruff or is forced to do so because no more cards are left. When he does we overruff , draw the last trump and cash our remaining club if any.

If at any point the line fails and RHO ruffs A or second diamond, we still have no problem winning the return, getting to hand and drawing the outstanding Q to claim 10.

#3 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-22, 11:16

Interesting thoughts Fluffy. I had thought this was a good problem for B/I players where they had to use the auction and lead to place the high cards. I'll put my solution in a spoiler below:

Spoiler

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#4 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-22, 11:45

14 HCP are at large, A, KJ A and Q. We must lose the two aces and thus must just make sure we lose at most one heart. I think the way to go about it is cash K and then play another heart and cover whatever RHO plays. This loses if LHO has Qx and can give RHO a spade ruff, but the other line (cash AK) loses two hearts on 4-1 breaks (which I think are more likely since LHO has the spades) unless the Q or T are singletons.
Is this too simplistic?
[edit]
Apparently so. Is a 3-2 split in hearts still to be expected on this bidding?

#5 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-22, 11:59

View PostAntrax, on 2012-January-22, 11:45, said:

Is a 3-2 split in hearts still to be expected on this bidding?

Not necessarily, but what happens if LHO has either stiff T or stiff Q or QT tight. Say I play low towards the K:

1) He plays the Q. Is this a devious falsecard from QT tight or Q stiff? I'll (almost) always play him for Q stiff, but it's at least a worry.

2) He plays the T. Is this QT tight or T stiff. Dunno.

If I play the J and it's covered, I'll pay off to QT tight.

I dunno what's most likely, but the fact that he didn't lead hearts says to me that he probably has Q(x)(x). I think it's more likely that he has either Qx or Qxx than it is Q.

#6 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-22, 16:28

I am not sure I would put that much stock into LHO not leading a trump. Dummy showed a good long suit, which argues for an aggressive lead to set up the defense's tricks before declarer sets up diamonds. Or maybe LHO has a singleton trump and doesn't like to lead that. Or maybe LHO just loves aggressive leads too much. Or he thinks "they didn't even try for NT".

I mean, if it were a 50-50 guess, obviously the lead would be the deciding factor, but here you are taking an anti-percentage line to begin with, and LHO has 7 vacant spots compared to RHO's 11.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-22, 16:45

Qxx is a good reason not ot lead trumps and not to lead shortness as well.

#8 User is offline   phil_20686 

• Scotland
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 05:14

Book me in for the JH at trick 2.

This is obviously anti % a priori, but bidding 1s then 2s vul vs not should show a decent hand or a good spade suit, since his spade suit is poor I will give him all the outstanding HCP.

If lho covers the heart J I will hook the 9 on the way back.

The alternative is to assume that LHO has seven spades. There is some sense to this as leading away from KJxxxx into the opening bidder does not seem that sensible. leading the 9 from KJ98xxx hoping for a ruff and with the diamond ace as a reentry may be a decent gambit. I just dont think one would try it at MP.
The physics is theoretical, but the fun is real. - Sheldon Cooper

#9 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 07:38

View Postphil_20686, on 2012-January-23, 05:14, said:

This is obviously anti % a priori, but bidding 1s then 2s vul vs not should show a decent hand or a good spade suit, since his spade suit is poor I will give him all the outstanding HCP.

But having Qxx doesn't make bidding 2 much better.
In real life it seems LHO was just bad, but if he wasn't, I think it's much more likely that he has heart shortness than Qxx.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users