• You cannot reply to this topic

Free bid options

#61 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-March-01, 00:10

bd71, on 2012-February-29, 04:59, said:

Team game. No relevant special agreements.

1. Agree/disagree with decision to NOT overcall first round?

2. At this stage in bidding, what general strength (and/or spade length) would be suggested by 2, 3, and 4 bids?

3. What is your call (if not clear from your answer to #2)?

1- Depends on your pd's expectation from your overcalls. This is auto overcall for me. I can not have this hand if i pass.

2- Having a style that made me pass over 1 , it is definetely 3 now for me. If i was forced to bid something else i would rather go with 4 than 2
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#62 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2012-March-01, 00:26

HighLow21, on 2012-February-29, 09:36, said:

I would bid 2 and pass partner's raise if he raises me, unless I know partner to be an underbidder.

This does not seem right to me..
If partner raises he is asking me to bid game with max.
I rate the hand as max in context of a decision to bid 2
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#63 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2012-March-01, 00:59

This whole thing reminds me of an advanced player I once played against. The whole field was in the same contract, and I was the only one to make it. She asked me why I played that particular way, and I explained it. It took me quite a while, because it was a complicated hand, and afterwards she said: "omg, there are so many things you've just explained that I wouldn't have considered, I've got a lot to learn".

If you think a 1 overcall is ludicrous, that's your right, but don't claim it is ludicrous, because it's not. It's a modern style played by quite a few top players based on solid principles. If they play it, it must have merit. It's not because you've never considered it that it must be all bad.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#64 User is offline   Cthulhu D 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Overbidding

Posted 2012-March-01, 01:39

I would overcall 1S - as aclub player i have not got nailed, and it gets your hand in the picture now.

IMHO The thing is you have to have an agreement about what you do with an A and K more (and wether you'd still overcall if the A of diamonds was the queen.

This requires some partnership discussion - and a raise structure that let's you get partner in on the joke and stop low.

#65 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-March-01, 01:59

I would always overcall 1S on this; many very experienced players do. True, it does not take away much room, but it does get my suit into the game now. It may be far more difficult to come in later.
To HighLow21, would you bid 1S over 1C on this hand?
Where are you parrot?

#66 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2012-March-01, 04:41

I would never overcall here. However I think its a msut to have a way to show a good 2S bid here these auction are fairly frequent.

My default style is to play 2H transfer comp or GF and 2S being a good 2S. I would bid 2S very agressively but wouldnt like to jump to 3S and go down.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#67 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2012-March-01, 05:03

BTW 1 is obvious, and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
Posted Image
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#68 User is offline   Nabooba 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-01, 05:41

benlessard, on 2012-March-01, 04:41, said:

I would never overcall here. However I think its a msut to have a way to show a good 2S bid here these auction are fairly frequent.

My default style is to play 2H transfer comp or GF and 2S being a good 2S. I would bid 2S very agressively but wouldnt like to jump to 3S and go down.

Well up to you. In that case you will never play with me - we won't play bridge either! You are not aggressive and I do not like passive people. I won't call you a wimp though.
Where are you parrot?

#69 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2012-March-01, 05:46

Seems like an easy 3S to me. You have 5 cards and all... plus a useful singleton and hcp in the right places. 2S would be quite an underbid to me.

#70 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2012-March-01, 06:02

Nabooba, on 2012-March-01, 05:41, said:

Well up to you. In that case you will never play with me - we won't play bridge either! You are not aggressive and I do not like passive people. I won't call you a wimp though.

Well ..., I would not overcall as well, and I dont think I am considered a sane bidder on
the table with regards to aggressiveness.

But if someone comes to a fast final conclusion, taking only one board / one actions in an
auction into account, than I would say, this is a reason to not consider this one as possible
partner for the future.

With kind regards
Marlowe

PS: I can understand the reason for overcalling, we have the spades, and this may be enough
for lots of peoble, but we will have the spades next round as well, and maybe we will be able
to bid them later.
What some peoble seem to forget is, that not overcalling in the direct seat, does not imply,
that the spades will never be bid.
Trying to get in early is sound advice, but is not always be best, making the decision depend on
additional factors, making your bids a bit unpredictable will it make harder for them, and for
partner.
And making your bids better better defined, makes it easier for them, but also easier for partner.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#71 User is offline   y66 

Posted 2012-March-01, 09:10

1S for me for same reason as MrAce.

One man's trash ...

http://www.youtube.c...e&v=pNWrLIib090
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter

#72 User is offline   S2000magic 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:magic, horseback riding, hiking, camping, F1 racing, bridge, mathematics, finance, teaching

Posted 2012-March-01, 09:17

Free, on 2012-March-01, 00:59, said:

If they play it, it must have merit.

While I agree with you that it's a style that is playable - and has its share af adherants, including some of the best players in the world - the argument that "if they play it, it must have merit" isn't particularly strong. The strong argument would be to outline those merits.
BCIII

"If you're driving [the Honda S2000] with the top up, the storm outside had better have a name."

Simplify the complicated side; don't complify the simplicated side.

#73 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-March-08, 07:55

bd71, on 2012-February-29, 04:59, said:

Wow, lots of heat and not much light :rolleyes:

I don't want to get in to the over call debate but I have a question for those who want to allow for partner borrowing our K and bidding on around 10 pts, well an observation that I would like to put forward for comment.

East couldn't even muster a 1NT bid over the 1H opening so has at most 5 crap pts or more likely given some tendencies 4 pts and no Ace at that. We have 8 pts, which leaves 28 pts up for grabs. If partner only has 10 pts wouldn't West have made some sort of move with 18 pts, possibly bidding 3C to make our life hard?

Even if West's 2C shows a few more points, say 15, that still leaves partner with 13 pts so we have the balance of power and AK in one of partners suits.

Also, partner knows we've passed and doesn't know we have 5 spades. If partner is weak and ops have the points isn't there a benefit in bidding 3C on that basis alone? Yes, partner might take us for a stronger hand but as a B/I I have been punished enough at teams for underbidding and prefer to get withering looks from partner and team mates for being aggressive rather than conservative and missing a cold game.

I also like 3S because it makes life hard for East if he does want to get in to the bidding.

Regards,

Simon

#74 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2012-March-08, 09:07

I would overcall 1S because Justin would, and he has won stuff.

Having said that, I agree with quiditty that calling a choice made by JLOGIC (or anybody else) ludicrous is not offensive. Depending on the hand it may make you look dumb or overconfident, but it certainly shouldn't be offensive.

I remember writing recently that I thought that a call that mikeh would make was not reasonable at all. If we all start taking offense when somebody strongly disagrees with a call you would make, this forums would stop being the friendly cuddly place that it is now.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#75 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-24, 18:29

JLOGIC, on 2012-February-29, 20:24, said:

There are definitely some posters who's posts I don't care for that much but I don't usually say it openly without provocation from them.

You don't usually, but I do remember that I once made a post that you didn't like, and you called me a "hateful troll". I don't remember anything about the thread or the post, but the insult has stayed with me.

I don't feel because I'm "famous" I need to try harder at posting than I do right now... Posting a low content reply with what I'd do and how strongly I feel is generally considered better than posting nothing imo.

It is better, and I hope that people like HL will not discourage you from weighing in on a subject when you don't have the time or the inclination to write a detailed primer on the subject.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#76 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-25, 11:35

Vampyr, on 2012-March-24, 18:29, said:

You don't usually, but I do remember that I once made a post that you didn't like, and you called me a "hateful troll". I don't remember anything about the thread or the post, but the insult has stayed with me.

It is better, and I hope that people like HL will not discourage you from weighing in on a subject when you don't have the time or the inclination to write a detailed primer on the subject.

FWIW, Justin and I have had a detailed personal message discussion of this whole affair; I strongly commend his honesty and reasonableness in all of it; I now consider him a friend and ally, and I personally congratulated him on his Platinum Life Pairs victory with Bob Hamman.

And also FWIW, when I called the overcall ludicrous, I had no idea that Justin said that overcalling was right. I still don't like the overcall but I have no argument against any expert who likes the overcall. My personal view is that the overcall is great over 1, marginal over 1, and very questionable over 1.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#77 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2012-March-26, 02:29

HighLow21, on 2012-March-25, 11:35, said:

FWIW, Justin and I have had a detailed personal message discussion of this whole affair; I strongly commend his honesty and reasonableness in all of it; I now consider him a friend and ally, and I personally congratulated him on his Platinum Life Pairs victory with Bob Hamman.

And also FWIW, when I called the overcall ludicrous, I had no idea that Justin said that overcalling was right. I still don't like the overcall but I have no argument against any expert who likes the overcall. My personal view is that the overcall is great over 1, marginal over 1, and very questionable over 1.

FWI"Worthless", why is my post quoted above this? Am I supposed to care?
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#78 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-March-27, 11:37

Vampyr, on 2012-March-26, 02:29, said:

FWI"Worthless", why is my post quoted above this? Am I supposed to care?

It is better, and I hope that people like HL will not discourage you from weighing in on a subject when you...
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users