• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to find this slam?

#1 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-23, 07:54

Matchpoints.

At the table S bid 3NT and was left there. However, 6 would've been a better spot, not the least of which because 7 also makes :)

#2 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 08:09

Neg-DBL comes to mind.
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#3 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 08:22

agree with the above, negative double is your resouce here, and that´s what I´d do at IMPs since I can live with 4 6-1 with so many extras. But at MPs I can´t say I wouldn´t go for 3NT without thinking enough.

The trick here is to differentiate from "I have 16 points with minors and stopper" where 3NT is probably the best bid at MPs, from the real hand wich is more like "I have 3 aces and only 3.5 losers if partner has singleton spade!".

What I mean is: south´s hand ain´t a simple 16 count, its a supper hand for slam.

#4 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 10:07

View PostFluffy, on 2012-January-23, 08:22, said:

agree with the above, negative double is your resouce here, and that´s what I´d do at IMPs since I can live with 4 6-1 with so many extras. But at MPs I can´t say I wouldn´t go for 3NT without thinking enough.

The trick here is to differentiate from "I have 16 points with minors and stopper" where 3NT is probably the best bid at MPs, from the real hand wich is more like "I have 3 aces and only 3.5 losers if partner has singleton spade!".

What I mean is: south´s hand ain´t a simple 16 count, its a supper hand for slam.

Yup, slam is perfectly good opposite Axxxx, xxxxx in the reds and any 3 small black cards, requiring only a 2-1 trump break.

1-(3)-X-4- followed by keycard showing 2+Q and you're bidding at least 6.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2012-January-23, 10:12

IMO, If the colors are as posted, 3NT should have shown a powerful offensive hand, with double being more defensive. Heresy to mention penalty on these fora, so I will describe double as a convertable takeout.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-January-23, 10:36

NegX for me also. The slam potential is large if opener fits one of the minors.

EDIT I failed to see that it was MP, so double is less desirable although I won't mind much if it is passed and we defend.

#7 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-January-23, 13:06

I'd probably duplicate the OP.

To those that like double - its MPs, and our T, not to mention A-3rd are nice cards for 3N. If we double we have given up on any number of NT under 6 without detailed agreements. I think its way more likely that 430 or 460 is available.

Furthermore, what makes the doublers think that we are going to have such a smooth ride? If partner rebids 4, which seems like a likely occurrence with partner's short hearts and our short spades, I'm pretty sick, since its doubtful hearts outscores NT. If partner bids 4m, I'm not convinced 6m is there, but I would probably bid it since we are getting very few matchpoints for 5m. I'd start with 4, and let things run their course.

If I can bid a natural 4N (which I can in one partnership) over 4, then I can live with a double.

By the way, I think North might have bid 4 over 3N.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#8 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-23, 14:49

I don't open that North hand - too light. If partner has 11 and a misfit, disaster will result.

So East opens 3S and then South goes ugh... now what. Probably 3NT, ending the auction. :( If by some chance he picks 4D (planning to play 5m) then we might be onto something. 4H from North, 5C from South, 6D from North is my guess, but that feels more like a stumble-around-in-the-dark auction to me.

Moral is, don't be hard on yourself/ves for missing a 26pt slam when opps pre-empt heavily - it's never easy. :)

ahydra

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2012-January-23, 15:31

Phil's post makes a lot of sense to me.....3N is a pragmatic matchpoint bid. More to the point, when it seems clear that the action of one player, here South, will be the decision point, it helps to present this as a problem along the lines of 'what do you call here?' over 3.

A lot of people reading this post are going to look for the way they'd reach their 10 card fit, and obviously double, on this hand, works great.

But what happens when opener is 2533 or 1633 or a myriad of other shapes lacking a 4 card minor?

And what if he bids 4? This hand is MUCH better when he bids 4 than when he bids 4...are we really going to settle for 5 or drive to slam?

Put another way.....if we knew partner was bidding almost anything except pass (which has to be damn near impossible on the auction and our spade holding) or diamonds, we'd want to rewind the bidding to avoid the negative double. Since we 'know' that he is bidding diamonds, it is very difficult to be objective.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-24, 01:15

I considered 4 but there were some reasons against it, not the least of which is that partner took out my 3NT a couple of hands back and I was still mad at him :)
(Also, more Bridgestatically, I thought slam was remote and 3NT is a very sweet spot in MPs)

#11 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2012-January-25, 05:44

I join Phil and Mike (and your choice). The hand is a little heavy for 3 NT, but this is still our most likely contract.
At imps, 3 NT will be too lazy, but at mps, I would bet , that this will result in much better scores then doubling.
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#12 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-25, 06:03

I talked with one of the pairs that found the diamond slam. On their table E bid 2 :)

#13 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2012-January-25, 06:21

View Postahydra, on 2012-January-23, 14:49, said:

I don't open that North hand - too light. If partner has 11 and a misfit, disaster will result.

At favourable I don't think this is even close to a pass. 10 hcp in your long suits, extra distribution and if disaster befalls us it will usually only cost a few 50s. Sure we can get doubled but this is rare. (And they might still have a game.)
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#14 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-January-26, 01:32

obvious neg X at any form of scoring.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users