• You cannot reply to this topic

South African Precision

#21 User is offline   Ace4hcp 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Point counting

Posted 2012-February-10, 14:24

View Post32519, on 2012-January-30, 00:13, said:

Pard and me are having some fun designing our own Non-Natural System. Coming from South Africa, we have called it “South African Precision” although it has little if anything in common with regular Precision (forget the name).

Thus far we are fairly comfortable with our 1-level bids, excluding the continuation bids for the 1 opening. We are now coming to the forums for some creative suggestions here.

Without boring you with excessive detail, the 1-level structure looks like this –
1 = 20+ any distribution
1 = 16-19 HCP (a 4 HCP range) any distribution
1 = 13-15 HCP (a 3 HCP range) any distribution
1 = 11-12 HCP (a 2 HCP range) balanced in 1st and 2nd seat, 5X in 3rd and 4th seat (Rule of 15)
1NT = 10 HCP exactly, balanced, absolutely denying a 5-card suit

Regarding the 1 bid, without opposition intervention partner is forced to make a noise as the bid is artificial. The cheapest available step is a negative response (0-6 HCP); 1 without opposition intervention, Pass with opposition intervention. 7 HCP was decided upon as a positive response on the known guarantee that our side has at minimum half of the HCP in the deck (opener’s 13 + responders 7). With a positive response, the premise is that it should be reasonably safe to bid up to 2NT. With that as a starting point we started experimenting with “any bid greater than the 1st step (the negative response) = shortest suit” (or weakest suit with two 2-card suits, 1NT showing shortness/weakness). With as openers best suit, it is easy to just sign-off in 1NT. This scheme was working out OK until we started dealing random hands with a singleton Ace in any suit, more than half of the promised 7 HCP. The problem here being that in any trump contract responder had little left to offer in HCP in the trump suit.

Hopefully somebody from these forums may choose to re-evaluate our initial assessment and provide an alternative solution.

This post has been edited with what follows below.

To bring a bit more sanity to this thread, I will include the 2-level bids as well. I didn’t think this was necessary initially.

The 2-level bids are there for the more distributional hands –
2 = 1 of the following: 6-card suit or 5X and 5X or 5X plus 4-card major 10-13 HCP
2 = Our own version of the current Multi. I absolutely loathe the current Multi. If you want some clues as to where we are going with the revised Multi, you can find some of them here:
1.) Is the Multi Worth It? http://www.bridgebas...lti-2-worth-it/
2.) Flannery http://www.bridgebas...49815-flannery/
3.) The Hated 4441 Hand Pattern http://www.bridgebas...1-hand-pattern/
4.) Showing 2-Suited Hands http://www.bridgebas...2-suited-hands/
You won’t find all the answers, but this I will say (for now). The Revised Multi we intend using includes 4 possible hand patterns a) A natural weak 6-card suit with 2 of the top 3 or 3 of the top 5 honours, b) The 4441 hand pattern 17-24 HCP. The other 2 will be communicated at a later stage.
2/2 = Muiderberg in 1st and 2nd seat, Constructive 6-card suit in 3rd and 4th seat 8-12 HCP.
2NT = 5/5 Majors 8-12 HCP as used by Blue Team Club. We have tested BTC continuation bidding structure and found it to be very effective. Sure you get some bad results, but they aren’t that many. You can find it on Dan’s website. http://www.bridgewithdan.com/

A lot of the threads started by myself have been to find alternatives to what is currently considered the “norm”. Others are just general information being sought by myself.

Me and my partner Milton are planing to play this against the silent
Brother Anthony and expect great results.
I had 24 hcp!

Regards

Walter the Walrus.

#22 User is offline   32519 

• Insane 2-Diamond Bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Books, bridge, philately

Posted 2012-February-11, 02:33

People are forever designing new bidding systems as fun exercises, “knowing” more often than not, they will rarely if ever get to play them in any tournament. This is no different. Attempting to modify someone else’s ideas in a non-natural system that you will have few opportunities to use is no fun. So pard and me decided to try something that, (as far as we know), has never been tried before by anyone else.

The crazy 1-level structure is an attempt at combing basic Precision principles (the 1 and 1 bids), with (not quite) constructive major suit orientated hands (the 1 and 1 bids), and mini pre-empts (the 1 and 1NT bids). That said, what do the bids promise and what are the first round responses?

1 = 20+ any distribution. The probability of being dealt such a hand is only 1.45%. 2/1 and SAYC players have an artificial 2 opening promising 22+ HCP. The probability of being dealt such a hand is only 0.42%. Yet they have it.
Responses
2 = negative, promising 0-3 HCP. The idea for using 2 as the negative response is threefold: (1) With 20+ HCP opener must surely be able to find another bid somewhere, (2) every attempt is made to ensure that opener becomes declarer, (using 1 as the negative response still runs the risk of the weak hand becoming declarer when that is openers suit), and (3) when responder starts supporting opener after a double negative he is showing a distributional hand; trump support and shortness anywhere else. With the right sort of hand, game can still be reached.
2 = “waiting,” promising 4+ HCP and game forcing. Sure the 1 bid is susceptible for pre-empting by the opponents. The agreements thus far are: (1) With 4+ and a 5-card major, show it as high as level 3, (2) with 4+ balanced, double, (3) pass with 0-3 HCP.

2 = 16-19 HCP any distribution. The probability of being dealt such a hand is 8.31%. Responses are similar to Precision in style.
2 = negative, promising 0-7 HCP. Anything else is similar to Precision promising 8+ HCP and game forcing. Depending on the level of any possible pre-empting by the opponents, responses are: (1) Pass with 0-4 HCP, (2) show any 5+ card suit with 5-7 HCP, (3) double promises 8+ HCP and is penalty orientated, especially if the opponents are vulnerable.

1 = 13-15 HCP, both suit length and strength concentrated in the majors, or balanced. Therefore when the bidding goes 1 (13-15 artificial), 1 (0-6 negative), 1NT (promising a balanced hand as in regular Precision). Responder can still use Jacoby Transfer bids after 1NT to improve the contract, including 2 as a transfer to . After the 1 first response showing 0-6 HCP, 2 couldn't possibly be Stayman. So we use it to transfer into a long suit instead.
The hands in the 10-15 HCP range with suit length and strength concentrated in the minors are opened 2.

1 = 11-12 HCP, balanced in first and second seat as a mini pre-empt, 5-card suit in third and fourth seat (the rule of 15).

1NT = 10 HCP exactly, balanced in first and second seat as a mini pre-empt, pass in third and fourth seat. The bid absolutely denies holding a 5-card suit. The probability of being dealt such a hand is 2.94%, still a reasonable rate of frequency. With a 1NT bid so low and so exact, the 2-level belongs to partner as follows –
2222 = to play, a so-called “shut-up” bid. Sure we gonna go for some telephone numbers here but we will keep record of the gains and losses before changing the 1NT bid.
2NT = a sort of “reverse Stayman.” Responder has 14+ HCP with a 4-card major. Responses are as follows –
Pass = no 4-card major and a really bad 10 HCP (not backed up by good 10s and 9s)
3 = both majors
3 = 4-card suit
3 = 4-card suit
3NT = no 4-card major, HCP backed up by good spot cards (10s and 9s)

Other responses to a 1NT opening bid –
33 = 6-card suit 15+ HCP, invitational to 3NT or 5 of minor
33 = 5-card suit 14+ HCP, game invitational

View Postgwnn, on 2012-January-30, 06:04, said:

It will never work.

Making these sort of sweeping statements have yet to be proved. Walter the Walrus and his partner, Dumbo the Elephant, are having fun with these crazy ideas.

#23 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-February-11, 06:13

yet you seem to be perfectly happy with giving up on a treatment based on exactly one bad hand ;)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#24 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-February-11, 09:49

38 different HCP values, 36 first calls. COINCIDENCE?

pass=0
1C=2
1D=3
1H=4
1S=5
1NT=6
2C=7
2D=8
2H=9
2S=10
2NT=11
3C=12
3D=13
3H=14
3S=15
3NT=16
4C=17
4D=18
4H=19
4S=20
4NT=21
5C=22
5D=23
5H=24
5S=25
5NT=26
6C=27
6D=28
6H=29
6S=30
6NT=31
7C=32
7D=33
7H=34
7S=35
7NT=37

The only problem hands with this system are 1 and 36 counts, but in practice you can always uograde or downgrade them one step.
      George Carlin

#25 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2012-February-11, 10:45

View Post32519, on 2012-February-11, 02:33, said:

1 = 20+ any distribution. The probability of being dealt such a hand is only 1.45%. 2/1 and SAYC players have an artificial 2 opening promising 22+ HCP. The probability of being dealt such a hand is only 0.42%. Yet they have it.
Responses
2 = double negative by responder, promising 0-3 HCP. The idea for using 2 as a double negative is threefold: (1) With 20+ HCP opener must surely be able to find another bid somewhere, (2) every attempt is made to ensure that opener becomes declarer, (using 1 as the negative response still runs the risk of the weak hand becoming declarer when that is openers suit), and (3) when responder starts supporting opener after a double negative he is showing a distributional hand; trump support and shortness anywhere else. With the right sort of hand, game can still be reached.
2 = “waiting,” promising 4+ HCP and game forcing. Sure the 1 bid is susceptible for pre-empting by the opponents. The agreements thus far are: (1) With 4+ and a 5-card major, show it as high as level 3, (2) with 4+ balanced, double, (3) pass with 0-3 HCP.

Did I read this correct, and there are two responses to the 1 opening, 2 negative and 2 4+?

Edit: below it is mentioned that typo error has been corrected, not sure where to find this correction, unless it was the change from "double negative" to "negative" for the 2 response
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#26 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-11, 11:18

View Postglen, on 2012-February-11, 10:45, said:

Did I read this correct, and there are two responses to the 1 opening, 2 double negative and 2 4+?

I corrected the typo error. This crazy system is far from completion. I keep monitoring this thread for any constructive feedback, much like Zelandakh gave higher up. I always appreciate anything constructive.

#27 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-11, 18:37

Your 1C responses seem to be like taking all the advantages of playing a strong club, and hitting it with a wrecking ball. The whole point of having the strong bid as low as 1C is so the partnership can use up as much space as physically possible (some even go to strong PASS systems when its legal for that extra bit of room), meanwhile, if 2C and 2D are your only responses, you are not gaining anything. You said that you made the 2C the double negative in order to avoid wrong-siding, but you are doing that anyway with your 2D response. Since 4+ is more likely than 0-3, you are actually wrong-siding it more often.

Also, it may help to stop thinking about frequencies and think a bit more about what is useful to the system. As an extreme example, I could have a 7S opening as showing any balanced hand with 4 spades, it will come up a lot, it doesn't make it a good idea though.

Also, 1NT-2NT is non-forcing despite showing 14+HCP, really? Yes you say opener won't pass very often, but the fact that he can pass is a major concern. What if responder has a 25 count and wanted to know about a 4 card major in case 7M was on?

I'm really not a fan of HCP-before-shape systems, they are simply too vulnerable to competition. The last time I declared a contract with an opp having a monster balanced hand (20 count on that occasion), I ended 4Hx+1 without even extreme shape.
Wayne Somerville

#28 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-11, 23:54

View Postmanudude03, on 2012-February-11, 18:37, said:

Also, 1NT-2NT is non-forcing despite showing 14+HCP, really? Yes you say opener won't pass very often, but the fact that he can pass is a major concern. What if responder has a 25 count and wanted to know about a 4 card major in case 7M was on?

Thanks for this. It was such an obvious oversight on our behalf that we have corrected it immediately. 1NT-2NT is now forcing.

Regarding the responses to 1, you are correct here as well. Will relook at that.

No doubt once we start playing this at our local bridge club other obvious oversights will jump out of the woodwork (paperwork?). Nonetheless, it was still fun to do.

#29 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-February-12, 06:44

At the risk of stopping trolling on your system, I have a real question about it. What do you do with hands that fit the HCP range but not the description? With 10 hcp of course you can pass, for instance, but what of the 1 opening?
1=13-15 with "both suit length and strength concentrated in the majors, or balanced"

What do you do if you have a 13 count that is unbalanced but it does not have length or strength concentrated in the majors?
      George Carlin

#30 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 10:02

View Postgwnn, on 2012-February-12, 06:44, said:

At the risk of stopping trolling on your system, I have a real question about it. What do you do with hands that fit the HCP range but not the description? With 10 hcp of course you can pass, for instance, but what of the 1 opening?
1=13-15 with "both suit length and strength concentrated in the majors, or balanced"

Regarding the 1 bid, I am looking for some suggestions from MOSCITO players. The bid is designed to be semi-destructive to the opponents. The easiest hands to cope with are those containing 5 or balanced.
When the bidding goes:
1 (13-15 artificial)
1 (0-6 negative) it is easy to (a) pass with a 5-card suit, or (b) bid 1NT with a balanced hand. When the opponents enter the auction showing some values, with the right sort of holding it should be possible to push them out of their comfort zone into the 3-level.

When the bidding goes:
1 (13-15 artificial)
1 (0-6 negative)
1NT (balanced)
Responder can still strive to improve the auction with Jacoby Transfer bids; 2 = transfer to , 2 = transfer to , 2 = transfer to . With a 6-card or longer suit, 2 is used to transfer to 3.
When 1NT is doubled for penalty, we are considering various escape routes:
Option 1: Redouble = Lebensohl demanding opener to bid 2. This might be the only way to keep opener as declarer on level 2 when responder has a long suit. Transfer bids are otherwise unaffected.
Option 2: Redouble = Requiring the of bidding 4-card suits up the line searching for a 4-4 fit. We are not to keen on this option, instead trying to limit the damage for the doubled contract. (Someone else may have a better suggestion here).

The problem hands occur where opener has a 5-card suit and the bidding goes:
1 (13-15 artificial)
1 (0-6 negative)
?
When the hand is semi-balanced, 1NT may be the best option. With a good suit or a 6-card suit, we don’t hesitate to rebid 2. It is descriptive of the hand and also consumes bidding space for the opponents.

I’m hoping the MOSCITO players can provide some better continuation bidding sequences for the 1 bid.

#31 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2012-February-12, 10:09

why do you quote my question if you aren't going to answer it?
      George Carlin

#32 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 11:13

I think the OP obviously hasn't spent much time thinking about his system and hasn't thought to debug it. He isn't the first person who has posted a garbage system and then partially excused it being garbage because he is "having fun", but most people on this forum are interested in discussing systems that have at least some theoretical merit. I think he's wasting everyone's time.

#33 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 12:32

View Poststraube, on 2012-February-12, 11:13, said:

I think the OP obviously hasn't spent much time thinking about his system and hasn't thought to debug it. He isn't the first person who has posted a garbage system and then partially excused it being garbage because he is "having fun", but most people on this forum are interested in discussing systems that have at least some theoretical merit. I think he's wasting everyone's time.

This is an extremely selfish statement to make. You are implying that whenever you designed a new system, you got it right the first time. If we got it right the first time there would be no need to come to the forums.

The OP stated that we were having difficulty with the continuation structure after the 1 opening. Thanks to other posters we believe that we are well on the way to resolving this. Go back two posts and see the reply to gwnn. Our initial thoughts were channelled into a different direction by others. This tells me that the forums work.

Gwnn possibly missed an earlier post to the minor suit orientated hands in the 10-15 HCP range. These are opened 2. In any system (including regular Precision with the nebulous 1 opening) you will be dealt hands that don’t optimally fit in anywhere. So before deciding on what to open, consider what your second bid will be after partner’s response. Based on that, make the appropriate opening.

#34 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2012-February-12, 13:28

Speaking for one MOSCITO player, I ain't touching this with a 10 foot pole
Alderaan delenda est

#35 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-12, 23:51

You guys seem to be getting unnecessarily tangled up in the 1♥ bid. Well let me untangle it for you.
Here’s the deal:
1♥..13-15 HCP, either 5+♥ suit, 5+♠ suit, balanced or semi-balanced
..2♠..0-6 Negative
....Pass = 5+ ♠ suit. With the right sort of hand and/or favourable vulnerability, the auction can be lifted to 2♠ pushing the opponents out of their comfort zone into the 3-level.
....1NT = balanced/semi-balanced
.......2♣2♦2♥2♠ all transfer bids to improve the auction
....2♥ = Good 5-card suit or a 6-card suit, competing for the part score
..1NT..7-10 HCP minor suit orientated hand
..2♣...7-11 HCP 3+ support for a ♥ suit
..2♦...7-11 HCP 3+ support for a ♠ suit
..2♥...7-11 HCP 3+ support for both ♥♠
..2NT..11 HCP, invitational, minor suit orientated hand
..3♣...GF, 12+ HCP 3+ support for a ♥ suit
..3♦...GF, 12+ HCP 3+ support for a ♠ suit
..3♥...GF, 12+ HCP, 3+ support for both ♥♠
..3♠...Minor suit Stayman, mild slam try
....4♣♦ = Minor wood for the suit bid, accepting the mild slam try
....5♣♦ = To play, hand not suitable for 3NT
..3NT..To play, 12-16 HCP, minor suit orientated hand

So what do you do with only 12 HCP and a 5-card ♥ suit? Here are some options to consider:
1.) Do you have a 4-card side suit? If yes, the hand meets the Rule of 20 requirements. Open the bidding.
2.) Is partner already a passed hand? If yes, the hand probably belongs to the opponents. But that doesn’t mean you need to pass and make life easy for them. Open with 1♥ and keep them guessing.
3.) At favourable vulnerability and partner already a passed hand, open 2♥. Don’t roll over and play dead.

The fact that this system violates much of what is considered normal, doesn’t automatically classify it as unworkable. How many play T-Rex? Outside of New Zealand, probably not that many. Maybe this system should be renamed “The Rhino.” At the rate these animals are being poached, the species will soon become extinct as well.

Many of my threads have been posted to find out the thinking behind certain conventions. In particular here are the threads on Flannery and Gerber. I wanted to know what all the fuss was about regarding all the Flannery/Gerber bashing. Turns out much of the bashing is completely unfounded. Many top USA players have Flannery on their CCs. I have absolutely no idea who started the Flannery/Gerber bashing. Maybe it was some or other bridge guru who decided that his appraisement of Flannery was better than the USA players using it. Then other self-appraised bridge guru’s also started jumping on “Bash Flannery/Gerber” bandwagon. Another example of a convention falling into disfavour is Cappelletti. Even the creators of Cappelletti don’t use it anymore. I’ve already had a go at Jacoby 2NT. Fred Gitelman’s modification was the only version that managed to find the ♥ slam. Maybe it was a bit much suggesting to dump J2NT altogether. But at least rethink if your version is optimal or not. I am lining up to have a go at the Multi as well. From all the feedback received to that thread, the downsides for Multi outweigh the upsides. Yet it remains popular. Why? I have absolutely no idea. Perhaps those still playing it haven’t yet figured out that the downsides outweigh the upsides. Or maybe no one has yet bothered to put in the effort to come up with something else where the upsides outweigh the downsides.

#36 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-13, 02:50

Let's see how this fares opposite a tiny little bit of preemption.
1-(2)-...
You hold xx-KJxx-Kxx-Kxxx. Now what?
1/ You pass. Too bad, it goes (3)-P-(P) and you miss game opposite Ax-Axxxx-xx-Axx
2/ You X for T/O (???), and again 4th hand bids 3. Now what if opener has 5? Can he bid them at the 3-level? Or, if he has to pass, what if he has 5?
3/ You bid 2N (NF I assume), and again 4th hand bids 3. Again, what does opener do with 5? With 5?

#37 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-13, 04:21

View Postantonylee, on 2012-February-13, 02:50, said:

Let's see how this fares opposite a tiny little bit of preemption.
1-(2)-...
You hold xx-KJxx-Kxx-Kxxx. Now what?
1/ You pass. Too bad, it goes (3)-P-(P) and you miss game opposite Ax-Axxxx-xx-Axx
2/ You X for T/O (???), and again 4th hand bids 3. Now what if opener has 5? Can he bid them at the 3-level? Or, if he has to pass, what if he has 5?
3/ You bid 2N (NF I assume), and again 4th hand bids 3. Again, what does opener do with 5? With 5?

Now this is good. It tells me that you have been thinking about this madness. Before answering your question, let’s see how the auction would progress in 2/1, etc.
The bidding would go:
1♥-2♦-3♦-X
3♥-?

The 3♦ bid being a cue-bid raise.
The X showing ♦ support.
At favourable vulnerability, the 2♦ overcaller may push on to level 4. Your assumption of missing a game contract in ♥ with a combined 22 HCP count is based on the belief that the ♦A is held by the overcaller. That isn’t necessarily true although probable. It’s also based on the assumption that the ♥Q is dropping underneath the AK. There is no guarantee that standard bidders will reach the ♥ game.

Now to your question:
The opposition interference has disrupted normal communication channels. So now they change. X would indeed be for takeout with 7-11 HCP and support for BOTH majors. Here you can support only 1, so just bid it, 2♥ in your example hand. Fourth hand also enters the auction with a 3♦ bid. A ♥ fit is known and you can compete for the part score in 3♥. Same result as in standard bidding.
But what if opener’s suit is ♠? Up to the 3♦ bid the auction remains unaltered. Opener will pass the 3♦ bid knowing about the major suit misfit. With a combined 22 HCP count, we now switch to defence and try to get the plus score by defeating the contract.

#38 User is offline   antonylee 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-February-13, 05:44

View Post32519, on 2012-February-13, 04:21, said:

Now this is good. It tells me that you have been thinking about this madness. Before answering your question, let’s see how the auction would progress in 2/1, etc.
The bidding would go:
1♥-2♦-3♦-X
3♥-?

The 3♦ bid being a cue-bid raise.
The X showing ♦ support.
At favourable vulnerability, the 2♦ overcaller may push on to level 4. Your assumption of missing a game contract in ♥ with a combined 22 HCP count is based on the belief that the ♦A is held by the overcaller. That isn’t necessarily true although probable. It’s also based on the assumption that the ♥Q is dropping underneath the AK. There is no guarantee that standard bidders will reach the ♥ game.

A decent 4th seat won't X with any raise, that would give waaaay too many possibilities to opener (who can now use P, XX, 3H as different kinds of hands that do not have to commit to game). At imps playing some natural system it looks normal to go to game on the second round no matter what happens (except if 4th hand doubles and opener now has some way to show a sub-minimum opening :P)
By the way, the hand I gave opener isn't even 13-15, you can replace the J by the Q or the K by the A for a decent 23-pt game.

But more importantly:

Here you can support only 1, so just bid it, 2♥ in your example hand.

Oh, really? Now what do you do holding Kx-KQxxxx-Kxx-xx after 1-(2)? Bid 2 and hope that at some point, after enough rebids, partner understands that it was a minimum 6-card suit, not a 4-card suit? Or say, likewise, after 1-(2)-2-(P), what does opener do with a hand with s and no stop? Oh, I'll cue-bid 3 and suddenly we're at the 3-level scrambling for a non-existent fit with barely game-invitational values...

Sure, have fun designing your system (I'm all for experimentation) but make sure it can withstand at least non-preemptive competition (because I haven't even talked about 3m overcalls yet...).

#39 User is offline   mgoetze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sleeping, Eating

Posted 2012-February-13, 06:41

View Post32519, on 2012-February-12, 23:51, said:

I am lining up to have a go at the Multi as well. From all the feedback received to that thread, the downsides for Multi outweigh the upsides. Yet it remains popular. Why? I have absolutely no idea.

If you were capable of reading that thread properly you would know. But since you choose to only consider those statements which in some way, especially when ripped out of context, support your foregone conclusion, it remains a mystery to you. You absolutely ignore basic premises such as the fact that almost everyone wants a way to show a weak 2 bid in a major, and then when someone says the reason to play multi is that you free up 2 and 2 for something else you conclude there is no reason to play multi at all.

View Post32519, on 2012-February-13, 04:21, said:

Now this is good. It tells me that you have been thinking about this madness.

The only thing he's been thinking about more than the rest of us is how to explain to you that this system is hopeless.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"
    -- Bertrand Russell

#40 User is offline   32519 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-13, 16:05

View Postantonylee, on 2012-February-13, 05:44, said:

A decent 4th seat won't X with any raise, that would give waaaay too many possibilities to opener (who can now use P, XX, 3H as different kinds of hands that do not have to commit to game). At imps playing some natural system it looks normal to go to game on the second round no matter what happens (except if 4th hand doubles and opener now has some way to show a sub-minimum opening :P)
By the way, the hand I gave opener isn't even 13-15, you can replace the J by the Q or the K by the A for a decent 23-pt game.

I think you’re losing sight of some basics. Bridge is a partnership, exchanging information by both partners during the auction to reach the best spot. The 1♥ opening exchanges the first bit of information, 13-15 HCP. This already conveys a minimum of 2 additional HCP over a natural 1M in Precision and other standard players who open with an 11 count. After the 2♦ overcall, responder only able to support ♥, simply bids it. With or without the 3♦ fourth seat intervention, opener raises to 3♥ announcing the fit. Now other bridge basics kick in: distributional points by responder, extra trumps, judgement, etc. Excluding judgement, the hand you submitted has 4 things in its favour which all justify the game bid; (1) 10 HCP (11 on the revised one), (2) an additional trump, (3) the probable favourable placing of the ♦K after the overcall, and (4) ♠ shortness.

But more importantly:Here you can support only 1, so just bid it, 2♥ in your example hand.

Oh, really? Now what do you do holding Kx-KQxxxx-Kxx-xx after 1-(2)? Bid 2 and hope that at some point, after enough rebids, partner understands that it was a minimum 6-card suit, not a 4-card suit?

Let’s see how the auction would progress in 2/1, etc.
The bidding would go:
1♠-2♦-2♥-3♦
In standard bidding the 2♥ bid would show a 5+ card suit and 10+ HCP. With a minimum and no ♦ stop, opener will most likely pass. Now it goes back to responder to make the next decision. 3♥ easy with a 6-card suit. The 4♥ contract will now be bid.

So how does this change with this crazy new system?
1♥-2♦-2♥-3♦
P-P-?

Let us analyse the auction thus far from responder’s point of view:
1). Responder knows about a minimum combined 24 HCP between the hands. In the right combination it should produce game.
2.) Opener failed to support the 2♥ bid, pointing towards a ♠ holding by opener.
3.) Responder is holding a ♦ stop AND a 6-card ♥ suit AND an unbalanced hand.
4.) Both opponents are bidding ♦ and responder holds 3. The odds of opener holding a stiff are greatly increased.
5.) Opener didn’t bid 3♠ (which would indicate a 6-card suit and maximum) over 3♦; indicating a 5-3-1-4 holding.
6.) Responder has a number of options now. Bid the 3NT game OR invite game in ♥ by bidding 3♥ OR bid 4♥ directly. With opener’s probable holding already deduced from the bidding, there is no need to invite game by bidding 3♥. So with the hand you gave, a jump to 4♥ now will be easy.

Or say, likewise, after 1-(2)-2-(P), what does opener do with a hand with s and no stop? Oh, I'll cue-bid 3 and suddenly we're at the 3-level scrambling for a non-existent fit with barely game-invitational values...

Let’s see how the auction would progress in 2/1, etc.
The bidding would go:
1♥-2♦-2♠-P
?
The meaning of the 2♠ bid in standard will have a major impact on how the auction progresses. It could mean one of the following:
1.) A negative free-bid. Here it will then need to be a 6-card suit with 5-9 HCP
2.) Natural and game forcing.

Let us assume that it is natural and game forcing. Then it will be a 5-card suit and 13+ HCP. You end up in game, either 3NT or 4 of a major.

So how does this change with this crazy new system?
1♥-2♦-2♠-P
?
You rightly say that the auction can now easily be pushed to level 3 on a non-existent fit.
This is how I see it:
1.) With a minimum response (7-8 HCP, no ♥ support and poor ♠ support), Pass is always an option. You are now looking at playing in a 5-2 ♥ suit when opener rebids 2♥ over 2♦. Should opener perchance show a ♠ suit, you are now looking at a delayed raise. With minimum values the auction will die in 3♠.
2.) With 9-11 HCP and a couple of ♠ honours, bid the suit.
3.) Opener does not yet know what the upper end of responders hand is, neither if responder has a ♦ stop. 3NT may still be on. So the 2♠ bid will end up being forcing for 1 round.

So how should the bidding now continue? Well obviously it depends on your holding.
1.) With no other bid available, 2NT would be the only option. With no ♦ stop in either hand, the contract is going down at least 1.
2.) With a 5-card ♣ suit, show it. Give responder a choice of suits.
3.) With a 6-card ♥ suit, bid it on level 3.

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users