BBO Discussion Forums: Dispatch from the Front #2 - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dispatch from the Front #2

#1 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-February-24, 12:17

West leads the J; low, low, Q. When you cash a high trump, both opps follow low. What's the best matchpoint plan?
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

#2 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Math, Bridge, Beer. Often at the same time.

Posted 2012-February-24, 13:03

I know I'm going to regret this line once I commit to it, but I'm gonna play LHO for J10x(x) and play 3 rounds of clubs pitching a diamond and then run the H10, preserving the high spade as an entry to finesse again in hearts. I hope for 11 tricks this way.

If LHO ruffs the 3rd round of clubs, I'll be unhappy, but I'll overruff and exit a diamond toward hand. I think lefty should win this and exit a trump, but there's an off chance that the DAK are onside, as well as a chance that he won't exit a trump.

If all attempts at 11 fail, I have plenty of chances still for 10, which I expect will still net some portion of the MPs.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#3 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-24, 13:26

Blah, now looking at the holdings from which LHO would lead the J [I'm counting J, Jx, J10x, J10xx, J10xxx, J10xxxx], it looks like 15 are winning and 22 are losing, so if all are equally likely (they are not), I should just draw the other trump, heart to the ace, draw trump, club club pitching a diamond, and lob toward the Q for a 50/50 shot at 11 and a guaranteed 10.

But I think things like Jx increase the likelihood that LHO leads from a more robust holding in a red suit. I'm not sure how to weight these holdings.
"I think maybe so and so was caught cheating but maybe I don't have the names right". Sure, and I think maybe your mother .... Oh yeah, that was someone else maybe. -- kenberg

"...we live off being battle-scarred veterans who manage to hate our opponents slightly more than we hate each other.” -- Hamman, re: Wolff

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-24, 22:17

There is a case for cashing 2nd and overtaking from dummy if LHO follows. If 3-2 we will be in good position. Clear trumps and play from dummy. If RHO wins this we are cold for 11 tricks, if LHO wins and they cash another we are still cold for 11 trix. If LHO plays a we go up with Ace and either

a- discard on 3rd and play a towards dummy and try to guess for 11th trick

b- Cash all remaining trumps and try for something to happen.

I would play the line A i guess.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-25, 10:39

View PostMrAce, on 2012-February-24, 22:17, said:

There is a case for cashing 2nd and overtaking from dummy if LHO follows. If 3-2 we will be in good position. Clear trumps and play from dummy. If RHO wins this we are cold for 11 tricks, if LHO wins and they cash another we are still cold for 11 trix. If LHO plays a we go up with Ace and either

a- discard on 3rd and play a towards dummy and try to guess for 11th trick

b- Cash all remaining trumps and try for something to happen.

I would play the line A i guess.

Are you cold for 11 if RHO wins the first diamond and leads a club? You have entry problems. Seems like your line (w optimal defense) is always going to come down to playing for the HK onside. But maybe I'm missing something? Same problem if LHO wins the first diamond (not unlikely) and leads a club (not unlikely).

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-February-25, 12:47

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-24, 13:26, said:

Blah, now looking at the holdings from which LHO would lead the J [I'm counting J, Jx, J10x, J10xx, J10xxx, J10xxxx], it looks like 15 are winning and 22 are losing, so if all are equally likely (they are not), I should just draw the other trump, heart to the ace, draw trump, club club pitching a diamond, and lob toward the Q for a 50/50 shot at 11 and a guaranteed 10.

But I think things like Jx increase the likelihood that LHO leads from a more robust holding in a red suit. I'm not sure how to weight these holdings.

I think it's very unlikely that LHO has led from Jx. With a strong notrump on the right and a one-suiter on the left, that's a very unappealing lead.

If we discount Jx and assume that they'd always lead a club from the other holdings, that makes it about 50:50 whether the clubs will stand up.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#7 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2012-February-25, 19:51

View Postwyman, on 2012-February-25, 10:39, said:

Are you cold for 11 if RHO wins the first diamond and leads a club?

You are correct, i am not cold, i missed the fact that lead was .

EDIT : In this case i wld take the 2nd cash 3rd one and discard a and ruff 4th and play 2nd , now i am cold for 11 if rho takes it and i am on finesse if lho takes it (he has to play heart) Of course if everyone followed 3rd , if not i wld discard a instead and hope for finesse
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#8 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner

Posted 2012-February-25, 22:04

I run good so I'd cash 3 clubs pitching a diamond and then lead a heart to the 9, then spade to the queen, heart to the queen.

#9 User is offline   wyman 

• Redoubling with gusto
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-08, 08:31

bump for results [and yes, i know it's irrelevant, but still...]

#10 User is offline   daveharty 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, juggling, disc sports, Jane Austen, writing, cosmology, and Mexican food

Posted 2012-March-08, 09:34

View Postwyman, on 2012-March-08, 08:31, said:

bump for results [and yes, i know it's irrelevant, but still...]

Sorry Brian, didn't mean to leave you hanging! The full hand:

At the table my thinking was similar to MrAce's; when West followed to the second spade I overtook in dummy, and now ten tricks was the limit.
Revised Bridge Personality: 44 43 33 44

Dianne, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies... --Agent Dale Cooper

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users